School Holidays/Breaks

I wouldn't take this as gospel either. The calendar has "DRAFT" posted all over it, which means the Thames Valley board has not yet approved it. That is the situation here in Ottawa as well, the board still has not voted on it. FWIW I heard the board "preferred" option was that students return before Labour Day, however there is a lot of pressure (probably from all the people who assumed normal return and booked vacation time) to keep it normal.

Yup in York region as well. I am going on the basis of start day Sept 8. All the ymca camps, town camps have camps up to Sept 4. That is my clue that school starts after Labour day.
They can’t hold their registrations up to wait for the calendar to come out. I would suspect they are just hedging their bets to get their programs running. They could easily refund the final week if it came down to it.

They can’t hold their registrations up to wait for the calendar to come out. I would suspect they are just hedging their bets to get their programs running. They could easily refund the final week if it came down to it.
I agree, but some of these programs are for 2 weeks with overnights, I dont know if they would book these if they were not sure.
But then again.

This sounds tough to deal with. I live in B.C. and all of the parents in our district were just asked to provide their feedback for the calendars up to 2022-23.

It seems surprising that there is so much uncertainty in some parts of the country for 2020-21.

This sounds tough to deal with. I live in B.C. and all of the parents in our district were just asked to provide their feedback for the calendars up to 2022-23.

It seems surprising that there is so much uncertainty in some parts of the country for 2020-21.
It’s ridiculous how late the calendar is put out. No excuse for it.

I'm in Alberta and our school is back August 26th...but only for staff (me 😭)
Due to other commitments throughout the summer the only trip we can now have is August 11-25th so I'm landing at silly-o-clock and heading straight back to work for 8am the following morning.
Now I have to worry about crowds and hurricanes and flight delays on the way home!!

I'm in Alberta and our school is back August 26th...but only for staff (me 😭)
Due to other commitments throughout the summer the only trip we can now have is August 11-25th so I'm landing at silly-o-clock and heading straight back to work for 8am the following morning.
Now I have to worry about crowds and hurricanes and flight delays on the way home!!
At least you have the time change going for you.

It would be great to know 100% for sure (since I already have our trip booked and our return flight is Sept.5). But I'm in Windsor and as far as I can remember, students here have never started before Labour Day. From speaking with teacher friends and the principal of my son's high school, it sounds like the teachers in our board will be going back early for PD, but students will start the Tuesday after Labour Day, as usual. I hope they're right...

It’s ridiculous how late the calendar is put out. No excuse for it.

I agree. I'm from Saskatchewan and we don't have anything yet. I'm kind of hoping they go back before Labour Day otherwise our summer break is 10 weeks instead of the usual 9. That's a whole extra week I have to find child care for summer. Having a longer summer has got to affect school days, doesn't it??

I agree. I'm from Saskatchewan and we don't have anything yet. I'm kind of hoping they go back before Labour Day otherwise our summer break is 10 weeks instead of the usual 9. That's a whole extra week I have to find child care for summer. Having a longer summer has got to affect school days, doesn't it??
When are you normally let out? Here in Ontario, we get 8 weeks of summer. But this summer it's 9 weeks with it being a leap year.

When are you normally let out? Here in Ontario, we get 8 weeks of summer. But this summer it's 9 weeks with it being a leap year.

I'm pretty sure it's normally 9 weeks, and this year it's 10 unless they go back on September 1st. Unless you guys are let out later. We (Ottawa Catholic) are done June 25 this year (26th being a PD day). So from June 29 through September 4th is 10 weeks. Last year it was July 1st through September 3rd, 9 weeks.

I think we're normally off the last thursday of June (I think the Friday is PD day as well). This year it's June 25th.
Last year it was June 27th-Sept 3rd. 9 weeks.
If we don't go back until the 8th this year it will be 10 weeks.

http://www.peelschools.org/calendar...21 Regular Elementary and Secondary chart.pdf
Peel released their draft calendar. No PA day Before thanksgiving next year. I have to modify travel. Don’t go back til sept 8 though.
Oh. They're moving those PA days to the end of summer instead of through the year. Great for parents, not great for teachers. But that does help with people who have booked vacations.

You don't want your kids missing a day of school before Thanksgiving?

Oh. They're moving those PA days to the end of summer instead of through the year. Great for parents, not great for teachers. But that does help with people who have booked vacations.

You don't want your kids missing a day of school before Thanksgiving?
Daughter has twelve math. Advanced functions. Have to keep missed days to a minimum. Even one day is a lot. We were booked for six nights away in October over thanksgiving, making use of the holiday and PA day.

Hmm. Am I a bad mom because we're taking 3 days around this year's spring break? My kids are grades 12 and 10 (younger writing the OSSLT after we return)? Heck, these teacher's strikes are already impacting the teaching times, but at least there haven't been any snow days this year.

Hmm. Am I a bad mom because we're taking 3 days around this year's spring break? My kids are grades 12 and 10 (younger writing the OSSLT after we return)? Heck, these teacher's strikes are already impacting the teaching times, but at least there haven't been any snow days this year.
Not at all. My daughter just missed three days for a wdw holiday. The math is different. It’s so content heavy that missing a day does matter. She also misses for swim meets as she is a high performance swimmer.

Our summers are always 9 weeks and we always finish around June 22 (at the latest June 23 to have off on St-Jean June 24) so my kids never started their school year after Labour Day.

Our school board never has their PD days at Thanksgiving or around other holidays - I wish they would!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter