Saw "Brave." Love Merida. Wish the movie was just a little better.

Robo

1971 Castle in the Hub: Your lights are on!
Merida is a believable and very likable character.
Lots of fun to "spend some time" with her.

And, Brave is full of some, individually, really good scenes.

But, after seeing them all and making it to the end of the picture,
I can't help but think that, taken as a whole,
the movie lacks a lot in overall STORY content.

The LOOK of the film is outstanding... just beautiful, rich and detailed...
it looks "realer" than real life in many respects.

But, I just don't love the story... mainly because there just is not a lot THERE to love.

I'm wondering if the Merida Meet & Greet will (as time goes by)
be nearly as popular as the Rapunzel Meet & Greet.

Disney Animation's Tangled seems, oddly, to have a much, much richer and varied plot than Pixar's Brave.

We'll just have to see how the public takes to Merida vs. Rapunzel.

Merida is a believable and very likable character.
Lots of fun to "spend some time" with her.

And, Brave is full of some, individually, really good scenes.

But, after seeing them all and making it to the end of the picture,
I can't help but think that, taken as a whole,
the movie lacks a lot in overall STORY content.

The LOOK of the film is outstanding... just beautiful, rich and detailed...
it looks "realer" than real life in many respects.

But, I just don't love the story... mainly because there just is not a lot THERE to love.

I'm wondering if the Merida Meet & Greet will (as time goes by)
be nearly as popular as the Rapunzel Meet & Greet.

Disney Animation's Tangled seems, oddly, to have a much, much richer and varied plot than Pixar's Brave.

We'll just have to see how the public takes to Merida vs. Rapunzel.

Mostly agree--I like Tangled better. But Brave is still a worthy entry in the very strong Pixar stable.

We also saw Brave yesterday. It really was not as good as I've come to expect from Dusney/Pixar. DH fell asleep during the movie. It was missing so much of the story I loved with Tangled. Merida was a great character, but the movie was really lacking. I don't see us spending $ on Brave merchandise or the DVD.

As we were leaving the theater I mentioned to my husband that I saw potential for a woodcarver's workshop popping up in one of the parks soon.

It had some fun comic relief but I agree that the story line needed something.

Did the triplets have names?

I saw it yesterday with my daughter (6), stepmother, And brother (17), and all of us loved it. I really liked that the story was focused on being true to oneself and not getting a man. I ink Tangled did a good job with that, too, with e getting a man being a side note rather than the focus, but I thought the message was much stronger with Brave. There were some weak plot points that could have been improved, but overall I thought it was great.

I agree it was a bit slow to start, but visually beautiful! Can't fault the music and wonderful accents either. Although I had a sobbing 7 year old and teary moment toward the end myself, I wish it had also been 'more.'
Not sure I can really compare Rapunzel and Merida though, they seem like two movies further apart in many ways. Merida would still get my vote for princess if I had to pick one - what a wee firecracker she is and such a strong willed girl. Bit like my own ;) I like my 'princesses' to be true to who they are and the message recieved was worth it!

Brave is still a worthy entry in the very strong Pixar stable.

Yes, but BECAUSE it's from the mega-hit-maker juggernaut that is Pixar...

I put it in the "less than the sum of it's parts" category, as I liked a LOT
of the individual scenes.

And, many (most) (OK, virtually ALL) ;) of the characters were really entertaining.

But, taken as a whole film... (the "what's it all about?" aspect)
well, hmmmmmmmmmm.

I have to agree.. It wasnt a 'bad' story but could have done more.. BUT also have to keep it under a certain time to try to keep the target audience attention too :).. BEAUTIFUL though... What they do with those movies is nothing short of amazing.. But since they've been advertising it / pushing it for like 2 years, it better have looked good..

We took the grandkids yesterday......we all loved it............great story and the usual excelelnt Disney/Pixar prodcution and values!:cool1:

We will be going again with friends to the local cafe movie house when it gets there........please go see it and make up your own mind.........the cridics loved it!

AKK

...the cridics loved it!

Well, not quite so much as you'd think.

That's one of the anomalies of this film compared to nearly all of the other Pixar films.

Yes, Brave is getting very good reviews (75%, or so, positive.)

But, it's well worth noting that many (most) of the other
Pixar films get in the 90-99% positive review territory...
and that percentage means those other films were getting spectacular reviews,
especially in this age of skeptical reviewers.

Oh a happier note I thought La Luna was fantastic!

And the 3D technology really was beautifully done and enhanced the experience. Glad the youngest with us was 7 and will keep 3d glasses on and he pronounced it "good." He laughed a little and made a few "oh no..." comments as the plot unfolded.

I have never seen Tangled and had no desire to see it. I'm eagerly awaiting Brave, though.

Does anything think Merida will become a new Disney Princess staple? Or will she stay like Rapunzel and be sort of a "side" princess?

I personally hope she will become a permanent princess. She teaches girls bonds between family and strength to overcome social norms.

Does anything think Merida will become a new Disney Princess staple? Or will she stay like Rapunzel and be sort of a "side" princess?

I personally hope she will become a permanent princess. She teaches girls bonds between family and strength to overcome social norms.

I don't think either are going anywhere anytime soon. Tiana's still hanging around too, though that movie doesn't get the attention it deserves in my opinion.

I just saw it last night, and I can say that I didn't enjoy it as much as other Pixar films. That being said, I did like it, especially Merida and the overall beauty of the film.

I was surprised at the scary scenes. I thought it was a pretty intense movie for kids, and didn't offer as many cute kid moments. It felt like a Disney movie for adults.

Never saw Tangled. I was planning to see Brave, but dislike the plot device of the angry daughter turning the mom into a bear. Bear almost kills the dad and then mom becomes the symbol of terror? I don't care how sappy happy the ending is. I'll pass.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter