Screaming children

Status
Not open for further replies.

meaneausindisney

Earning My Ears
Ok so I feel bad even posting this but I have to throw it out there~

Hubby and I just got back from a GLORIOUS trip to Disney. It was just him and I as WE are the only children we can handle right now ":)

We noticed there were quite a few occassions where we were in a movie or some sort of "quiet time" attraction and there would be the lovely, top of the lungs screaming of a child. A majority of the parents were very good about taking their little one outside so as to not ruin the film/attraction for others. But some, well, just kept their scream, whining, miserable kid seated. Now on a "ride" I understand there is nothing you can do. But in things like the preshow for the Ellen's Energy ride, the Drew Carey sounds thing, the One Man's Dream film, etc - why disrupt everyone else, it's not terribly considerate if I can be so bold. Worst example was Sci-Fi Diner. Hubby and I were seated in a car and in the "front seat" if you will, was a mom, a dad and a very angry, spitting, crying 2 yr old girl who was squirming so much she nearly landed on our little Sci-Fi table! We had to ask to be moved (BTW ...and from then on Sci Fi was GREAT). BUT the mother turned to see us sitting a couple cars over and gave US a very dirty mean look!!!!!!!!! I don't get it.

Believe me I love kids and there were so many Magical moments I had because I got to hear something wonderful that a little kid said. It adds to the magic, but I had to throw out these thoughts and see if I'm alone!?

Thanks for letting me vent :earseek:

I too do not like the parents who allow their children to behave this way and do nothing about it! I would never blame the child, for they are the responsibility of the parents. I blame the parents. I have worked in areas where it is essential that the parents control their children, yet some let them run around like it is a playground, and when they get hurt, they blamed us.
I have little patience for parents who are like this and I too have had to move because of their inconsiderate behaviors.
I do think in a place like Disney, a ride or attraction can get ruined if you are submitted to a screaming and unhappy child. But, I am happy for you that you were able to experience and enjoy the attraction later on.
Jo

It continually amazes me and I'm glad you said something. Just think what a PERFECT opportunity a WDW experience is for teaching kids of any age the meaning of manners, patience, courtesy, kindness and so many other lessons. It's unfortunate so many don't seem to take advantage, but instead use the environment as an excuse.

It's like problems experienced at WDW. I don't anticipate a problem-free experience, but I judge the company and cast by how those problems are handled. Everyone with small kids has meltdown moments (even those who have left for that afternoon nap rather than drag their overheated, overtired kids around at 4:30 and scream at them -- but that's another thread) but you can tell quite a bit by how those moments are handled.

OK, up on my soapbox here. Most of those children are the same ones you saw last night about 11:00, swimming or whatever, instead of several hours into a good night's sleep. Then Mom and Dad drag them out of bed the next morning and wonder why they self-destruct by noon. When our kids were little (Boy, do I feel old now!), they were always asleep at 7:30, 8:00 at the latest, at WDW (yes, the FW cabins are that quiet) and they never had a screaming melt-down. OK, now I can climb back down off the soapbox.

I hear ya!!! My son is only 14 y.o. now & I never had the cash to take him to WDW when he was younger, BUT we did go to the beach and other places at least once a year.

I was constantly amazed at how other parents (of all ages) would be yelling at their kids ALL DAY while on vacation. Who wants that? The younger kids pretty much dictate what/where/when you're going to go & do whatever. Once you get that drilled into your head (it's not about you, it's about your kids) and let the ME stuff go, you're fine.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to go on a vacation just to scream or yell at/hit their kids. What a bummer for both parties . . . .

:wave2:

I am the mother of a 5 year old boy who has at times attempted to be a screamer. I take him away from where ever he is screaming and tell him in no uncertain terms that he is not acting appropriately and must stop immediately. It is disturbing to me and everyone around us when he acts that way. I would say the lady that gave you a dirty look is out of her #$@##$$% mind and should control her child. After all, she is the PARENT isn't she?

<b>meaneausindisney</b>, Don't feel bad about starting this thread. You have a valid point and a respectable discussion is always welcome here. I'm glad you were able to enjoy your Sci Fi experience after being moved.

ChisJo - You are SO RIGHT in blaming the parents! "Bad" kids are the result of "bad" (or sometimes "no") parenting.

I have noticed that the ones with incessantly screaming children are many of the same ones who will change a filthy diaper in a restaurant or on the monorail seat or park bench right next to another Guest! They think it is "too inconvenient" to use a changing table in a restroom.

About the screaming - - My nearly 82 year old mother got a hearing aid earlier this year. Far too often she has to remove it at the parks, in a show or restaurant, because a blood-curdling screamer will be near us and the parents seem to simply tune it out and pretend it isn't happening.

Many years ago I kept a Disney journal I called <I>"The Magical and the Monstrous."</I> It was a record of the wonderful sayings and actions of "cute and well-behaved" children at Disneyland, as well as the ill-mannered, screaming, food-throwing, spitting, etc. kids. I later gave it to my mom and she has since misplaced it. I am not about to do one on WDW, as it might end up weighted to the negative and I'd rather not dwell too much on that!

On our first trip to WDW, hubby and I were having breakfast on our last day at DXL food court and watched the little ones crying at breakfast. Our only comment (to ourselves of course :)) was it's not their first day!

Or when you hear the parents say it cost alot of money to come here and we are going to (insert whatever here)

Disney is a fantastic vacation that completely wears you out! You can go from morning to night every single day and still find more to do. It is up to the parents to sat let's have a pool day. Let's skip the fireworks tonight and get to bed early. No, you cannot go to the pool at midnight and swim for an hour.

I can dream can't i :sunny:

We just had to laugh at those parenst we saw dragging their kids that were yelling and throwing fits off to the side and telling them "If you don;t stop it we will leave and have no more disney!" We just laughed and said like the kid doesn't know that isn't going to happen. Let's see shell out money, drive or fly, talked about it for months and then because I throw a fit you will just go home? YEA RIGHT! Even a young kid can figure out an empty threat!:o
Now tell them they cannot ride the next ride and they just might buy that one!
Think sometimes those fits are the parents' fault because they take the kids into gift shops and such instead of just avoiding those temptation areas!

It's not just Disney. Today at Barnes and Noble, there was a child SCREAMING as she ran up and down all the aisles in the store. She pulled some books off the shelves and just had herself a wonderful time. Can you imagine what this child will be like at 16?

It's so nice to know I'm not alone on this topic. I love little ones, but definately agree, it's up to the parents to do some parenting when their child is reaking havoc! :)

meaneaus were in disney

I love this thread. This topic always comes up on WDW trips. One incident in particular a few trips back comes to mind. We were eating at the Plaza Rest. in MK. A young couple came in with a toddler sleeping in a stroller. Well, they get seated, order, and the kid wakes up screaming in the restaurant. They keep him strapped in the stroller, wailing like crazy while they eat their meal. The patrons (including us) were getting steamed. I don't know exactly what happened next because we paid the bill and made a quick exit.

jjsmom,
Just to add to that. I have a story that is completely unbelievable. I have worked in restaurants for years (helps to pay my University tuition!). Anyways, one night we had a couple and 2 kids come in. All I can say is thank the Lord I did not serve them. The server, poor guy, had to deal with the family who let their kid stand on the seat of the chair and just scream. They did nothing to shut him up or stop him - he just screamed! And not only once, oh no, the entire time! I am getting frustrated actually thinking about it. It would have been okay if perhaps they would have speeded up their ordering and eating, but no, it's like they were on a first date and just kept letting him do it! It was so unbelievable. People were walking out - so we were losing business because of it. And not just people in that section - people in the whole restaurant (it is quite large and seat over 300 people). People were requesting that their meals be boxed up so that they could eat at home in peace. Oh, did I mention that this was a Friday night, one of the busiest nights?
The poor server - for 3 hours, yes, three hours, they let their kids (the second one joined every now and then) do this. He made no money (because people wanted to move and no one enjoyed their meals, so he made no money in tips), and that family left him NO tip! The manager did nothing (yes, he was a useless manager) because he said "we are a family restaurant, and I cannot tell people how to manage their children!"
It was a frustrating night - mostly because the parents did not care about the comfort of anybody else!
Just had to share that story - it came to mind when JJSmom told hers.
Jo

ChisJo,

Amazing story! I cannot believe the incompetency of that manager! He/she should have certainly known better. No, he can't tell people how to raise their kids, but he has MANY responsibilities here 1) to provide ALL patrons with a pleasurable dining experience so that they'll spend more money and make HIS boss (the owner) happy. 2) to ensure his employees on that shift have the opportunity to earn a fair wage AND 3) protect the restaurant from liability when a safety is an issue (manager should have NEVER, EVER let that kid stand up in his chair. Kid could have injured himself, another diner, or a wait person).

Oh that poor waiter, I believe I would have walked out the door and never looked back!

Now this is a thread I can get into! Thanks for starting it up! I have so many stories...but I will only share a few b/c I don't think you want me to type for hours! :tongue:
Anyway, I worked at a preschool a few years back. I taught 2 and 3 year olds. I liked my job for the most part, but there is always one child that will stress you out. Well, this adorable little 3 year old did it for me. She could be so cute and sweet...as long as she got her way. Well, one day, she didn't get her way. She wanted candy; I said no. She called me a @#$%*! I'll let you figure that one out...let's just say it is also what some people call female dogs. I reported it to both her parents and the preschool director. Parents did nothing...no surprise...where do you think she learned it? This is the part where you will shake your heads in disgust. But the preschool director actually said, "She is only 3, she didn't understand what she said." I know, I was shocked. How can you be a preschool owner and be that ignorant?? :confused:
Anyway, I also worked at a Pet store once. A little girl (also about 3) got mad b/c her mom wouldn't let her hold a bag of fish. So she slapped her mom across the face so hard that it left a red hand print on her cheek. What did the mom do? She told her she would tell the little girl's father when he got home that night. I had trouble not spanking the kid for the mother...I couldn't believe she didn't do it!
Okay, now, for those of you w/children, don't get offended by this, but I don't think it is a good idea to take really little kids to WDW. I know when I was little some of the rides scared me so much that I screamed through the whole thing. I also know it is hot and tiring. My brother was one of those that had to be held until he was 4. I also know that I don't remember a lot about WDW b/c I was so small.
I always feel sorry for the little kids who are being dragged around all day in the heat and don't even get a nap! It also is not fun for those of us who don't have kids. It can ruin a lot.
Basically, I would wait until the child is old enough to be over the tantrums, not need to be held all day long, and remember the experience. Just my opinion!

My DH and I got back from DW in May.

We did experience an incident where a little girl was crying endlessly at one of the shows at MGM while her mother ignored her and finally the CM asked the mother to leave.

However, my reason for posting is because of a positive experience that redeemed some parents in my eyes. We were dining at the Askerhaus buffet. I was away from the table and when I returned my husband casually mentioned one of the kids at the next table had flung a piece of paper and it landed on his lap. He really wasn't bothered but marveled at how this paper found it's way to his lap. We just continued to eat and forgot it.

Before the family left, this little girl accompanied by her mother was at our table with this remorseful look in her eyes, apologzing to my husband for what she had done. At first I couldn't understand her but you could tell she was sorry. We both told the mother we were impressed with how she was raising her. I was glad to see how this parent is concerned about her child's behavior in public and wish there were more like her.

It is unfortunate that some parents don't do a good job...

My personal opinion is that you shouldn't have children until you are ready to give up any and everything. If your child is screaming, you take them out of a situation... even if it is at a party or shopping, anything. That is your job as a parent. You are no longer doing what you want and letting your children run wild. Take them out of a situation even if it means depriving yourself something. That is how my parents have always done things (when I was little obviously).

That said, my DH and I do not have any children. We are only 23 and 26, and want some "us" time where we can be in control of ourselves.

When we decide we are done being "selfish", we will have children.

Originally posted by Davids-Coco
That said, my DH and I do not have any children. We are only 23 and 26, and want some "us" time where we can be in control of ourselves.

When we decide we are done being "selfish", we will have children.

I am with you on that! My DH is 25 and I am 23. After seeing what other young couples have gone through having kids so young and so soon, we decided to wait!

(in the restaurant)

What would it be like, if each person who passed by, many deliberately going out of their way to do so, reached over and gently tousled the screaming child? Also by the way, the manager should have tipped the waiter using some money from the till and voided out a few checks to make things balance.

(in the pet shop)

If the mother had spanked the child in return, someone else would be writing this forum and flaming.

Disney hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/disney.htm

(As told by Max L. of Calgary, CA via Hometheaterforum . com)
Mahatma Gandhi, walked barefoot most of the time, which produced an impressive set of calluses on his feet. He also ate very little, which made him rather frail and with his odd diet, he suffered from bad breath. This made him...a super-callused fragile mystic hexed by halitosis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter