Should we SURPRISE our 4 DD on our 2nd. trip to WDW!

MOM POPPINS

<font color=red>I keep getting SOUVENIRS (wink) wh
We have 4 DD...11, 6, 3, and 4 months. We are going to WDW in December ...We have only been 1 other time in Sept. 2000 and we caught the disney bug and are ready to go back. We are planning on surprising them and either telling them the night before or the morning we leave for the airport. Have any of you done this ?????

:)

My sister in law just did this 10/5 - 10/10---
she has three kids 7, 5, 2... needless to say
she waited till the morning of
(so they would sleep the night before)
to let them in
on the secret and they were so excited!!!
She said there faces were priceless..

Also, this saved her from hearing how much
longer.....so if you can hold out I would

we are going Nov. 30 - Dec. 4 and haven't told our 8, and 6 yr. old either..

I cant wait to see there faces!!!

My sister and her family also just did this with their DS's 7&9. They did not tell them untill they picked them up from school with the car packed and ready to roll. The look on their faces were priceless. They had a great trip. We are going in January and choose to share the planning with our DS(9). He has had as much fun as us picking places to eat, where to stay, and what to do. I think both ways have advantages. As long as they get to go! Have fun either way.
Jordan's Mom

SURPRISE it is, I cannot wait to see their faces! They think we are going Christmas next year so have been on the planning they just think it is for next Christmas. As for the Grandparents they are taking us to the airport so they will get to tell them good bye...... I think we are set won't be long now !!!!

We are leaving in 2 weeks and my kids don't know. I don't want to tell them until we get up to go to the airport. It's just killing me!!!!

We are leaving in a couple of weeks, and have kept this trip a secret for almost a year!!! It has been soo much fun planning the whole thing!!!! We are going to wake the girls up in the morning and tell them that we are going for a drive...as the drive "progresses" we will give them hints to help them figure it out! Can't wait!!!!!!!

We did a surprise WDW trip once and a surprise Disney Cruise.

The first time when we went to WDW, we had just been there about 6 months ago and the kids didn't suspect a thing! We told them we were going for a long drive for a surprise vacation and they had no idea until we drove through the entrance sign! All of a sudden we were bombarded with questions - how long are we going to stay, which resort were we going to, which restaurants we were going to try, etc. It was so much fun!

The cruise was an early Christmas present and about a week before we were to leave I wrapped up several sets of clues, starting with pictures of the resort at WDW where we were going to spend the first night, a picture of Illuminations since we were going to do the fireworks cruise with friends, and finally a picture of Captain Mickey with the caption - "you're almost there, no time to lose, let's go on.......a DISNEY CRUISE!! The kids went wild!!

Though it -was- pretty funny, eventually. DS knew we were planning a trip, but he thought it was next year. He's 4, BTW.

We had an evening flight, so we packed everything up, then picked him up from school. We figured that by telling him a few hours before the flight, he could get some of the excitement out. When we got home and finished dinner, we told him we had a surprise for him, and we said that we were leaving for WDW, tonight! He just looked at us blankly, and said, what's the surprise? We were really disappointed with his reaction, but then we realized that he seemed to be searching the house. It dawned on us that in his mind, a surprise has to be a "thing"; a surprise announcement did not qualify! Oh well, we had a plane to catch ...

He was very subdued on the way to the airport, in the airport, and on the flight, and kept asking if we would take him to the science museum the next day. Finally, when the flight landed and the pilot said, "Welcome to the home of Disneyworld!" the lightbulb suddenly went on. He looked at us with his eyes like saucers, and said, "We're really at Disneyworld?"
He still looked kind of sceptical, until finally we turned down I-drive and he saw the gates.
Suddenly, it was "Mommy, Daddy! This is really Disneyworld!" and he started talking a mile a minute about everything he wanted to ride.

The downside? At that point, it was quarter to one in the morning! We got NO sleep. :eek:

my question to you is: Are they an easy going, go with the flow group of kids who can take a change in routine easily? The reason I ask is that we did a suprise trip for our children once (very similar to what you have planned) and one of our children freaked. She could not handle the change of routine. She constantly was nervous and asked when we would be going home. She seemed confused as to what was going to happen. And these are kids who are used to airplanes, hotels and vacations. if routine and stability are important I would at least tell the child a couple of days ahead of time. To be honest I am the one who primarily stayed behind (off the rides ) with her and comforted her. She did eventually warm up but 3 days into the trip so it was half over. Maybe this is not typical but if you do have anyone routine orientated, this type of surprise may not be the best idea. After all, some adults absolutely despise Surprise Parties.

You know your kids best but I have to agree with kidzmom3. Some kids cannot handle this. My niece broke into tears at the airport when she realized she was getting on a plane. Another family I know of got a limo to take them to the airport and their 6 year old was pretty baffled. They told her they were going bowling (in a limo???). when they finally yelled surprise at the airport and told her they were going to Disneyworld she broke into tears and cried for an hour because they weren't going bowling. Personally I would love to surprise my kids but I know I could never keep it a secret.

Would I suprise my kids?.................I'd have to say a definite NO to that one.
Our last visit was Oct 2000, and our next is Oct 2002, one year from today actually!! and there is already a little buzz starting in our house. I love the planning and the anticipation and so do they. I've got a year of smiles whenever Disney is mentioned, I couldn't let them miss out on that.
Maybe it's to do with having to fly fom the UK, a long time to travel 'n' all that, but it seems to me, from the posts on this board, that whether you come from near or far, Disney is like another world.
So, only 365 days to go :D:D:D

Mom Poppins,
I would definitely surprise the girls, but no tricks! Just sit them down and say" We've been planning a special vacation for a while and we decided to wait to tell you about it , so that you would be surprised. We're going to WDW!" Then maybe follow it up with a planning video or disneyland sing- along songs video while they eat their dinner or something. I would do this a couple of days before you leave so that they can pack what they want , say goodbye to their friends and grandparents, and kind of ease into it.....

All I can say is WOW!!

I have much respect for someone who has such fortitude and can keep this secret until the day arrives! I would be a blithering dolt, spewing the information in a moment.

Yes, I think it is a very cool idea indeed. I will need to try it on my two daughters the next time we go.

That is, if I don't spill the beans with my own excitement!

I would like to hear how it went, should you decide to surprise them!

:cool:

I am soooo glad it is getting closer now. Thw wait is killing me the girls are going to be so excited. I will let you all know how it went when we get back. Thanks for all your responses!:p

We did this for our dd's second trip and it was great, for one thing waiting when you are 3.5 is so hard! So finding out the day you leave is a plus. The down side is now Lexi is always hoping that at any given time this might be the day we surprise her and go to WDW again.

OK, I've been meaning to do this, really. We are leaving Dec. 29, and it is my intention to wrap up some presents like Disney dollars, the Hallmark crystal castle ornament, the Rock n Roller coaster t-shirt I bought last trip. But my DD is 10 1/2 and very smart. And I keep slipping up and saying things like "next time we go I think we'll..." She's probably figured it out by now, but hey, she doesn't know the actual date!

I am sooooo weak! I was going to surprise my kids and with a week to go I gave in. I told my 8 year old that we wanted to tell them something and he said "are we going somewhere on vacation?" I told him and he started screaming and ran to tell his 6 year old sister. They were hugging and jumping up and down. They have never been there before. He got a little teary eyed about getting on a plane and we talked about it plus they had been to the airport to pick up my brother so I think that helped. I wish I could have waited, but in a way glad I gave them some preparation time to get used to the idea.

I kept our US/IOA trip a secret from DS until 2 days before. DS like loves WDW but was really dissapointed that we had started planning a 2nd WDW trip before visiting US/IOA. I knew he would get a blast out of telling his friends on the friday before spring break started. What I did was put our itinerary in his room in with his clean laundry. I stood there while he was picking it up making small talk. When he saw the papers he looked puzzled until I said suprise. He was very suprised and happy. The funny thing is our DD who was 3 1/2 at the time was always around when I was doing the planning. I asked her not to tell him and she didn't. I really wanted her prepared for the rides and I was able to prepare her and surprise him.

I was going to surprise my daughter, but she has a school choir concert she will not be able to perform in
so I already told her, now the kids can help me plan and countdown our trip

29 days!!!!!

whew...glad the suspense is over, i had a hard time biting my tonuge. (spelling?)

We surprised our kids twice.

The first time, I booked the trip around 4 months ahead. I had been researching the idea for a while, and they just thought I was a little Disney obsessed. ;-) My DS who was 11 would have obsessed over every detail of the trip (in an anxious sort of way) and for the 5 yr old it would have been an eternity of waiting, so we decided to surprise them. We had hoped to leave right after Christmas and were going to tell them Christmas morning, but then we couldn't go due to a work thing until Jan 4, so we decided not to tell them. The funniest part was Christmas morning when they got lots of Disney clothes and stuff, and they still didn't figure it out. We have the greatest photos of sad faced children holding up t-shirts (and wondering where all the toys were because we scaled down the gifts because of the trip. They did get toys, just not as many as they thought they should.) Little did they know that in 10 days they'd be off on a 17 day vacation. ;-)

Jan 4 was the day they were supposed to go back to school after Christmas break, so they were expecting to get up early, we just woke them at 4 instead of 6. The night before, the 11 yr old asked if we were going to WDW, and I was afraid the cat was out of the bag...but I asked him why he'd think that? He said he had snooped and found a hotel confirmation. I told him, well we were thinking about going, but we realized we just couldn't swing it right now, and he accepted that. Then the next morning, he didn't even notice he was up early, and I was waiting in the bathroom to tell him when he walked in. Then I went in and woke the 6 yr old with "Wake up! We're going to Disney World!" She said "for real?"

An hour later we were in a cab, off to the airport. It was their first plane trip, their first vacation ever, and their first time at WDW.

The second time, we decided about 6 weeks before to go at Thanksgiving. We decided the wait would still be too hard, so again we opted for surprise. The really funny part this time was the trick would be on us. We were flying out T-day morning, so of course I didn't do the big grocery/buy the turkey trip. My 12 yr old was totally freaked out when it was the night before T-day and we didn't have a turkey. His dad assured him we'd get up at 4am and run to the store and buy all the trimmings. (I nearly lost it laughing right then.) So 4am rolls around, time to get them up for the cab, we tell them "Wake up! We're going to Disney World!" and THEY DON'T BELIEVE US! It tool 20 minutes to convince them that we weren't going to the grocery store. I was starting to freak out, because the cab would be there in 30 mins and they were still in their PJ's! ;-o But at 6am we were jetting off to WDW, but not without a few plane snafus. It was a more challanging trip, the 6 yr old came down with what we'd later find out to be strep on our 3rd day, and was sick the rest of the trip, but we just took it slow. Then on the way home, we were given $1600 in air vouchers for being bumped. We're using part of those vouchers for our trip in Dec.

This next time we aren't surprising them. They knew we'd be going somewhere to use the vouchers, and we discussed several alternatives to a trip to WDW. In the end we decided to do WDW, and we'll get annual passes and go again next T-day before it expires.

Always ;-)
Hunzi

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter