Shiny pressed pennies?

Pixie glitter

Earning My Ears
You can tell my trip is getting close--I'm now planning the tiniest of minutia!!

Does anyone know how to keep your pressed pennies shiny and new looking? I've been thinking about how futile it seems to make sure we press only the shiniest of new pennies when they just turn dark in a few weeks anyway.

Soak the pennies in ketsup, I know it sounds weird, but it works. Cover your pennies and leave in for about 30 minutes. It's cheap and very effective. After you have pressed pennies, you can do this to them, but to keep them from being tarnished, you can coat them with a thin coating of clear fingernail polish. Mickey

I don't use new pennies since they have zinc insides that can sometimes show through. Use older ones and clean them. I'm not a penny expert so I can't tell you the exact date that they were changed. I'm sure someone can though.

As a note, the ketchup contains mild acid(from the vinegar and tomatos). That is what cleans the oxidation off the penny. You can use straight vinegar also, but it is stronger so you don't want to leave them too long.

Use pennies pre-1982. They are solid / no alloy middle. Vinegar does the trick. Great suggestion!

Coca cola works too!!

I have also heard to shine them with jewlery cleaner and they stay shinny, I know my DD even though they look nice and shiny when we make them get dull and old looking in a relatively short time.

My Grandmother always cleaned her copper pots with a lemon and salt. I still have her old pots and they are spotless.

Now I clean my pennies the same way...it works wonders...

:)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter