Skipper Canteen - thoughts?

Really enjoyed it on our last trip. Was unsure about it going in, but was pleasantly surprised. I ordered the strip steak and it was excellent. Theming is very cool, as well.

Another yes. We tried it by chance because it was the only last-minute TS restaurant with any availability in all of MK, and now we try to eat there every trip. Great ambiance, decor, and the food and drinks are great. Different than everything else on property.

We really enjoyed it and my picky daughter was thrilled she enjoyed "exotic" food. We sat at the butterfly table and our waiter treated us like royalty. It was very fun.

Been there twice for lunch and great both times. Really good staff if you enjoy the bad Jungle Cruise jokes.
Good service and food.

FWIW I ate there in May with a picky eater (she eats mostly hamburgers and chicken) and this was her favorite meal all trip. She loved the bread. I forget what she got but it wasn't the "tastes like chicken because it is chicken" something more Asian. Myself, I loved the atmosphere, because I LOVE the Jungle Cruise, but the food I found only so so. Not bad by any means (I ate it all!!!) but I have had better inside Magic Kingdom.

It's easily the highest quality food in Magic Kingdom, we've gone twice so far and will now always eat lunch here on one of our Magic Kingdom days.

I am so happy to read so many positive reviews. We will be going there for the 1st time during our trip in December.

I ate there in January and have an ADR for September. I thought my dish (sustainable fish) was fine. Was it the best thing I've ever eaten? A long way from it but it was perfectly acceptable and, more importantly, they sell beer in there!

I learned a long time ago to consider Disney dining a separate species. I never expect the quality of meal I would get for similar prices here at home. I almost always go with comparatively low expectations, especially inside the parks.

Well it sounds like, with a few exceptions, people really like it here. Definitely makes me feel better about my ADR here and I will definitely look forward to this experience. I'm really interested in trying the Kungaloosh....whatever that is.... Thanks!!!

Our Family also really enjoyed everything about Skippers: We had the Whole Fried Fish was very good, loved the theme: feels like you're in an old movie.

I really enjoyed dinner there back in march. The greeter was very funny, though our primary waitress was a bit low key. I had the chicken, and it was quite good. The desert, though, was out of this world! It was the lemon grass ginger cake thing. It was really, really good, so save room for desert.

I'm going to be an outlier here and say my sister and I didn't like it at all. We went in January on a Saturday night around 8pm. The waiter we had was terrible--he didn't crack any jokes and was barely present. I had dietary restrictions that restricted me from eating fatty and fried things. Our waiter pointed out menu selections (in more of a condescending way) than a helpful way. For example he pointed out the steak and the fish. I know sirloin/strip steak and fish are lean, but sometimes restaurants serve hidden fats and prepare foods differently. Thankfully the chef was polite and helped me make a more firm decision. I had the vegetable curry which I thought was flavorful and delicious. My sister had the dumpling appetizer which she said was okay. Overall, I thought the experience was very mixed....I know you shouldn't base a bad experience on one person, but that server was just terrible. Had he been more flimsy or less organized (any other negative waiter trait), I could look past it. But his condescending attitude and lack of attention to our table is unforgettable. I still prefer to monorail hop to The Wave.

I'll add one more to the negative side. Our family of four did not enjoy it and won't be back. One DS and I ordered the Char Siu Pork--what we got was a plate of chewy, inedible fat. DH ordered the duck noodle bowl (whatever it's called) and said there was absolutely zero flavor to it. And he eats anything! Other DS has the mac and cheese and said it was edible, but that's about it. Desserts were fine, drinks were fine.

Our waitress was horrible. She couldn't wait to just get us out of there so she could turn the table over. Yes, we got some of the "shtick" but it was rushed and just sort of thrown out there. But the part that was disconcerting was how quickly she tried to move things along. As we're waiting for our entrees to be brought out, she brings us the dessert menu. As she checks in with us, right after the entrees were delivered, she asks for our dessert orders (which we said we weren't sure yet!). As soon as plates are cleared and dessert orders put in, not even brought out yet, she hands us the check. It was obvious she was just trying to hurry things along.

Just not a good experience and there are other better options for us!

We ate last October and we all thought it was great! Great menu, lots of good choices. We're going back in September.

I had the single best encounter with any cast member ever here. I was there alone (no one else in my family wanted to go) so I was looking around while my food was being prepared. My skipper noticed I was interested and we started talking about the history of the Jungle Cruse and the Adventurer's Club. He then took me on a tour of the entire place, showing me all the little details and hidden jokes and references to the AC, all while staying in character.

After the great tour I asked if there was any Skipper's Canteen merchandise available to buy. He told me there wasn't but would get me something. He comes back with a free dessert, and "Honorary Skipper" pin, a Canteen coaster signed by him with "Kungaloosh!" on it... and a golden FP to use anywhere on property! We took a picture together and I told him it was one of the best experiences I've ever had at Disney.
That is such a great story. Made my day. Looking forward to eating here for the first time on our next trip.

I like it and I'm taking my mom there in a few weeks. I enjoyed the ambiance and our waitress got in a few good puns but wasn't over-the-top. I had the fish collar which I'm not sure if they still have on the menu and it was delicious. My sister had the char-sui pork and loved it. It was a huge portion. I didn't love my side of rice but that was a personal preference. It wasn't bad. I'm looking forward to enjoying the meal with an adult beverage!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter