Shared Toiletries in the Age of Covid

Excuse me while I go toss out my paprika 🤢

They need to stop providing liquids at all. You get a bar of soap. If you want something more, then there should be a for sale kit on the room service menu and refills available at the main store. You could pick and choose what you want in your kit, like 2 items for one price, 3 for another, buy 5 and get one free. You could even then choose the products - H2O or Elemis, for example. Concierge should get theirs free, but still have to "order" it from their host.

People would be angry that they have to pay for what used to be free, but they wouldn't be stealing and they'd likely take home what they wanted, not what they're trying to sell on eBay or give as gifts to whomever at home.

If you don't want to buy... bring your own.
But why should they stop providing liquids just because some people are grossed out by it? Those people can easily choose not to use them if they don't want to. There are plenty of people out there who appreciate the products and are just fine using them.

It's amazing what you can learn on the DIS boards!!! :rotfl2:

Edited to add: Now that I think about it, I remember reading once about there being a specification on the allowable amount of insect parts in jars of peanut butter...

Oh it goes on and on. Here's the full list from the FDA for anyone curious. After seeing the levels of "mammalian excreta" (aka, rodent poop) in cocoa beans, you may never want to eat chocolate again. https://www.fda.gov/food/ingredient...atory-information/food-defect-levels-handbook

I wonder if the whole idea of reusable will be eliminated because of the virus. Reusable bags are banned from our stores and the dreaded thin one-time-use plastic bags are back. Bulk bins in the grocery stores are empty and cordoned off. Buffet and self serve are gone. The whole idea of someone else touching and reusing an object is taboo.
Bring back the individual toiletry tubes.
I've wondered this as well. I also think about people bringing reusable mugs to coffee shops.

The shared toiletries absolutely skeeve me out, both pre and post coronavirus. I'll bring my own, but it really irritates me that a low budget place like Days Inn will provide me with individual shampoo and conditioner but DCL at a much higher price per night, doesn't.

Well, I think part of the issue is cost, but also as others have pointed out there's the use of a large amount of plastics. But I think it likely wouldn't have happened if people didn't completely abuse the system and stateroom hosts didn't go along with it. I think for a 3 night cruise, probably one set is sufficient, maybe for a 5-7 night, a couple of sets, but people would literally post gloating pictures on social media of coming home from cruises with a suitcase full of shampoos and conditioners. And this is why we can't have nice things.

I wonder if the whole idea of reusable will be eliminated because of the virus. Reusable bags are banned from our stores and the dreaded thin one-time-use plastic bags are back. Bulk bins in the grocery stores are empty and cordoned off. Buffet and self serve are gone. The whole idea of someone else touching and reusing an object is taboo.
Bring back the individual toiletry tubes.

I have reusable bags and I took them with me yesterday. They are just asking that if you use them, you bag your own groceries. Honestly, I prefer that anyway. I can't count the number of times I've come home to find my bananas underneath the giant can of dice tomatoes, or the bread jammed up against the carton of milk!

I have reusable bags and I took them with me yesterday. They are just asking that if you use them, you bag your own groceries. Honestly, I prefer that anyway. I can't count the number of times I've come home to find my bananas underneath the giant can of dice tomatoes, or the bread jammed up against the carton of milk!
Yes, if you pack your own groceries, reusable bags are acceptable here also. But, being behind (6 ft) a person with their reusables, standing at the checkout, waiting for the total so they can start to write out the CHECK, carefully tear it out, record the check, hand it to the cashier, start looking for their driver's license in the overstuffed wallet, pulling it out, then replacing it, get the receipt, and finally start meticulously bagging all their groceries, the line does not move until they are gone. Been there twice. Drives me nuts.

I've wondered this as well. I also think about people bringing reusable mugs to coffee shops.

There's a place near me that wont accept your own cup unless its clean and dry. (Well right now its closed, but that's always been its policy)
It's a little annoying if your on the way back from somewhere and you've already used your cup and not had time to clean it, but I get it.

The toiletries issue doesn't bother.
But baristas touching used cups ans not sanitizing properly in between and used cups cross contaminating things does.

That was one of the first things to go in my city.... long before we were all sent home from work I was told to stop bringing mine in. I dislike tossing them away every day - I'm glad I can just make it at home now.

I kind of like the idea of ordering a kit of product onboard if you need it - its a reasonable solution to the cleanliness aspect. I just fear what the price would be... its too bad the tamper seals weren't taken seriously by the hosts. or at least ours wasn't.. they were all broken but we were assured it was fine... :confused3

That was one of the first things to go in my city.... long before we were all sent home from work I was told to stop bringing mine in. I dislike tossing them away every day - I'm glad I can just make it at home now.

I kind of like the idea of ordering a kit of product onboard if you need it - its a reasonable solution to the cleanliness aspect. I just fear what the price would be... its too bad the tamper seals weren't taken seriously by the hosts. or at least ours wasn't.. they were all broken but we were assured it was fine... :confused3

Cups are recyclable here. A good alternative when you can't use your re-usable mug that keeps cup out of the landfill.

There's really two ways you can deal with this, either bring your own cleaning products on board when you board and use them, Or just realize that these ARE soap and shampoo, stuff to CLEAN yourself with, after all use use the soap to wash your hands, to prevent the Covid infection right?? What's the difference if it comes out of a dispenser or a tiny individual bottle? I for one have always brought my own supplies and don't use the DCL provided products.

Bummer. I had some bruised bananas to but just made banana bread out of them, so that’s an option.

I like the idea of being able to buy shampoo/conditioner/body wash sets. I could get one for the cruise and one to take home :D

I dont know why but I am not a big fan of banana bread. When we still had dogs, bruised bananas would get used to make Frosty Paws type ice cream for them. I make this other thing I call Monkey Buns with cresent rolls, sugar, butter, pecans and rum. I bet bruised bananas would work for them. Thanks for getting me thinking about alternate uses.

I dont know why but I am not a big fan of banana bread. When we still had dogs, bruised bananas would get used to make Frosty Paws type ice cream for them. I make this other thing I call Monkey Buns with cresent rolls, sugar, butter, pecans and rum. I bet bruised bananas would work for them. Thanks for getting me thinking about alternate uses.
Mmmm, those sound awesome!

Had this thought last night about this thread.. I find it ironic that people are freaked out about communal toileteries, which BTW get cleaned and in a shower/wet environment are constantly cleaned, but yet have no issue sharing a people soup pool or hottub on the lido deck.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter