• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Saving Mr. Banks

It's called Saving Mr. Banks because Mary Poppins doesn't come to save the children. She comes to save him, to show him how to show affection to his kids, love his family, find joy in life, etc. It's about him finding what is truly important in life, his family.

i can't wait to see this film! I believe it mostly has to do with Traver's relationship with her father who was troubled.

We just returned from seeing 'Saving Mr. Banks'. It was everything I hoped it would be and yet, deeper and much more emotionally intense. Definitely not a child's movie. It touches on the raw wounds that drove P.L.Travors to pen Mary Poppins and how that, in turn, affected her ability, or better yet, inability, to release her story to Walt. Tom Hanks nailed this one and at the end, we all sat still, not wanting to leave the theater as the credits rolled by, highlighting original photos of Walt and Ms. Travors. Storytelling at its best. I spy an Oscar contender. :)

Saw it tonight. Stupendously fantastical!
This is what I expect from Disney!

We just returned from seeing 'Saving Mr. Banks'. It was everything I hoped it would be and yet, deeper and much more emotionally intense. Definitely not a child's movie. It touches on the raw wounds that drove P.L.Travors to pen Mary Poppins and how that, in turn, affected her ability, or better yet, inability, to release her story to Walt. Tom Hanks nailed this one and at the end, we all sat still, not wanting to leave the theater as the credits rolled by, highlighting original photos of Walt and Ms. Travors. Storytelling at its best. I spy an Oscar contender. :)

I saw it today and absolutley loved it!! The same thing happend at the end here...no one moved. Except for 2 teenagers that ran out, everyone else in the theater sat still not wanting to leave. Now that's a sign of a good movie!:thumbsup2

It was obvious that Tom did his homework and captured Walt's mannerisms and way of talking beautifully. He did a great job, but Emma Thompson stole the show! She was simply amazing! I'm sure there will be a few awards passed out for this movie!

Been waiting for this to release and can't wait to see it. Even the kids are looking forward to it (14 & 17). Love Tom Hanks, the man can do anything!

Saw it last night-I get emotional at these type movies and yup I was crying but so was my DH at the end at Mary Poppins premier oh boy!!!

No spoilers -It was incredible.

Linda

Saw it last night. Highly recommend it for adults and teens. This is the kind of movie where you know the budget is not huge, there are no special effects, but the story is extremely well done with superb acting. Everyone has already heard about the story line in that it follows Disney's relationship with P.T.Travers, the suthor of the Mary Poppins books, when he was trying to get her to sign over the rights to allow for the movie. And as noted above, there is a very emotional flashback story that goes on concerning P.T. Travers and her father (played by Colin Farrell), during which you will get to see a suberb child actress, Annie Rose Buckley. Just be aware it is far more the story of P.T. Travers than of Disney. Emma Thompson, always excellent, is truly outstanding here and will likely get a best actress nomination, and Hanks actually pulls off Disney very well. If you go make sure you do not leave before the credits because the credits provide pictures of the actual people depicted in the movie -- Disney, Travers and family, and the Disney personnel including the songwriters-- while putting up the names of the actors who portray them in the movie, and there is also a tape played from the time period which confirms that things depicted in the movie actually occurred.

Oh, that worries me. I may wait. I do not want to be depressed:/

I thought the movie was amazing. It does focus heavily on Travers's life and there are sad moments. I had goosebumps through a lot of it, smiled and laughed a lot, and cried at parts too. If you're a fan of Mary Poppins, I wouldn't hesitate to see it. I actually want to see it again in theaters. I don't think you'll leave feeling depressed.

I thought the movie was amazing. It does focus heavily on Travers's life and there are sad moments. I had goosebumps through a lot of it, smiled and laughed a lot, and cried at parts too. If you're a fan of Mary Poppins, I wouldn't hesitate to see it. I actually want to see it again in theaters. I don't think you'll leave feeling depressed.

As far as I can tell, many of the 'facts' of this movie are entirely made up at Mr Disney's benefit, of course. I would love to see it as I like both the leads, but I have no interest in being lied to by something purporting to be a true story. Mind you, that's most American 'historical' movies, always has been.

Penny Pincher said:
As far as I can tell, many of the 'facts' of this movie are entirely made up at Mr Disney's benefit, of course. I would love to see it as I like both the leads, but I have no interest in being lied to by something purporting to be a true story. Mind you, that's most American 'historical' movies, always has been.

If you haven't seen it, what facts are made up?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter