Sisterhood of the Traveling Ponchos! A weekend trip - August 2015 - Completed

Day 2 – Part 2​

We left off with me taking 100 pictures on It’s a Small World (you know you do it too). Checking the time, we realize we need to high tail it over to Frontierland before we miss our FP+ window for….

BIG THUNDER MOUNTAIN RAILROAD!! Woo hoo!!

Our FP+ time was for 10:10-11:10, and we got there just after 11am. Wheew. Mickey to mickey, green light, ready to go! The FP line looked a lot longer than it really was. So much so, that people we ditching the FP line to jump in standby. Silly. We waited maybe 10 minutes. I love this roller coaster. I just wish it was a little more intense. Did they slow this one down too? I remember it having a much bigger drop for some reason.

Up next it’s off to the Laughin’ Place! This ride is awesome! It really is. I never get tired of it, and I just HAVE to ride it… no matter what. 40* in December, I’m going on (and I did last year, and I got wet)!

We really timed this perfectly, which is what I was going for (high five), as our FP time for this was 11:10-12:10.

There was a lot of congestion up at the FP entrance. People were trying to use their FP that they had scheduled for later in the evening. The CM was trying to explain to them that their time wasn’t until later (I think like 7pm) but they could not understand why they couldn’t use it now. You want to ride? Wait standby!

Also, why do people walk ALL the way up to the entrance, and just STOP. If you don’t know if you want to ride, wait off to the side. This was a recurring theme throughout the trip. Drove us batty!

Let me take a moment to explain why there are ZERO pictures here.

#1 – it was hot, and I was too lazy to take any

#2 – I had our fancy DSLR camera with me, and I didn’t want it getting wet so as soon as we got in line I stuck it in the ziplock I brought with me.

So back to the mountain. The ride was great, we did not get THAT wet. Brer Rabbit is safe! Hooray!!

We exit the ride and see that Woody & Jesse are meeting right there! Naturally, we have to pose for a picture with the Sheriff!

ry%3D400

There’s a snake in my boot! Somebody poisoned the water hole!

Love that guy…

It’s probably a little after 12 at this point and we’re feeling the effects from our early morning wake up. We decide to hop on the railroad and take it around to Main Street. It was a nice ride along the railroad. Definitely a great way to get around, and little to no wait at the station.

From here, we’re on a mission for one thing and one thing only. Starbucks.

God Bless America, there’s a Starbucks in the Magic Kingdom!

We walk up Main Street into the bakery and try to mooch as much of the a/c as we can!

Iced coffee in hand, we opt to browse the shops along Main Street to stay out of the heat and the crowds.

What’s that sound?! Is there a parade? There is! It’s the Move It! Shake It! Dance & Play It! Street Party!

(I may be a little off on my times here, but I know the parade was at 12:30 – we had our coffees by the time I was taking these pictures)

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Awwe Genie!

ry%3D400

After the parade, we walked around for maybe an hour or so, just looking at various things I could waste my money on when we smelled something heavenly. Casey’s Corner. My goodness, those hot dogs smell good!

This place is not big enough for the amount of people they cram in here, that’s all I’m going to say about that. We get our food, and we walked around for a table, and walked, and walked, and walked. Finally, we spotted someone getting up and swooped in like vultures to grab that table! Those are a hard thing to come by here.

We sat and ate, we watched people deliberately ignore the “Do not feed the birds” signs, and we listened to the piano player outside. He was very good. All in all, Casey’s was “okay”. I think I’d try one of the fancy hot dogs next time, because those looked really good.

Finishing up lunch we check the time (I don’t remember exactly what time it was – bad trip report writing) and we decide to hang around Main St to catch the Festival of Fantasy parade. This one is new for me, we missed it on our last trip. Come to find out, it was new for Nicole too! For someone who gets to visit the parks frequently, there’s a lot of things she hadn’t seen.

But… it’s raining. The parade is delayed. Whomp whomp. Back in to the stores we go!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

This glass melting/blowing thing was pretty cool. He was making a flamingo. I could’ve watched him for hours.

Looking outside it’s starting to clear up. The afternoon rain did not cool things down at all. In fact, it feels hotter.

We find a spot in shade and wait for the parade to start up.

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

I really wanted to buy a balloon. I had no reason too, and I wouldn't have been able to bring it home with me... but I still wanted one!

We missed the Daper Dans. They sang a little further down from us and we couldn't hear them.

Parade time!! Here we go!!!

(picture heavy post next)

Wow!!! Wow wow wow wow!! I laughed, I cried. What a parade! K would have LOVED this. Which is attributing to my tears. I miss that little booger. She is really into the Disney Princesses right now (in addition to Tink – I told you, this kid LOVES Disney) so she would have lost her little mind with this parade.

Did you notice the sky in those pictures? No? Go back and look… I’ll wait…

Yea, it’s not looking good. We start to make our way towards the exit, figure we’ll go back to the hotel and take a break. Shower, find dinner, etc. That did NOT happen. It’s POURING and lightening. I have a fear of lightening. My DH used to be a volunteer EMT. He had a call once where a woman got struck in a parking lot. Of course, he tells me all the graphic details and I have been terrified since.

Not wanting to wait for the bus, or you know, WALK to the bus in the rain – we decided to hang out in the park.

Nicole manages to get us on the list for Tony’s. But we had to wait an hour. No problem, let’s go to Pixie Hollow!!

... to be continued

Great update! We couldn't find the glass blower in MK this year. Now we know where he is!

I've wanted to try Casey's, but there's been some confusion among us as to whether or not it's included in the DDP. Also, the seating does look horribly inadequate. What did you end up getting there?

Agree with the baffling congestion at the ride entrance, and it seems to happen more often at Splash Mountain than anywhere else. For some reason, guests forget how FP+, ride queues, height requirements, etc. work when they get to this attraction.

Festival of Fantasy is such a cool parade!

Loving this trip and can't wait to read more.

Great update! We couldn't find the glass blower in MK this year. Now we know where he is!

I've wanted to try Casey's, but there's been some confusion among us as to whether or not it's included in the DDP. Also, the seating does look horribly inadequate. What did you end up getting there?

Agree with the baffling congestion at the ride entrance, and it seems to happen more often at Splash Mountain than anywhere else. For some reason, guests forget how FP+, ride queues, height requirements, etc. work when they get to this attraction.

Festival of Fantasy is such a cool parade!

Loving this trip and can't wait to read more.

Yup, the glass blower was in the shop with all the crystal stuff. Descriptive huh? Haha! But he was pretty cool.

At Casey's, I got the Hot Dog meal which was just a plain hot dog with fries. I was hopping they were going to have more toppings over on the side, but it was just the basics - mustard, ketchup, relish. Nicole got the corn dog nuggets, which were really good. And according to this, they are on "some" dining plans.
https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/dining/magic-kingdom/caseys-corner/

And thank you! I'm glad you're enjoying it!!

Great TR! Following along.

Thanks for joining!! :thanks:

We've got another update coming.... NOW!

Day 2 – Part 3​

It’s raining… I mean really, really raining! Curse you Florida weather!!

We have tentative dinner reservations at Tony’s Town Square, but we have an hour to kill. We decide to get in line to meet Tink! She has a posted wait time of 25 minutes, so why not!

I think the Town Square Theater is kind of an odd place for Miss Bell. I feel like she doesn’t really belong here. They couldn’t put her near the Peter Pan meet? Anyway… I digress.

The line moves pretty quickly and before I know it, we’re waiting in the room to get “sprinkled” with some pixie dust for our journey to Pixie Hollow. This was really cute! It’s basically just a dark-ish room, and the walls are lit up with little tiny lights that resemble trails of pixie dust. And poof! The doors open and you’re in Tink’s house!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Tink was so cute! She was telling us all about her pet mouse, named Cheese (which I already knew from watching her movies 7,000 times), and that he ran away because he thought Nicole was Minnie Mouse. You see, he has a huge crush on Minnie and he was embarrassed and he took off! So funny!

We smiled and said “Cheese”!

ry%3D400

Back from our trip to Pixie Hollow, we walked over to the waiting area for Tony’s. I’m thankful this is all connected and we don’t have to step outside. It’s still raining.

We get a seat and we wait…………..

I think we were waiting for about 45 minutes, which, I really can’t complain about since we didn’t have an ADR. It was PACKED.

I’m going to voice one gripe about this place. The bathroom in here is NOT big enough. It has 3 stalls. That’s it. The line for the ladies room was ridiculous. But, since I didn’t want to sprint across the street in the monsoon I had to deal with it. But come on! Expand your bathrooms.

They finally call our name, and in we go. Again, the place is packed and it’s freezing! It’s unnecessarily cold in here. I feel bad for the people coming in soaking wet from being outside.

Our waitress was right over to take our order. We got the calamari:
ry%3D400

It was terrible. Kidding!

Clearly, judging by the empty plate we enjoyed it.

There’s also bread
ry%3D400

Again, awful. Don’t bother. Haha!

I didn’t take any pictures of our actual meal, but I got the cannelloni and Nicole got the chicken parm. Both were really good and we basically licked our plates clean.

We split dessert – tiramisu, and we each got a cappuccino.
ry%3D400

Everything was very good! We ate here back in December and we enjoyed it then as well. Now, don’t get me wrong… if you want GOOD Italian food, this isn’t it. But for Disney, I think it’s pretty good. The service was excellent, going by how busy the place was. And our server didn't rush us at all, in fact, I think she was encouraging us to wait out the rain... but that wasn't happening.

It’s after 6pm at this point, and it’s still pouring. We’re being babies about going out and getting soaked… so we buy new ponchos! (If you remember, Nicole ripped her’s last night and I was being a rebel and didn’t bring mine).

New ponchos on, we come up with a game plan. Hug the buildings as much as we can, make our way down Main St and into Tomorrowland. Sounds good right?

So we’re walking, and we’re not getting too soaked… then we realize, almost all the store on Main St are connected on the inside. What dopes! We only spent a better part of the afternoon in these places.

But it’s cold in there, and we’re almost to Tomorrowland so we tough it out in the elements.

In Tomorrowland we hit up the following attractions:

Monsters, Inc. Laugh Floor – this was my first time doing this. I was AMAZED by the Disney magic here! How do they know what people are doing? How do they hear people’s responses!? Amazed! Finally my sister clued me in. This is so great, I really love it!

Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin – we got a 4th FP+ for this earlier in the day. This was another new attraction for me. I have to say, after TSMM… this attraction stinks! Haha! I think I’m just bitter because my blaster was broken and Nicole schooled me in this. It was still fun though, and the picture we got was so ridiculous. I wasn’t paying to download it, but just imagine the silliest faces ever.

Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress – It’s a great big beautiful tomorrow!! This attraction is so dated, but it’s great. I haven’t seen this in a long time, and I forgot a lot of it. So this was fun.

Tomorrowland Transit Authority PeopleMover – not much to talk about here, other than this thing moved a little faster than I had expected! This brings you around all the tomorrowland attractions on an elevated track. It’s covered overhead, so we stayed dry.

Thankfully, the rain was starting to let up at this point but not enough for the 9pm parade to go on. SO, we walk over to ride the Haunted Mansion!

We walked right on. I think the posted wait time was 15 minutes, but we literally walked right up to the door.

I was getting very tired at this point, so the dark ride was making me sleepy. I don’t remember which hitchhiking ghosts we had. I think it was the one that switched our heads. I didn’t really appreciate this ride as much as I normally do. I was just wiped out.

Forging on, we stop for one last attraction – Mickey's PhilharMagic! This was another walk on, we got in just as they were closing the doors. I love this show and everything about it! I have a hard time with the 3D stuff, so I had to keep sliding my glasses down to give my eyes a break. But I still enjoyed it.

We were walking out and we walked past a family heading towards the attraction. The mom called it something totally wrong. I forget what she said, but it was something like Mickey’s Magic Music or something. We had a nice chuckle at that.

And look at the time! It’s almost 10pm and they’re going to do Wishes! We cut through Liberty Square and wind up right in front of the castle. Not the best viewing location for this by any means, but we didn’t care at this point. Hearing the music to this makes me cry. Just thinking about it while I’m typing this gives me chills. I love it so much! I swear, no one does fireworks better than Disney!

With Wishes wrapped up, we start walking back down Main St. We confirmed with a CM that the 11pm parade IS happening, so we decide to stick around. We grab spots on the curb in front of Town Square Theater, to give us prime exiting positions for when the parade ends.

I’m excited to see this parade. When we were here last, we came for Mickey’s Very Merry Christmas party – so there was no electrical parade. The MVMCP parade was excellent though – if you’ve never done Disney during the holidays, DO IT! I highly recommend it.

So I’ve never seen the Main St Electrical Parade. During my younger Disney years, the night time parade was Spectro Magic! I LOVED Spectro. I LIVED for Spectro. I’d make my father watch both parades. I was obsessed. I wanted to be one of the butterflies in the parade.

Needless to say, MSEP had big shoes to fill in my book.

Here we go! Tink starts off the parade!

ry%3D400

I don’t know why her float is first. In my opinion it should be this one:
ry%3D400

With this guy!
ry%3D400

Wonderland is next
ry%3D400

ry%3D400

It’s the same Alice we saw yesterday in Epcot!

We got jipped on Cinderella, she didn’t wave at our side at all…

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Some very dark picture of Pan and Hook

ry%3D400

And Mr. Smee
ry%3D400

And that’s it in terms of photos for the parade. The rest I took came out terrible. I was trying to play with the settings on the camera, but each one I changed it too just resulted in a worse photo. But here’s the run down:

After Smee came the 7 Dwarfs and Snow White, follow by Pinocchio and the lost boys or whatever they’re called, then Pete’s Dragon – does anyone even know who this is anymore? I felt like this was totally lost on the crowd.

The floats were REALLY spaced out. So much so, we didn’t bother waiting for the end of the parade. I’m not sure if it’s always like this or if they were having technical difficulties, but we weren’t waiting.

Out to the buses we go. We were on the bus by 11:15 ish and back at our resort by 11:30. Straight to bed we went! Check out is tomorrow :(

Day 3​

It’s a sad day! My whirlwind mini vacation is coming to an end. We have to check out by 11, and my flight home isn’t until almost 10pm. So I have a LOT of time to kill.

We wake up around 9. Shower, pack up, and I walk down to get breakfast/coffee and to print my boarding pass. ::sniff::

I tried to take some pictures of the resort, but coming out of the cold room into the August humidity… not conducive for picture taking. My camera lens kept fogging up.

I make my way towards Melody Hall, first stop being the concierge desk for my plane check in. This is really convenient that they offer this. Within minutes I had my boarding pass, and I was off to get breakfast.

One kids order of Mickey waffles and coffee, and I’m making my way back to the room. I eat, Skype with the hubs and kiddo, and we decide to check out. It was a little before 11…

Some non-Disney business… we take the 5 minute ride over to Nicole’s apartment so she can grab a few things and check in on her dog. Her roommate was home all weekend, but she left early Sunday morning so he needed to go out. Now, in case you’re wondering… on your next drive over to Disney you should pass a resort called Gaylord Palms. It’s a huge place, you can’t miss it. Over the left side of the building, that’s where Nicole lives. Lucky duck.

Dog business taken care of, it’s back in the car for our last excursion – Downtown Disney!

I’ve read horror stories about the parking/traffic situation here with all the construction. It really wasn’t THAT bad. I don’t know if we were getting there at an off time or what, but parking was relatively easy.

Here’s a few highlights:

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

And we’re having lunch here!
ry%3D400

We have a 1:20 ADR, and we have some time to kill. We stop at Dockside Margaritas for a drink. I got the Orange Grove Rum Runner
ry%3D400

Holy mother of god this thing is delicious! So delicious in fact, I had two more that afternoon.

And the nice waiter took this picture for us

ry%3D400

Drinks finished, we walk over for lunch. We were seated right away, and our waitress was prompt with our drink orders.

For lunch, we ordered the lobster corn dogs as a starter. These were so freaking amazing! I could’ve eaten just these as my meal.

Nicole ordered the corn & crab soup and the Fulton’s chopped salad. The soup was good, she let me try some.

I ordered the seafood combination. Yum yum yum!!
ry%3D400

Everything was really good. I couldn’t finish the fish, it was HUGE. But everything was very fresh and delicious.

This was a very expensive lunch. Not something we’d likely do again anytime soon, but the food was very good.

Now some shopping!!

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400
ry%3D400

I bought a few things. Nothing in the Christmas store though. I was very disappointed. I had some specific things I was looking for, but maybe closer to the holidays I’ll find what I was looking for.

I got K a Duffy bear, Chilly the snowman – to go with all her Doc McStuffins stuff she got for her birthday, and some more Tsum Tsum’s. Chris got an R2D2 coffee mug, and I got a mug for myself – it has the seagulls from Finding Nemo with “mine mine mine mine mine” all over the mug. It’s cute.

Shopping done, it looks like it’s going to rain. Surprise surprise. So we go back to the hotel so I can wait for the DME back to the airport. We have some time to kill, so we get drinks and sit inside the dining hall. It’s very quiet in here, everyone must be in the parks. There’s only a handful of people eating.

I charge up my phone, video chat Chris & K, and before I know it, it’s time to go!

Nicole & I say our goodbyes and she leaves me here:
ry%3D400

The bus comes pretty quickly, and it’s a little more crowded going to the airport then it was when I came in. There is one segment of the bus video, it’s a father who is in the military… he comes home to surprise his daughter who is in the cheerleading/dance competition in Disney. Oh my god!! The tears. This video, combined with the emotion of leaving Disney… I must’ve looked like a fool on the bus.

We get to MCO in about a half an hour. The bus is unloaded and into check in I go. The rest of the night was pretty uneventful. I get through security, sat at Ruby Tuesday’s for an hour and a half and had dinner, and boarded the plane.

This was a very crowded flight, again. I had the luxury of getting the middle seat, yuck. And all of a sudden, I get hit with the worst migraine of my life. I actually slept on the plane, which I never do because it hurt that bad. The whole drive home from the airport to home was a blur… I got home a little after 1am and just collapsed.

And that concludes my trip report. Thank you and good night.

Just kidding!! Closing comments are coming next update!

Alright, let's try to get this thing wrapped up today shall we!

Conclusion​

Wow! What a weekend! I had such a great time. But 2 days isn’t NEARLY enough. I really enjoyed experiencing the 21+ side of World Showcase, and being able to stop and enjoy the beauty of each country.

I was sad to miss Fantasmic! but I’m eager to see these new additions come to Hollywood Studios. This park needs some new life in it.

Magic Kingdom was wonderful as always! We totally missed Adventureland. With Pirates being closed, I didn’t see much of a need to walk through there. My sister isn’t a fan of the Tiki Room (seriously, how are we related?!) so I wasn’t going to subject her to it. I really wanted to try a Dole whip too, since I’ve never had one. There’s always next time!

I couldn’t believe how many things I was experiencing for the first time, and how many things never get old! Gotta love the magic of Disney!

I really liked All Star Music. For the short weekend, this hotel was perfect. I know a lot of people complain about the buses. We had no issue with the buses at all. The only time we shared a bus was coming back from Hollywood Studios, and that was because we were traveling at an off time. And even with stopping at All Star Sports first, it wasn’t a big deal. The buses were fast, clean, got us where we needed to go safely. No complaints there!

The room was clean, beds were comfortable, and the location was quiet! I’m not going to lie, it was a hike between the room and Melody Hall. Our room sort of faced the parking lot, but we heard NOTHING from outside. We never heard the people next door to us, which was a big complaint of mine from Pop. We heard EVERYTHING going on around us, and for that reason alone I probably wouldn’t go back to Pop. I’d like to try All Star Movies next. I stayed at Sports back in 2000, so Movies will complete the trifecta for me!

So now it’s back to reality. Lurking on the Dis every day, planning the next trip in my mind. I need to find a dog sitter in GA so we can take a family vacation, so that’s on my agenda right now. Then it’s convincing DH that we HAVE to go again before K turns 3 (next August).

I hope y’all enjoyed my first trip report! This was a lot of fun to write. I can’t wait to do my next one! Thanks for reading!!

ry%3D400

Sounds like you had a great time and how wonderful you got to have a sisters trip :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter