School Holidays/Breaks

hdrolfe

DIS Veteran
The Public board in Ottawa is having kids go back to school a week before Labour Day in 2020 and has a couple surveys about when to have Christmas and a couple extra holiday days. We are with the Catholic board which apparently won't be sharing their plans until January. Going back a week early in the summer is interesting, we often do Disney the week before Labour Day. No plans for 2020 but it's interesting. The two extra days are the Friday before March break and the Friday before Family day. Two options for the two-week Christmas break. Option 1 would involve ending classes on Friday, Dec. 18, 2020, and resuming on Monday, Jan. 4, 2021. Option 2 would involve ending classes on Tuesday, Dec. 22, and resuming on Wednesday, Jan. 6.
I think the only thing that hasn't changed is March Break, though starting it a day early would be great for planning a cruise. Not sure how many people are planning their vacation time this early :) I know I tend to book pretty early.

This is interesting ,,,, I'm in the Peel District School Board area.
Early summer start concerns me.
I am worried about schools that have no air conditioning systems,,,our school is over 150 years old.
We only have two rooms that have air conditioning for medically fragile students.

Hugs
Mel

I have booked my Christmas 2020 cruise already. TDSB better not change the schedule and screw up my plan! I remember there was one time TDSB had a different March break to have it link to the Easter holidays and it was not good for people planning trip over March break when different school boards had different dates.

I have booked my Christmas 2020 cruise already. TDSB better not change the schedule and screw up my plan! I remember there was one time TDSB had a different March break to have it link to the Easter holidays and it was not good for people planning trip over March break when different school boards had different dates.
Do you have the 2020-2021 TDSB calendar? I can't seem to find it anywhere. I'm curious about when school will start next September.

Seriously? Wow, I'm really glad I pulled our vacation back, I was going to go right till Labour day, but then the hurricanes this year made me nervous and we booked Aug 15-29. I thought we'd have a week to get ready for back to school, but this sounds like we might not. We are with the Catholic board too, but the public and catholic in Ottawa usually match up.

I work for both the public and Catholic boards here in Ottawa, both sent out surveys to staff recently, so I don't think anything has been decided yet...

From the article I read it sounded like the summer was a done deal but the other days and Christmas are to be voted on by parents.

Agree that theCatholoc board here will likely follow the public though. I hope it gets sorted quickly though, I will have to put in for my summer holiday requests in March I think. So they have that long :)

Dear god no I have already booked the last weeks of August flying home right before labour day. It never even dawned on me this could be a possibility.
little boys I am not concerned with DD will be going into grade 9.. I don’t even want to think about this

From what I understand, if they start the year after Labour Day, they have to run into July in order to have the right number of school days in the year. Not sure which is better? The school year template from the ministry says there are 196 possible days from September 1 to June 30 and they need to have 194 days minimum, so I guess it makes sense?

@TammyLynn33 Are you able to change your flights? I agree, the younger kids will manage but going into grade 9 would make it hard.

From what I understand, if they start the year after Labour Day, they have to run into July in order to have the right number of school days in the year. Not sure which is better? The school year template from the ministry says there are 196 possible days from September 1 to June 30 and they need to have 194 days minimum, so I guess it makes sense?

@TammyLynn33 Are you able to change your flights? I agree, the younger kids will manage but going into grade 9 would make it hard.

I don’t know. And I ha w no clue how to cancel nights Using dvc points as this is our welcome home stay. It never crossed my mind because since I’ve been to school it’s never happened

I don’t know. And I ha w no clue how to cancel nights Using dvc points as this is our welcome home stay. It never crossed my mind because since I’ve been to school it’s never happened

Hi TammyLynn33
Don't do anything too quick. Deep Breath here!!!
I would call your school board to get confirmation of any changes first.

I would talk to your daughter about how she would feel missing the first week,,,most teens given the choice would be ok with this,,also maybe a few friends that could pick up any timetables etc for her.
Would she or you consider her staying behind with a family member or trusted friend?

There are literally thousands of people that have pre made summer holiday plans for their kids so the board has to take this into consideration.

It will all work out Hon
Hugs
Mel

My kids always start school the Wednesday before Labour day. I think it has to do with having enough school days before June 24 (statutory holiday in QC). Planning a trip to DLR in August and debating if we should have them miss the first 3 days of school (2 half days and one full) or not. They will be in 3rd and 6th grade so last year we can do it.

It all is board dependent and none of the school calendars are finalized yet. The proposal I've seen for my local board has teachers back for PA Days before Labour day but kids still don't start until the Tuesday after Labour Day. And school year ends on June 30.

I am sure that parents will get to decide since ETFO has directed (elementary) teachers not to respond to the survey (it is sent by the government, and they are on work to rule). Not sure about OSSTF's view on the survey. Catholic board generally doesn't follow the Public board in our area, so lots of variability possible. Generally, when in dispute the boards follow the Ministry recommended calendar since it is published 4 years in advance and many families make plans based on those dates.

Personally, we would love the extra day before March break as well. We drive south, so getting a full day head start will make for a much more leisurely drive this year, but it will be what it will be.

This would really suck. We already booked a cruise and airline with us returning the Friday of Labor Day weekend. Is this Ottawa only or all of Ontario? Can they even switch it at 9 months out?

It all is board dependent and none of the school calendars are finalized yet. The proposal I've seen for my local board has teachers back for PA Days before Labour day but kids still don't start until the Tuesday after Labour Day. And school year ends on June 30.

That's exactly what happened last time this came up. DW is a teacher with TDSB and they started back and had to be in the school I think it was the Wednesday or the Thursday before Labour Day. She ended up taking an unpaid day off and we went ahead with our planned trip anyway (had to apply for it and get it approved but since there are no kids invovled and they didn't have to pay her it was basically found money for them). We have a HAL Alaska roundtrip from Vancouver booked for that week next summer, expecting something along the same lines.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter