Secret Builders - Launch Today

disvaclub92

Always dreaming about Disney
Here is a new game, looks cute:

http://www.secretbuilders.com/

Secret Builders is announcing today the launch of an educational world targeted at kids aged 5 to 14. Secret Builders features a lot of the staples of kids worlds, exploration, quests, games, virtual homes and pets to maintain, and social interaction. What it describes as its main differentiator is an emphasis on education.

Games and quests feature educational content and NPCs of famous historical figures are scattered throughout the world, where, according to the site, children might meet Shakespeare while he hosts his own birthday party or Einstein to talk about his theories. The site also emphasizes more traditional creative input, like writing essays, contributing artwork, or posting videos (all checked by human moderators) for various contests.

According to VentureBeat, the world was founded by Umair Khan January 2007 and is developed by a team of seven in the U.S. with 14 programmers in Bulgaria. After its test period and word of mouth spread, Secret Builders has 5,000 members from 27 countries.

Currently the entire world is free to play, but will eventually incorporate premium subscriptions and virtual goods for sale. Khan is open to advertising, but sensitive to bringing in brands, and is currently working with Art in Action, The Monterey Bay Aquarium, WildPlanet Toy Company and StoneSoup Magazine.

Secret Builders has raised $2.4 million in two rounds of angel funding, including Scott Hassan, a founding team member at Google, Carlos Cashman, founder and CEO of CourseAdvisors, and Ken Morse, a professor at the MIT Sloan School and co-founder of 3Com and Aspen technologies. Khan isn't currently looking for any more funding.

Maybe it's just me but these things are starting to all look the same. But wow, they've got some heavy hitters backing this one! I'll add to the list of things to try when the kids get bored with all the other games they're playing now :)

I really like this game so far, I explored a bit. I saw a few very cool features other games don't have (like the coloring feature on homes), and while most games have dance/wave as actions, SB has Moonwalk (among other things), enjoy :)
cxld.png

(yes you really do get that outfit when you perform the action)

I have to say it is a really cute game. I see some awesome potential here. Have not witnessed lag and the avatar's are cute.

I have to say it is a really cute game. I see some awesome potential here. Have not witnessed lag and the avatar's are cute.

Thanks for posting this! This game is seriously cute! There are 3 lands/towns (haunted valley, treasure island, enchanted woods). So far, I've just been exploring haunted valley. There are games in each of the 3 lands, but also more games in each of the lands themselves where you can earn shills (coins). So far I've played puzzles, a game like snake, I've caught ghosts (reminded me of vmk fireworks), a slide puzzle, a sling shot to keep a can in the air, Connect Four, a Breakout game... it really looks like it has possibilities. I haven't checked yet, but there are multiplayer games as well and you can click on someone and challenge them to a game. There's a buddy list, a chat log, safe chat if you choose, a home to decorate, shops...magic you can cast on others... The only thing I don't love so far (although I have seen worse) are the avatar choices -- there are no green eyes and no way to change eye or hair color (you choose from a select group of heads/hair colors)...and no top hat lol. But it's still cute!

Really, seriously cute... lol :thumbsup2

Ok I think I am hooked on this. I did spend a good time trying to change my eye color too, only downside tho. hehe

They have quests and I love the fact that I can actually play games against other people. This game is really cute, hopefully we see more people from the Dis playing. :goodvibes

Dis, have you explored your house? You can paint it any color you want, and there's a loft area with a light switch. :) You can't sit though.

Yes, I was just saying that. What is with games not wanting us to sit. lol

I am stuck on the Tum Tum Quest, and the hint is not helping lol. Nice payouts on the quest, if I can only finish it.

Yes, I was just saying that. What is with games not wanting us to sit. lol

I am stuck on the Tum Tum Quest, and the hint is not helping lol. Nice payouts on the quest, if I can only finish it.

I just did the very first quest...looking at the Tum Tum Quest now.

ROFL...we can dance, do the moonwalk and skate on a skateboard.

I found out what you meant by 'blue tart.' lol

Doh! If I would have realized before that the quest map shows you where you have to go LOL.

Um, I'm stuck on customize your avatar. It shows the avatar walking in place but doesn't give me options. When I click on the little arrows, where the face/top/etc... are, nothing happens.:confused3

Um, I'm stuck on customize your avatar. It shows the avatar walking in place but doesn't give me options. When I click on the little arrows, where the face/top/etc... are, nothing happens.:confused3

I would try refreshing if I were you -- at the top of that window you should see "tops, bottoms, accessories, head/face.." If you're not seeing that, something must be wrong. :(

Be careful when shopping. It is very easy to buy an item simply by clicking on it too hard. I already have stuff that I didn't realize I was buying until it was too late.

Be careful when shopping. It is very easy to buy an item simply by clicking on it too hard. I already have stuff that I didn't realize I was buying until it was too late.
I just found this board when I was looking for quest hints! I was stuck on Tum Tum too..

yeah its easy to buy something there but If i end up with something i dont want i use one of the COOLEST features they have which lets you trade stuff you dont want with other ppl

i traded someone for raffle ticket (they are giving away a wii) who wanted a TV i had hehe

Welcome Thunder!!! :) Ok so it is not me, sometimes I tend to be quest challenged (lack of patience).

Bummer Princess, what did you buy extra's of that you don't want. Maybe we can work out a deal. I really have not shopped much as of yet.

I sent an e-mail to them about this and received a response within a few minutes. Basically, they answered that you can trade. :thumbsup2

I'm in. I'm feydolphy! Amberdaze, you already have the 3rd most shills? You work fast!!

Ugh.I bought me a green dragon and it is taking forever to hatch.i bought it like 2 hours ago. When will it hatch?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter