Should I still make trip a SURPRISE for the kids?

Mom+4

<font color=teal>Saved from the loony bin by the T
I know this is a trivial problem, but I need some advice. We are heading to WDW in December, and are NOT cancelling. I had planned to surprise our 3 and 5 year olds with the trip, and surprise the 12 year old with the fact that we are flying. However, in light of last week's events, I wonder if I should tell the kids about the trip, and especially about flying. I think the 12 year old, in particular, might be very nervous. But, I really want to surprise them too. This trip is a BIG part of their Christmas present. Then again, I don't want to have three freaked out kids on an airplane. What would you do?

How much has your 12 year old seen of the past week's events? If you think that child might be freaked out I'd tell him/her. Just so you can talk over any fears ahead of time. The 3 and 5 year olds will probably not associate their plane trip with the tragedy. But if the 12 year old is freaked they will pick up on that.
Just my opinion.:)

My suggestion is to give it some time and see how they are continuing to react to the horror of last week. And also to see what else transpires. December is still 2 1/2 months away and that is a long time in a child's perspective. Maybe tell the 12 year old about the flying a few days (or a week) in advance, but the surprise of the trip doesn't have to be spoiled. They will take their cues from you - if you are excited and not nervous (or hide it, even if you are) about flying, then they will be too.
Enjoy your trip!

I agree that you should wait. Right now many people are afraid of going on planes after what happened because they're afraid it might happen again. Maybe after a month or so, they might start feeling more comfortable with it after not seeing all this on the news for awhile.

So wait a little while, and if your 12 year old is still freaked out about it, I would tell him/her. Otherwise, wait to surprise them, that would be a wonderful surprise!

Since your 12-y-o knows you are going on the trip, I'd go ahead and discuss the flying with him/her. You can probably compare your 12-y-o's feelings about a "surprise" flight to how you would feel about such a surprise at this time. You'd both want time to digest the news and express any concerns.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter