Should I take grandkids or not???

tinkerjo

DIS Veteran
So we have a family trip coming up next spring but oldest DS is unable to go d/t work . I have been thinking of taking the 2 oldest grandkids age 5 (well he will turn 6 right before we leave) and 4. ( so we would most likely need a stroller for him as he is pretty small for his age) We are tent camping at Fort Wilderness and I will have my 21 year old son and 12 year old son with us. Now, we are seasoned tent campers but the grandkids have never been. We are going for 9 days so it’s a long time to be away from mom and dad but they are used to being with us several days in a row- up to a week. DGS5 is quite a challenge and does not always listen well but does better the busier we are. both boys will be 40 inches tall and should be able to ride most rides. I want to take them, but a Disney vacation is very expensive to be miserable if it doesn’t work out. We go every couple of years so we could wait but they will be perfect ages for it to be magical. Any suggestions or advice??

A Disney trip with 5 and 6 year old is alot of work and 9 days is a long time. I wouldn't take on that responsibility. Can one of the parents be there for part of the time? Maybe they could transport the boys to you 1/2 way through the trip? Or come down for the weekend to give you a break?

I don’t get along with DIL very well and she would cause me more work than help. ( plus she would add another baby-almost2 that i would end up having to watch) I’m trying to talk them Into just coming for a long and joining us over a long weekend but it’s a 14 hour drive and I don’t think they want to do it. I want to take them, just so much work.....

So we have a family trip coming up next spring but oldest DS is unable to go d/t work . I have been thinking of taking the 2 oldest grandkids age 5 (well he will turn 6 right before we leave) and 4. ( so we would most likely need a stroller for him as he is pretty small for his age) We are tent camping at Fort Wilderness and I will have my 21 year old son and 12 year old son with us. Now, we are seasoned tent campers but the grandkids have never been. We are going for 9 days so it’s a long time to be away from mom and dad but they are used to being with us several days in a row- up to a week. DGS5 is quite a challenge and does not always listen well but does better the busier we are. both boys will be 40 inches tall and should be able to ride most rides. I want to take them, but a Disney vacation is very expensive to be miserable if it doesn’t work out. We go every couple of years so we could wait but they will be perfect ages for it to be magical. Any suggestions or advice??
Outdoor adventures were our family vacations when my kiddos and DGD were growing up and since you've done that in the past you should be fine on that level. As for the amount of children going I'd think you'll be fine since 2 of them are of an age where you don't have to watch over them day and night and they can also help to a certain extent.
There is no joy traveling with anyone who doesn't "pull their weight" so leaving the DIL home sounds like it could be a good idea.

As for suggestions/advice? I spent 5 years summer tent camping for 2 -4 weeks with 3 children of different ages and parts of the family (when they started they were DGD, 7 y/o, grandnephew, 5; niece, 11) for 3 years. Sometimes another adult was there for the entire time, sometimes I spent a week or so being alone with them. Everyone had a chore: set the table, gather pinecones and newspaper twists for kindling, wash the dishes and throw away the trash. Kept the kids busy while I made the food or put food away. Sometime during the day, we spent 1/2 hour making the tent orderly; hate walking into a mess. Gave the kids a routine that they learned to stick with and a little peace to think in my life. As for food at least one part of every meal was almost always cooked at home, frozen, and packed in the cooler; made my life easier, cost less money than constantly eating out and I had control of the ingredients which is important to me.

Not sure if you are saying you have to drive 14 hours to get to your grandchildren's home or if that's the drive from your home. Perhaps it would be easiest if the grands took a plane all the way down or if you are driving out of your way to get them at least to a mutually advantageous point for all. I used to pick up my niece and grandnephew along the way in that manner; worked well.

HTH

Last edited:
My opinion differs greatly. My favorite people to take on our trips are my grandchildren. The best trips are the ones where parents aren’t present! I’ve found they’re much better behaved away from parents!
And my DDG are twins. And have been taking them since they were two years old!

How does your DIL feel about you taking time without her or her husband? I personally wouldn’t want to miss my kids’ first trip to Disney. And I don’t blame them for not wanting to drive 14 hours for a long weekend with young kids. That would not be worth it to me.

If their parents are fine with it, I would only take them if my expectations were low. I feel like nine days is a blessing and a curse, honestly. It’s a long time for them to be away from their parents, but with so much time you can keep park days short if necessary.

The kids have actually been to Disney before but they were 1 1/2 and 6 months so they have no memories of it, only pictures. Mom and dad were there for that trip. Also we will only have 5 day park tickets and the other days would be enjoying fort wilderness. (Using military salute tickets provided they have them next year). This is a really tough decision. Maybe I will just take some time and think about it, so how the school year goes and how much they mature.
If we lived closer I would just take them on their own mini trip as that would be ideal. ( and give me an extra trip) but I don’t think I can talk DH into that

Travelled first time to Disney with granddaughter when she was six. We spent two days without any assistance and then my other daughter (Aunt) arrived and helped. Our trip was 7 nights at AKL. Honestly, it was a lot of work, but created great memories.

My youngest granddaughter is turning four and her sister will be 14 and wouldn't even consider bringing the youngest one with us at this time. (Not without her parents.)

The kids have actually been to Disney before but they were 1 1/2 and 6 months so they have no memories of it, only pictures. Mom and dad were there for that trip. Also we will only have 5 day park tickets and the other days would be enjoying fort wilderness. (Using military salute tickets provided they have them next year). This is a really tough decision. Maybe I will just take some time and think about it, so how the school year goes and how much they mature.
If we lived closer I would just take them on their own mini trip as that would be ideal. ( and give me an extra trip) but I don’t think I can talk DH into that
I think you’re right to think on it for right now. How helpful would your 21 year old be with the boys? If he is able to really help with them and help keep them busy that would be great. I think five park days combined with time at Ft. Wilderness is a good plan, but that is a long time to tent camp with two little boys. Good luck whatever you decide!

Have you asked your oldest son and DIL if they are even okay with you taking both children for the 9 days? I agree with other posters, that is a LONG time away from their mom and dad. I would imagine they would really begin to get homesick. I am sure your DS12 & DS21 would be very helpful, but if you are already having worries about how much work it would be, I think I'd opt to not invite them. Maybe you and DH could go with DS and DIL later in the year on a second shorter trip( that will also allow the 2 year old to join in on the fun!) You could have all of your grandchildren there for amazing memories:) No matter what you all decide, have a great trip!

I'd would wait until the next trip a couple years from now since one of the little guys might not do well. That is a long time to be away from their parents at that age.
Go enjoy your two other sons for this trip! They will be off on their own before you know it!

Have you asked your oldest son and DIL if they are even okay with you taking both children for the 9 days? I agree with other posters, that is a LONG time away from their mom and dad. I would imagine they would really begin to get homesick. I am sure your DS12 & DS21 would be very helpful, but if you are already having worries about how much work it would be, I think I'd opt to not invite them. Maybe you and DH could go with DS and DIL later in the year on a second shorter trip( that will also allow the 2 year old to join in on the fun!) You could have all of your grandchildren there for amazing memories:) No matter what you all decide, have a great trip!
Another change in life for these United States probably due to people moving across the country while their birth families remain in other regions. When I was growing up spending a summer or a few weeks with my grandparents was quite the norm. I recognized them for who they were. Same for my mother who either had my kids join her on vacations or stayed with us when we rented a house. When I married and moved out of the states for several years the song remained the same via regular plane trips.
Now my DGD lives with us full-time and it was an easy transition possibly as her parents, her other grandmother and I live in the same city .

I never thought or to be accurate had to think about how these moves could effect relationships between the different generations. Guess I was lucky and didn't even know it. Thanks for the insight into how others live.

If you have to ask you probably already know the answer, lol. Not trying to be snarky, but at those ages and for that length of time, I would probably not do it. I do not have grandkids, though.

It does kind of sound like you already know the answer. Nine days of tent camping for kids who are not accustomed to it sounds more daunting than you would like. Can you perhaps take them on a mini camping trip in the next few weeks to see how they do? Then at least your decision would be a little more informed.

Another change in life for these United States probably due to people moving across the country while their birth families remain in other regions. When I was growing up spending a summer or a few weeks with my grandparents was quite the norm. I recognized them for who they were. Same for my mother who either had my kids join her on vacations or stayed with us when we rented a house. When I married and moved out of the states for several years the song remained the same via regular plane trips.
Now my DGD lives with us full-time and it was an easy transition possibly as her parents, her other grandmother and I live in the same city .

I never thought or to be accurate had to think about how these moves could effect relationships between the different generations. Guess I was lucky and didn't even know it. Thanks for the insight into how others live.
Absolutely love that you all have that type of relationship with your DGD! I wish our two children had that :) Since our oldest was 4 weeks old we have lived FAR away, as in at least a few hours by flight. We only visit them once a year. My family live away ( one parent far in the states, one in UK.) My children have very SADLY not gotten to know any of their grandparents well enough that they would even feel comfortable enough going to visit them alone :( Although while I was younger I did go to visit grandparents and after a few days would be homesick, so I have never ' made' my DS go when he doesn't want to alone. Relationships with grandparents are so very special and important ❤️. Hopefully my DH and I can change the cycle and spend more time with our grandchildren once we get to that point!

Absolutely love that you all have that type of relationship with your DGD! I wish our two children had that :) Since our oldest was 4 weeks old we have lived FAR away, as in at least a few hours by flight. We only visit them once a year. My family live away ( one parent far in the states, one in UK.) My children have very SADLY not gotten to know any of their grandparents well enough that they would even feel comfortable enough going to visit them alone :( Although while I was younger I did go to visit grandparents and after a few days would be homesick, so I have never ' made' my DS go when he doesn't want to alone. Relationships with grandparents are so very special and important ❤. Hopefully my DH and I can change the cycle and spend more time with our grandchildren once we get to that point!
Maybe. But, I live 15 min from one grandparent & down the street from another & that would still be a long time for DS to be away from us at that age. I think like so many things it depends on the kid & family.

I would wait until they are older, or when mom and dad can definitely come along.
9 days without mom and dad is one thing, 9 days tent camping is quite another.
I'm not sure how you expect the care giving to be, but if you are relying on your other 2 to help then I don't think that is fair to them.

I've never been tent camping (i like appreciating nature from my patio with a drink in my hand....) but tent camping with 2 young ish kids who have never been tent camping for 9 days sounds long. It would be one thing if it was a couple nights.

I used to spend a week with my grandparents when I was younger, usually by Wed or Thursday I was ready to go home and would start the mental countdown in my head...

My daughter will be 4 next year, I don't think she'd want to spend that long with any of her grandparents. Usually by the 3rd night, she's done and ready to go home.

You've received a lot of great feedback. And truly only you can decide what would be the best decision for your family. We took DS4 camping for the first time at the Fort in May and it was so much better than I thought it would be.

It's sounds like this trip could be a lot of work for you...but also a lot of fun, quality family time. It's okay to not take the little ones this year, you could enjoy a shorter, closer to home camping trip with them instead.

We love and so appreciate the military tickets! The PLUS option is only $50 more per ticket and includes 5 Waterpark visits or Mini Golf rounds. And they DON'T expire 10 days after first use, like regular tickets. We have stretched our 5 day tickets into 10 days of WDW fun, plus extra Resort/Fort Days. It feels like we have annual passes at a fraction of the cost. We are really hoping Disney continues to offer the military tickets next year!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter