Should we stick with Beach Club Villas despite the pool refurb?

AussieAngel

DIS Veteran
HI all,

We recently booked a long awaited two week stay at Beach Club Villas for Jan 2025. (We're from Australia and have been planning this trip since 2019!)

Super exciting, but I keep worrying about the Stormalong Bay pool refurb.

Do you think it's worth changing resorts to the Boardwalk, or splitting our stay to another resort for a week? Or will we not use the pool much anyway, because it's January?!

The BC is traditionally our favourite because of the location, the beach vibes (and smell!) and pool. I love that you can walk to Epcot and other nearby resorts so easily. We have two boys (11 and 9) so the pool was definitely a big drawcard, to mix up our days with some pool afternoons, if the weather allows.

Would love to hear some opinions... Thank you!

I was thinking “stay put” until I read about your sons. BWV has the best pool slide at WDW, IMHO, so that would have me leaning toward trying to move your reservation there. OTOH, weather in January is iffy - they might be able to swim, they might not, and there’s no way to know until you’re there.

For what it's worth, I own at BCV but just rented points for a 1 BR BWV stay from 1/26 - 2/2 bringing our 2 adult nieces.
I generally think that the SAB closure will cause crowded leisure pools for YC/BC/BCV. Granted that it might not be pool weather but us New Englanders are pretty hardy when it comes to braving "cold" Florida temps and getting our mid-winter pool time!

As others have said, the Boardwalk pool has the best Disney hotel water slide. Especially if you are on the Villas side, it's a much shorter walk to Disney's Hollywood Studios than from any other hotel. Epcot is a short walk too, although nothing is closer than the Beach Club.

With a two-week vacation, I'd do a split stay just for some variety.

Have you considered a Monorail Resort stay? Perhaps do a few nights at the Poly?

HI all,

We recently booked a long awaited two week stay at Beach Club Villas for Jan 2025. (We're from Australia and have been planning this trip since 2019!)

Super exciting, but I keep worrying about the Stormalong Bay pool refurb.

Do you think it's worth changing resorts to the Boardwalk, or splitting our stay to another resort for a week? Or will we not use the pool much anyway, because it's January?!

The BC is traditionally our favourite because of the location, the beach vibes (and smell!) and pool. I love that you can walk to Epcot and other nearby resorts so easily. We have two boys (11 and 9) so the pool was definitely a big drawcard, to mix up our days with some pool afternoons, if the weather allows.

Would love to hear some opinions... Thank you!
I personally would never pay the same rate to stay at a resort that was going to have a major ammenity down. If they were offering a large discount, then syre, but I know they're not. Stormalong Bay in particular is one of the major selling points of the resort, so we definitely wouldn't spend that kind of money if it was going to be down.

As far as swimming in Jan. - we've had trips that we've swam in Jan. You can also always use the hot tubs too.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, everybody. I think we're going to follow all your advice to change our plans and go with the BWV instead. It just seems a bit nuts to stay at the Beach Club without Stormalong Bay!

(We've contemplated splitting our stay, but just don't want to lose so much time packing / moving / unpacking, given that we'll have groceries and be totally settled into our villa.)

I think switching is a good idea if the pool is important to you.

And I'm not just saying that in hopes of seeing more BCV availability at the 7 month mark for me to book! 🤣 (Seriously though....kind of hoping the SAB refurb opens up some availability for people like me who don't care about the pool but would love to check out the resort.)

I think moving to the BWV is the best idea. You still get a similar vibe but I think your boys will be much happier at that pool. The resort pools are small with limited seating, have a quiet atmosphere(Dunes Cove, BCV pool, is often referred to as the Quiet pool) and there are not any food or drink amenities for pool days. If a pool were important to my family especially having stayed at the BC and using Stormalong Bay previously, I would move.

I hardly ever go to SAB when I stay at BCV, and when I do go, it's to lie in the lounges, not to swim. Yet, BCV is my favorite resort.
I've been there several times in January, and it's usually too cold to swim IMO.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter