Sisterhood of the Traveling Ponchos! A weekend trip - August 2015 - Completed

AllysonL

Mouseketeer
Hello and welcome to my first ever trip report!!!
:welcome:

Let me introduce myself!! I’m Allyson, lover of all things Disney, and proud momma to a 2 year old girl – K. She’s a Tsum Tsum collector/Disney nut in the making and unfortunately not with me on this trip. But I’ll be referring to her at several points in this TR.

I was fortunate enough to be able to make this an adult’s only trip with my sister, so little miss K is back home in Georgia with my husband...who is really a saint for agreeing to this venture in the first place, since he also enjoys WDW and was very jealous of our little adventure.

I went to WDW for the very first time in the summer of 1990. I was hooked! I had loved Disney my whole life before then (I’d frequently make my grandmother play the role of various Disney characters as I acted out scenes from the movies. She was my “fairy grandmother”, such a good sport), but that first trip really sealed the deal for me. I’d visit several more times with family and friends over the next 10 years. The last trip being in 2000, when I then took a 14 year hiatus to be a rowdy 20 something without the funds to go to Disney every summer. That hiatus ended last December, when by some small miracle I conned my husband into taking our 15 month old to Disney. Here we are!

ry%3D400

Chris was hooked, K had a blast, and the Disney bug was back… alive and well!

Fast forward to August 5th, yes, as in two weeks ago. I’m sitting at work, browsing the TR boards when it hits me. I should go visit my sister. You see, my sister Nicole lives in Kissimmee, FL – a mere minutes outside of WDW. She just had hand surgery and is out of work for the rest of the month. “Hmm… I wonder how much a plane ticket would be to go next weekend” I ask myself. I check Southwest, almost $300 – no way. I check Spirit, round trip $97. Wow! After a few quick phone calls to DH and my sister, my plane ticket is booked! Yay!! Now what?

What happens over the course of the next few days was nothing short of just plain madness. I buy 1 day Magic Kingdom tickets for the two of us, and manage to score 8:10 reservations for BOG breakfast – sweet! We then decided that staying in her apartment isn’t good enough, so we look to get a hotel on site. All Star Music it is! Thank you FL resident discount! Then she manages to get 1 day park hoppers from a cast member friend. Well thank you! Okay, so what was going to be a casual weekend has turned into a full blown, hit all the parks, vacation!

Day 1​

I’m flying out of Atlanta on the 6am flight, which means I need to leave our house by 3am. Ouch. The night before I could not sleep. I was up doing laundry, showering, charging my phone/camera/tablet, packing and repacking. Finally, at some time around 11pm I was in bed. Oversleeping is a real paranoia of mine, as it’s something I do frequently. Since I knew I HAD to leave the house on time, I basically slept with one eye open, gripping my pillow tight…err…watching the clock all night. Alarm went off at 2:45, and I was out of the house by 3:08. A nice 40 minute drive to the airport, I’m looking for the park and ride lot. I drive around the airport once, no luck. Make another loop, still nothing. I think “good thing my parking reservation isn’t until 4am”, and I keep circling. Finally, after my 5th loop around the airport I head towards the international terminal, and what do you know… there’s the park and ride lot. The shuttle shows up maybe two minutes later and I’m off to the terminal. I’m through security and making my way to the gate around 5am. I grab some coffee, kill some time online and by 5:40 I’m boarding. The flight from ATL to MCO is short, and relatively painless. Those airline seats are SMALL and it was a packed flight, so I was thankful that it was only a little over an hour. With my feet on the ground, I make my way towards Disney’s Magical Express!

Hey look, it’s Mickey!
ry%3D400

Airport selfie:

ry%3D400

Bag in hand, it’s down the escalator to DME. I check in, there’s not a single person waiting for a bus. I get on board and there’s one other family on there – I hope they weren’t waiting long.

The ride to All Star Music was about 30 minutes, and before I know it, I’m here!

ry%3D400

Nicole had a doctor’s appointment to check her hand, and then she was heading over. She got to the hotel around 9am and we’re all checked in and ready to go! Our room was ready, so we head over to the Broadway building. We’re on the third floor, but not too far from the elevator. Bags are dropped off, park bags are packed and we’re off to get breakfast.

Mickey waffles. The stuff Disney dreams are made of.
ry%3D400

These waffles are really one of my favorite Disney foods. I could eat them every day. Crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. Yum! We come up with a game plan for the day, and we’re off to the buses.

We decide to do Epcot and Hollywood Studios. We skipped Animal Kingdom because it was HOT, and there really wasn’t much there I wanted to do other than ride Expedition Everest. AK can wait for my next trip!

The Epcot bus was waiting when we walked outside, so off we go! We’re there around 10:30. A quick stop at the bag check and we’re in!

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

Our main objective here was to drink around World Showcase - #1 because I’ve never spent more than 5 minutes in WS, #2 because I’ve never had a drink in WS, and #3 because I’m eager to try the Grapefruit beer in Germany that I’ve heard so much about here:
http://www.disboards.com/threads/ex...ed-8-16-page-18.3422241/page-12#post-54097359

(As a side note, if you’re not already reading @nilla 's trip report – DO IT! His writing style is awesome, and he’s hilarious. So please, read his TR’s)

I’m getting ahead of myself though. First, we ride Mission Space. I opt to try the Green Team – less intense training, since this is my first time riding it. We thought it was funny that every time they refer to it, they had to throw in the “less intense” part of it. I enjoyed it, but I’ll try Orange Team next time!

From there we hit up Test Track. It was fun, but I miss the original version.

And now, off to Mexico!

(As a side note, if you’re not already reading @nilla 's trip report – DO IT! His writing style is awesome, and he’s hilarious. So please, read his TR’s)

Speechless! Thank you SO much!

Subbing in on this TR, obviously :)

I can't believe you've never really done World Showcase, so I can't wait to hear what you thought of it. And, of course, the grapefruit beer.

I miss the previous version of TT, too. I like the new one, a lot, but it really can't compare. I want my Belgian Blocks back!

Not sure why you were thinking you could have a "casual" weekend at WDW, but since that assumption's out the window, I'm coming along for the ride. Great TR so far!

Do not hate the haters, (or something like that).
I also love your trip reports...I think I stalk them. :smooth:

Alright, we're cool now.

Sorry, Allyson, for hijacking your TR with my personal battles :)

Carry on...

I am #1!!!! Enjoying your trip report.

Thanks for joining!!

Speechless! Thank you SO much!

Subbing in on this TR, obviously :)

I can't believe you've never really done World Showcase, so I can't wait to hear what you thought of it. And, of course, the grapefruit beer.

I miss the previous version of TT, too. I like the new one, a lot, but it really can't compare. I want my Belgian Blocks back!

Not sure why you were thinking you could have a "casual" weekend at WDW, but since that assumption's out the window, I'm coming along for the ride. Great TR so far!

The only time we ever spent in WS was just walking through it. I have vague memories of there being African drummers, and watching them... but I was maybe 13-14 at that point. Other then that, there was never anything there that interested my father - who was my Disney trip sponsor all those years. So this was exciting for me! I'd love to go for F&W! I may have to work something out there.

ry%3D400

We stop at the QS stand outside for dos Dos Equis. They’re cold, and refreshing, and since it’s at least 90* degrees with 100% humidity, they go down a little faster than I had intended. We browse around inside the Mexico pavilion and get a few shots (camera shots, not tequila)…

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

And then hop on the Gran Fiesta tour!

ry%3D400

This is a cute little boat ride, and a nice break from the hot Florida sun. We exit the Mexico pavilion and who do we see? None other than Donald Duck!
ry%3D400

Up next is Norway. Since our beers from Mexico are gone, we get another round. I got the White Ale and Nicole got the Carlsberg. I really enjoyed the white ale. The fellow working the kiosk compared it to Blue Moon, but I actually found it to be not as heavy as Blue Moon, which was good… considering the heat.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

(The white ale is the lighter of the two - FYI)

Norway was nice. I'm very curious to see how they "Frozen"-ize it. Don't get me wrong, I love Frozen. I mean, I have a 2 year old after all... so I've seen it about 90 bajillion times. I just hope it's not too out of place here.

We took a seat outside of the China pavilion to enjoy our beers and just relax for a bit. I noticed that for a Friday in the summer, the crowd seemed very light.

ry%3D400

Beers done, it’s off to Germany!

Last edited:
ry%3D400

We decided to check out some of the shops and stuff before getting round #3. We wanted to kill some time before Snow White was set to arrive.
ry%3D400

I found this cute guy, and sent a picture to DH to see if this is something K would like. In reality, I really wanted Duffy for me because he’s SO snuggly! I sent him a text that said “This is Duffy”, to which his reply was that he could read the tag. Okay, need to take it easy on the beers! More browsing!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Finally, it was beer thirty and round #3 was purchased! Grapefruit for me, and Oktoberfest for Nicole. I made the mistake of getting two pretzels also. I say mistake because these things were the size of my head! We barely put a dent in one! And they were very dense. Into the bag they went to save for later.

Now, the beer. Oh my goodness it was delicious! So flavorful, and really hits the spot on a hot day. I’m a fan of shandy type beers, but the problem with these for me (or maybe it’s a good thing, I don’t know) is that I can’t drink more than one. They go down too easily, I would’ve been on the floor!

We walked out of Germany and realized we never met Snow. Oh well, next time! We’re too lazy (or buzzed) to walk back.

Onwards to Italy! We didn’t need a refill yet, so we just looked around. We stopped in front of this fountain for a short rest. While we’re sitting here, there’s a guy who is Facetiming with someone on his phone. He says “We’re in Italy. Who is this a statue of? Is this Zeus?”
watermark.php

Can’t make this up here folks! My sister and I had a little chuckle over Zeus now being Italian instead of Greek and carried on.

After a pit stop in the American Adventure, beers still in hand, it was over to Japan for some Photo Pass pictures! This photographer must have been bored, because there was literally 7 pictures alone from this spot.

ry%3D400

We walked passed Morocco and into France. We made it just in time to watch these guys:
FrancePavilion83.jpg

(Thank you fellow dis boarder for this photo – as I only took video of them). They were awesome! I didn’t mind that I was literally baking in the sun watching them.

And we posed for this picture:
ry%3D400

Next was over to jolly old England where we waited to meet Alice. She was great! Super interactive! I always feel stupid interacting with the characters, I don’t know why. But looking through the PP pictures, you could tell she was really cracking us up. She was very sweet and wished us a happy un-birthday.
ry%3D400

While we were waiting to meet Alice, we noticed people walking by with gigantic fish and chips. It smelled and looked SO good, we had to try some. So after Alice, we walked over to the QS stand to split an order. Wow! I don’t eat fish normally, DH doesn’t like the smell of it… so this was a real treat for me. It was SO good. I can’t stress that enough. SO good. Go get some right now!

At this point, it was just about 3pm and we decided we had enough of Epcot for the day. We were going to HS next. We opted for the Friendship ferry, since it was right there and off we went!

We stopped in front of this fountain for a short rest. While we’re sitting here, there’s a guy who is Facetiming with someone on his phone.
watermark.php

As I read through this, I was trying to see how the object in his right hand could be a phone, but maybe that's how phones looked back then. ;)

(Then I realized what you actually meant.)

I want another grapefruit beer RIGHT NOW. :)

I may have told you this before, but on our 2014 trip, the bartender at ESPN Zone at Boardwalk served us that beer with a shot of Absolut Mandarin in it. Wow.

Hearing people say dumb, silly things in Disney is a personal favorite activity of mine, and "Italian Zeus" ranks up there pretty high :)

I don't think we've ever had a less-than-stellar interaction with Alice. Same goes for Mary Poppins. They're always on, regardless of what they look like that day!

Agree on the fish 'n chips! Unfortunately, with all the other options at Epcot, it just never seems to get fit in for us anymore.

Great TR so far! It seems like you're hitting WS hard, and doing it the right way. Can't wait to read more!

Last edited:
Sounds like a great day so far...

It really was! Thanks for reading!

As I read through this, I was trying to see how the object in his right hand could be a phone, but maybe that's how phones looked back then. ;)

(Then I realized what you actually meant.)

To be fair, I didn't know who it was a statue of. I just knew it wasn't Zeus.

I want another grapefruit beer RIGHT NOW. :)

I may have told you this before, but on our 2014 trip, the bartender at ESPN Zone at boardwalk served us that beer with a shot of Absolut Mandarin in it. Wow.

Hearing people say dumb, silly things in Disney is a personal favorite activity of mine, and "Italian Zeus" ranks up there pretty high :)

I don't think we've ever had a less-than-stellar interaction with Alice. Same goes for Mary Poppins. They're always on, regardless of what they look like that day!

Agree on the fish 'n chips! Unfortunately, with all the other options at Epcot, it just never seems to get fit in for us anymore.

Great TR so far! It seems like you're hitting WS hard, and doing it the right way. Can't wait to read more!

They sell it at a bar right across from our development! I may have to go get one this weekend.

There were quite a few more silly thing we overheard. It just cracks me up that people don't know Disney, because I just assume EVERYONE there is a Disney nut.

I was really very happy with how we toured WS. If it wasn't so blistering hot, I think we could've done more. I just needed to get out of the sun. But now I have a pretty good idea of how I'd do it next time!

Day 1 – Part 2​

We left off on board the Friendship ferry en route to HS. The ferry, for those who don’t know, goes from Epcot to Yacht & Beach Club, Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin, and ends at Hollywood Studios (and vice versa). The trip takes about a half hour. Now, when we took this in December, it took much longer than a half hour. I’m not really sure why. But, going by the time stamp on our pictures, we wrapped up with Alice at 2:45 and were posing for these photos an hour later – and we had “lunch” in between.

ry%3D400

My daughter LOVES Tinkerbell. She can recite every line from every Tinkerbell movie. So I thought it would be cool to take this picture for her.

I checked the wait times for the dwindling attractions here, and we opted to start with the Great Movie Ride. The posted wait time was 40 minutes, which didn’t seem too bad. So on we went.

ry%3D400

This ride is fun, and even though I know it’s a little different, they really haven’t changed it all that much since I was a kid. Also, if your child is of the faint at heart, this ride is not for them. We had a few crying children in our car. It’s loud, the gangster is kinda scary, and that alien thing is just freaky. So, word to the wise.

Up next was One Man’s Dream. I’m sad they’re getting rid of this, it should be a mandatory stop for anyone visiting. It’s a nicely done exhibit. We just missed the start of the movie, and didn’t feel like waiting for the next one, so back out in the hot sun we go!

Pixar Place is next for Toy Story Midway Mania! This ride is really a lot of fun. I really enjoy it, and didn’t mind waiting in the standby line for it. The wait was posted at 75 minutes, and it was probably about that. It got a little jumbled at the end and they ushered us through the handicap entrance so we were on much quicker than those waiting around us. My sister whopped my behind in this. But my accuracy was better. Ha!

ry%3D400

We exited the ride and the sky was not looking good. We dashed through the Streets of America and popped into Mama Melrose to see if we could get a table for dinner. Fat chance.

Okay, so what next? My sister hates the Muppets (blasphemy!) so we go to make our way towards Star Tours. And…. It’s raining. Break out the ponchos! My sister, being ever so frugal, picked up two child size ponchos at CVS. They did the job of keeping our top half dry, and our bags and electronics. But this thing was like an oversized t-shirt at best. More on that later…

On to Star Tours! Again, another attraction they’ve updated but still keeping bits of the attraction I remember from the 90’s. I love this ride, and the fact that there’s different “missions” now makes it more fun. We went to Wookie Island, and some underwater scene with JarJar.

Exiting the ride into Tatooine Traders, you could not move an inch. By this point the downpours were so bad, the walkways outside were flooded. I don’t like being a sardine in a can, so we made our way through the crowd – ponchos on – and out into the rains we went. We swam – err – walked over to Backlot Express to grab some dinner.

Now, this part of the story gets me a little aggravated. I understand it’s raining, and I understand that people don’t want to get wet. But unless you’re buying food or eating, don’t take tables away from paying customers <end rant>.

We each ordered cheeseburgers and fries. They were, ehh. Nothing to write home about, but for the purpose of this trip report they’ve been included.

The rain seems to have died down, so we decided to make our way out towards Tower of Terror. I LOVE this ride! Posted wait time I think was only 20 minutes, I’m pretty sure we were on it in 10. A far cry from the 2+ hour waits I remember from my childhood, that’s for sure. The last time I rode this was in 2000, and I remember being somewhat disappointed because they had changed the drop. Slowed it down maybe? It wasn’t NEARLY as terrifying as it had been in years prior. That was definitely not the case this time! They must’ve dropped us 5-6 times. Each time was has scream inducing as the last. So much fun!!

It was just about 8pm when we finished the ride. We contemplated taking on RNR coaster, but neither of us were really feeling it. We noticed people lining up for the 9pm showing of Fantasmic!, so we decided to get in line. It’s starting to drizzle now, so back into the ponchos we go. For some reason, we were both thinking that Fantasmic! was covered – it’s not. So by the time we got into the theater, maybe around 8:20 or so, the benches were soaked. We attempted to pull down the ponchos enough so that our butts wouldn’t get wet, but remember… these are child sized. There was no way that was happening. And my sister ripped the hood on her’s in the process.

Sitting there in the rain, on a cold wet bench, watching the lightening in the distance, the announcement goes off that the show may be delayed or cancelled if the weather is bad. We made the executive decision to call it a night and make our way back to the buses. I’ve seen Fantasmic! a lot recently, thanks to K’s obsession with “Mickey fireworks”. We’ve watched the video on YouTube about 100 times. I was still bummed to miss seeing it in person though. Next time!

We were back at the resort by 9. I stopped at the pool bar to get a Captain’s Mai Tai. This was delicious! It was just the night cap I needed. I called DH and K for a little video chat, and then it was lights out. We have an early day tomorrow at the Magic Kingdom!!

Day 2 – Magic Kingdom​

Remember my paranoia of oversleeping? Yea, that’s in full effect here. Despite being up at 2:45 am the day before, I could not sleep for the life of me. So at 5am, we were awake. Up, showered, dressed and made up – we were out the door by 7:15 to the bus stop.

The bus was already waiting, and it was a full house. It was not your typical Disney bus, this was a coach bus. Very comfortable for the 20 minute ride over to Magic Kingdom. There was a very nice family on the bus in front of us, they had 5 kids (maybe 6). Bless their hearts. We made friends with one of the daughters, she was 4. Such a sweet thing. Until she dropped the F bomb getting off the bus. I almost died laughing. I can’t handle it when little kids curse, I think it’s the funniest thing. But I digress.

We have bus photos!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We pull up to Magic Kingdom, and people are lining up for rope drop. Lucky us, we have an early reservation.

Side tangent – this reservation is what set this whirlwind Disney trip in motion. By dumb luck, I just so happened to be checking what was available for breakfast at the exact right moment. One, lone 8:10 reservation at Be Our Guest. Twist my arm why dontcha…

Walking up towards the gate, all the way over on the left hand side was a CM with a clipboard. We got checked in and were sent to the VIP line ;-)

Being able to walk on to Main Street before the park was flooded (both by people and rain) was simply magical. There is nothing better than this view to start your day!
ry%3D400

We stop for the Photo Pass here:
ry%3D400

Is this bench new? I don’t remember seeing it before. Granted, when I was here last there was a giant Christmas tree in this spot. So it may have been covered.

More empty park photos!
ry%3D400

The cast members here were waving at you as you walked down the street. Tears of joy were happening at this point!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

We make our way into Fantasyland, and up to the Beast’s castle!

Someone is excited!

ry%3D400

There’s a few families in line ahead of us waiting for the restaurant to open. The CM’s come out and there’s rounds of applause and “bonjours” all around, we’re in!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

The décor in here is beautiful. For a quick service breakfast/lunch, it’s a very nice place to go!

We place our order at the kiosk and off to find a table. We have a seat in the main ballroom, next to the windows with the snow.

Again, if you have not been here… there’s “snow” falling outside the windows of the ballroom. More Disney magic!

A few short minutes later, our food arrives.

I got the Open-Faced Bacon and Egg Sandwich
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Nicole got the Croque Madame
ry%3D400

Everything was delicious! For $20 pp, you get the pastries, drinks, a bowl of fruit and your entrée. It was so much food. Mine was very good, but I liked Nicole’s better. I would 100% eat here again.

We had lunch here on our December trip, and that also was outstanding. So now I just need to try dinner. This is well worth the hype in my opinion. And breakfast and lunch are only a QS credit, for those on the dining plan.

With our bellies full, it’s off to our first FP+ of the day – Peter Pan! This ride is quintessential Disney. It’s exactly the same as it was in 1990, and probably even before. And I still love it! I was wondering how often they need to repaint it to keep the colors looking so vibrant. Anyone know?

Anyway… so this ride is a must see attraction. I would not, however, wait more than 30 minutes to ride it. I’ve heard stories of the queue for this getting around the 2 hour mark. That’s just absurd to me. I’d love to see what the new queue looks like though. Maybe one day…

After returning from Neverland, we decide to pick up a shift working the ol’ diamond mine. The wait for 7DMT is only 20 minutes. Am I in the Twilight Zone? The park has been open for an hour, and we only have a 20 minute wait?! We jump in line, and I’m very thankful we did this when we did. Because the line afterwards was SUPER long.

Nicole had never been on Mine Train, so this was new for her. I got to ride it with DH on our last trip, but I still enjoyed it. The queue for this one has a lot of interactive stuff, which I think does more harm than good. It’s great to keep the kiddos busy, but I also think it holds up the line. The family in front of us kept losing their kids because they wouldn’t move when the line moved. Then you have people who like to just outright cut the line. It wasn’t a big deal for me, we weren’t in a rush to do anything, but I could see how someone may get ticked off at people for doing that…

Up next, we did the Winnie the Pooh ride. Very, very cute. I’ve never been on it. I really enjoyed it. I’m a fan of that silly ol’ bear. My favorite part of this was bouncing along with Tigger. That was a really cute feature.

I also tried to locate the hidden Mickey, but to no avail.

Oh, this attraction also has a lot of interactive things for the littles.
ry%3D400

From here, we went Under the Sea. I feel bad for this attraction. There was NO ONE back here. We walked right on. It’s really a nice ride, I loved the part where you go backwards – like you’re really going under the sea.

ry%3D400

Afterwards we popped in next door to Ariel’s grotto. I was not a fan of this particular Ariel. She just seemed kind of blah.

ry%3D400

It was a little after 10am at this point, so we decided to meet some more characters. Off to Storybook Circus!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

This area was a lot of fun! The character interaction was great. I really really enjoyed it!!

Last edited:
Up next it’s time for everyone’s favorite attraction – It’s a Small World! Again, another Disney staple. I hope they keep this running until the end of time! In case you haven’t seen it, here are some highlights!

ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400
ry%3D400

No matter how many times I ride this ride, I always wind up taking a TON of photos. What is it about this attraction that makes everyone camera crazy? I just don't know.

Coming up in our next installment, we have our next 2 Fast Passes – and they involve mountains, and maybe a little water.

Ohhhhh the suspense!! Stay tuned!!

I set my phone alarm AND got wake-up calls for our Disney mornings. I share your fear, which ultimately leads to me being up hours before I have to. It stinks, and I'm trying to overcome it!

I also get a kick out of kids cursing. As long as they're not my kids. Well, not entirely true - if it is my kids, I just have to wait until they can't hear me to laugh :)

The bench with Minnie and Roy has been there as long as I can remember, which means "at least 10 years".

We've NEVER been able to find the Hidden Mickey in the Heffalumps and Woozles scene of Winnie the Pooh, and I now doubt it even exists. I have spotted the one in the paint spill at the very end of the ride, however.

BOG is my favorite Disney restaurant! And while we don't do Disney breakfasts, that particular one looks AMAZING.

You're really cranking out this TR, aren't you? Enjoying every post!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter