• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Saving Mr. Banks

I loved this movie so much. My parents are hesitant to buy it on DVD for us because they think it's sad. I've wanted to see this movie again since the credits stopped rolling. The acting was great, and I thought Tom Hanks was an incredible Walt. Hoping Saving Mr. Banks gets the appreciation it deserves soon :flower3:

Could anybody explain the title of the movie to me please? :) Thanks!

Mr. Banks is the Father in the family that Mary Poppins nannies for. Mary Poppins, contrary to public opinion, did not come to save the children. She comes to save their Father.
I can't elaborate on this as it would be a major spoiler.

I absolutely loved this movie. It was touching and interesting the whole way through. I laughed and cried. It was phenomenal.

Mr. Banks is the Father in the family that Mary Poppins nannies for. Mary Poppins, contrary to public opinion, did not come to save the children. She comes to save their Father.
I can't elaborate on this as it would be a major spoiler.

I absolutely loved this movie. It was touching and interesting the whole way through. I laughed and cried. It was phenomenal.

I agree. To understand the title, watch Mary Poppins and then watch Saving Mr. Banks. That will explain it perfectly.

It is an awesome movie. As Angelina Jolie was born to play Maleficent, so too was Tom Hanks born to play Walt Disney!

I agree. To understand the title, watch Mary Poppins and then watch Saving Mr. Banks. That will explain it perfectly.

It is an awesome movie. As Angelina Jolie was born to play Maleficent, so too was Tom Hanks born to play Walt Disney!

I get a lump in my throat just thinking about it. It really is such a sweet movie. I think anyone who has experienced having a less than doting father will find it really touching, even more so. I know this has become one of my favorite movies, ever. It's just so well done. Parts are hilarious, parts are relatable, parts are heartwarming, it is very much worth watching.

Though I didn't cry, it did touch an emotional chord or two within me. My sister was sitting beside me throughout and sobbing away to glory though. But there was a feel-good factor to the movie, once we were finished with it. Will watch it again.

If you haven't seen it, what facts are made up?

I'd answer, but I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen the film. Let's just say they took a LOT of liberties, as most movies based on true stories do. (Not to answer for Penny Pincher, who this question was intended for -- just putting it out there that yes, this movie wasn't as accurate as you may think.)

You might want to check out this and this for further reading... and even this.

Warning: People who have not seen the film shouldn't click the above links if they don't want spoilers!

I still enjoyed the film, even knowing a LOT of it was made up. I, like some others on here, cried at the end. Very emotional and entertaining. The acting was terrific, too. :thumbsup2

I'd answer, but I don't want to spoil it for people who haven't seen the film. Let's just say they took a LOT of liberties, as most movies based on true stories do. (Not to answer for Penny Pincher, who this question was intended for -- just putting it out there that yes, this movie wasn't as accurate as you may think.)

You might want to check out this and this for further reading... and even this.

Warning: People who have not seen the film shouldn't click the above links if they don't want spoilers!

I still enjoyed the film, even knowing a LOT of it was made up. I, like some others on here, cried at the end. Very emotional and entertaining. The acting was terrific, too. :thumbsup2

You've done your research! It is ok to say what you want as long as you reference it with a note that spoilers follow. We do that a lot around here. I'm glad you liked it, I think it gets more right then wrong. Some of the fact checks at some of the Google links are wrong or stretches, and some are not significant. For example, the movie is not a biopic of Travers so it wasn't wrong to skip her sex life and child. I will admit that the biggest change was by stopping the movie at the premiere with an implication she was moved. I did read that there is some disagreement on her feelings about the movie. She did not like the animation, and this movie admitted that, but she was angry after the premiere. Although I also read she watched the movie later and actually liked parts. While Walt didn't meet with her the entire time, he did meet with her and take her to Disneyland. And dramatizing their letters and other communications is OK. It is a movie after all.

Funny thing is, I've read it actually whitewashes Travers who was supposedly a very mean and unpleasant person without the redeeming qualities the movie added! Who really knows. They were both people. The movie did a good job overall with the idea of Poppins.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter