Self-Employed Or Non-Traditionally-Employed People, Speak Up!

I'm working on it but at this point I'm still sort of riding the fence between "freelance writer" and "stay at home mom". I just finished my degree in December and have started putting more time into selling my work and building a portfolio but I'm not where I'd like to be yet in terms of earning a steady and significant income. Managing my time (and getting my family to respect that management, when they're used to 100% availability from me) is a challenge I'm just learning to navigate.

Fortunately, my husband is employed and carries our benefits so I don't have that particular headache of self-employment to deal with. It was quite literally the worst part of DH being self-employed for years and I don't know that I'd be going the freelance route instead of job hunting if it meant going back to that.

Also a retired Fed, thank goodness. Had to retire early 12 years ago for health reasons, so the annuity is much less than I was planning on. But it is a monthly income and health insurance. DH's company closed 6 years ago, so we are both now "self employed".

It was his Contractor's license, and he has kept fairly busy since just working for past clients and word of mouth. He likes it better, really, than when he was a co-owner of the family business. Less stress. I have always had an interest in vintage collectibles, so segued into being a part time vintage internet dealer.

We are able to travel whenever we want, for sure, but no income is made when we travel! Only expenditures, ha. And someone mentioned applying for a mortgage, went through that this year trying to buy a second house in the city we want to move to in a couple of years. Had a 30% down payment but still very difficult to qualify, since they would not consider SE income and my annuity was not enough. Eventually went to a mortgage company that had investment type loans and included the income we would make renting the house (until we move). More expensive, but we did get the loan.

I have a friend who runs a non-profit. He's always sending me drafts of letters he wants to send to donors and potential donors. It's a matter of competing strengths; he can sell pants to a snake, and give him a dollar and in ten days he'll have turned it into fifty. But he can't write a coherent sentence to save his life.

I really should start charging him.

My Wife is a world renowned dairy goat expert. When she had her farm in TN she started a blog to teach others from her experience. It's called Fiasco Farm and is about 300 pages of information about animals and cheese. She hated veterinarians so she studied and developed herbal treatments for things like worms, arthritis, asthma and such. She actually cured her own asthma with the tea she invented.

So people started asking her where they could buy this stuff. Since her paying job was developing websites for small businesses, she decided to start her own and named it Molly's Herbals. Flash forward to 2008 when our relationship started, she moved up here to Michigan and I began working for her. She handles all the finances and paperwork and I prepare orders to ship. I don't get a paycheck. As far as the government is concerned I am retired. The business keeps growing but we want to keep it something that just the two of us can handle and keep in our home, and have time for fun and travel. We don't even advertise. All word of mouth and repeat customers.

That is so cool!!! Your wife sounds like a rock star. Good for you guys.

I have a FT job with benefits but freelance on the side. I have to be very careful that the freelance assignments I pick up don't conflict with the interests of my FT company. Eventually, I really hope to abandon the 9-5 completely, but at this point, it's just not a possibility.

I'm one of a handful of Community Board participants who doesn't work a traditional Nine-to-Five. I am self-employed, meaning that my boss is a demanding jerk who expects nothing short of perfection, and my one employee is a pot-smoking layabout who tries to half-[butt] as much as he can get away with. My boss and my employee are one in the same: me.

I'm a professional writer. Mostly I write celebrity trash stories about whatever the Duggars or Roloffs or other C-list reality TV people are up to. The publication I write for the most seems to favor that kind of story, so that's what I write. I'd love to write Pulitzer-caliber stories about important issues that matter, but my readers want celebrity trash instead, so that's what I give them. I'll cry all the way to the bank.

Some weeks I'm rich, most weeks I'm broke, it all depends on how many readers I get.

Being self-employed has been one of the best things that's ever happened to me! I love being able to work in my pajamas and set my own hours. Further, I don't have the temperament for working with others, so being 100 percent on my own has been a huge boon for me.

On the downside, my entire world consists of my workspace in my spare bedroom. I don't get to leave the house for eight hours each day and interact with other adults. That's a huge chunk of the American way of life that I'm missing out on. Also, there's no such thing as vacation or sick days; I either work or I don't make money, end of story.

What do you other self-employed people around here do to make ends meet?
This is so interesting! Where do you get your sources for the stories?
Because I don't think you follow these people (or maybe you do?).

ETA: Would you please send the email to me too?

I spent about twenty years ago working for others. Then, in 2008, I ventured out my own and was very successful. So much so that I basically retired a year and a half ago. I keep a home office, but don't have much to do there. Now, I mainly live off investments. My partner still works, which is good. We would probably drive each other nuts if we spent 24/7 together. There are days when it gets a little too quiet and dull, but I usually find things to keep me busy. I will accept the boredom if it means I no longer have to answer to clients and other nitwits

This is so interesting! Where do you get your sources for the stories?

I just summarize what other people have written - so, TMZ, InTouch Weekly, that sort of thing. It's not very sexy, but it pays the bills (sometimes).

I've been a freelance writer for about 35 years now and raised four children (single parent) doing it. I have had 18 books published (all non-fiction) and I'm working on number 19 right now. I have mostly written for magazines but in recent years that's become a tough place to make a living - many magazines have folded, or gone online, and the online ones pay a lot less than the print ones used to. So for the past ten years I also had a part-time contract writing for a local university's website and alumni publications. Next month, though, I start a full-time writing job with a non-profit organization. It's going to be a huge change for me!

The secret to success for me has been hustle, hustle, hustle. Always coming up with new article (and book) ideas, always looking for new markets, always talking to people about opportunities.

It's also what made it possible for me to make many Disney visits, as I did some travel writing and was able to sell stories about Disney. That led to things like a tour of the Cinderella suite in the MK castle (and of the Mickey suite in the Disneyland Hotel), a private tour of the Kilimanjaro Safari ride and the animal backstage area with the man who designed it, a private backstage tour of the Living Seas in Epcot, etc. The man who runs the animal nutrition centre backstage - he manages the feeding of all animals in WDW - actually graduated from the University where I was working, so I got to meet him for a very interesting interview and write an article about his work for the alumni publication.

I just summarize what other people have written - so, TMZ, InTouch Weekly, that sort of thing. It's not very sexy, but it pays the bills (sometimes).

Well, I think that paying the bills (even if it is sometimes), is VERY sexy :)

Thanks, Rastahomie!

Self employed. DH and I own a large horse boarding and lesson farm. I'm a professional riding instructor and horse trainer. I have no days off. The job is 24/7....and we love it.

I've been a freelance writer for about 35 years now and raised four children (single parent) doing it. I have had 18 books published (all non-fiction) and I'm working on number 19 right now. I have mostly written for magazines but in recent years that's become a tough place to make a living - many magazines have folded, or gone online, and the online ones pay a lot less than the print ones used to. So for the past ten years I also had a part-time contract writing for a local university's website and alumni publications. Next month, though, I start a full-time writing job with a non-profit organization. It's going to be a huge change for me!

The secret to success for me has been hustle, hustle, hustle. Always coming up with new article (and book) ideas, always looking for new markets, always talking to people about opportunities.

It's also what made it possible for me to make many Disney visits, as I did some travel writing and was able to sell stories about Disney. That led to things like a tour of the Cinderella suite in the MK castle (and of the Mickey suite in the Disneyland Hotel), a private tour of the Kilimanjaro Safari ride and the animal backstage area with the man who designed it, a private backstage tour of the Living Seas in Epcot, etc. The man who runs the animal nutrition centre backstage - he manages the feeding of all animals in WDW - actually graduated from the University where I was working, so I got to meet him for a very interesting interview and write an article about his work for the alumni publication.

Teresa, I'm sure you have this covered. but nothing ventured, nothing gained: Do you need an editor?

Queen Colleen

I have a friend who runs a non-profit. He's always sending me drafts of letters he wants to send to donors and potential donors. It's a matter of competing strengths; he can sell pants to a snake, and give him a dollar and in ten days he'll have turned it into fifty. But he can't write a coherent sentence to save his life.

I really should start charging him.

You absolutely should start charging him! If it's more than one letter a month, have him hire you on a retainer. I don't know the scope of the work but just as a working figure, say $100 a month for 0-4 letters, with each additional letter maybe $25 per page. You won't get rich from it (or maybe you will!) but a sure $100 a month would fill my car with gas three times!

Queen Colleen

Teresa, I'm sure you have this covered. but nothing ventured, nothing gained: Do you need an editor?

Queen Colleen

I always work with editors - either the publisher has an editor they assign my book to, or the magazine has an editor, and at my new job I am working for an editor. So unfortunately I don't need to hire one. If I ever do, I will keep you in mind!

Self employed. DH and I own a large horse boarding and lesson farm. I'm a professional riding instructor and horse trainer. I have no days off. The job is 24/7....and we love it.

You are living my dream! I grew up on a farm with horses, had a sweet Arabian mare when I was younger, and now I have a Quarter Horse (who is boarded). I write for a couple of horse magazines, too.

I always work with editors - either the publisher has an editor they assign my book to, or the magazine has an editor, and at my new job I am working for an editor. So unfortunately I don't need to hire one. If I ever do, I will keep you in mind!

Thank you!

Queen Colleen

My dad and I are partners in our oyster shop. We shuck oysters, mostly for wholesale to restaurants and retailers. We have our own beds we lease from the state along with purchasing wild reef oysters from other boat owners. My family has been working in seafood for six generations. We started investing into rental properties(houses) around 2009 and doubled our efforts after the BP oil spill. Thought we better start diversifying and it's a good thing we did.

@rastahomie

I write finance articles on the side but I'm addicted to celebrity gossip and watch TMZ religiously.

If you don't mind, could you share that email address with me too?

I have a traditional job but dh is an owner operator truck driver. He is leased on to a company but doesn't have the same benefits as the company drivers. Some weeks he makes great money, some weeks not so much. But it all equals out over the year. He is on the road 5-6 days a week.

I grew up with grandparents and parents who were all self employed. My dad retired from the USAF and came home to join the family businesses. They were all constantly opening a new business. The hours were long and the stress was high whether they had one business going or 4.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter