slo’s SATURDAY poll - Corrective Lenses

Corrective Lenses - What do you wear? (Multiple choice)

• Nothing

Votes: 7 6.3%
  • Single vision (near-sighted)

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Single vision (far-sighted)

Votes: 11 9.9%
  • Bifocals

Votes: 33 29.7%
  • Trifocals

Votes: 14 12.6%
  • Contacts (soft)

Votes: 38 34.2%
  • Contacts (hard)

Votes: 3 2.7%
  • I’m supposed to wear corrective lens but I don’t

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • I used to wear corrective lens, but no need now due to laser surgery

Votes: 8 7.2%
  • Other - please post your answer

Votes: 7 6.3%

• Total voters
I had a detached retina in one eye that they said 1% of people will develop a cataract. I was that person, so I have corrected vision in that eye but I still wear a soft contact lens in the other.

I wear multifocal contacts. Have worn glasses since I was 3, and contacts since about 16. Last few years, I've finally adjusted to the multifocal contacts. (strenths are 2.00 and 2.75) Because I'm SUCH a cheapskate, I haven't bought actual glasses in many years. When not wearing contacts, which is usually just morning/late night, I wear readers, but with 2 difft eye strengths, those are NOT really what I should be doing....promised my eye dr. I'd get glasses this year, and I will. Not sure if I'll still need bifocals.

Single vision with prisim. When I asked my eye doctor about contacts over 10 years ago, he said it wasn't really an option for my prescription. But at this point, I've been wearing glasses full time since I was 4. So I don't see a reason to change now.

Been wearing contacts for distance for close to 40 years. The last 5 years or so I’ve been only wearing one. My left eye is much worse than my right so I wear the corrective lens in the left. Leaving out the right one allows me to use that one for reading/phone use without using bifocals or readers. My eye doctor says it is common but I don’t know anyone else who does that.

I got glasses in 7th grade and then contacts in 8th and have worn contacts ever since. I recently switched to dailies, which are so nice - more expensive, but worth the price.

Single vision nearsighted and separate reading glasses. I get dizzy with bifocals.

I wear progressives and love them. For example, when I work in my kitchen I see from every distance. Up close (computer), mid range (opening cupboards) and distance (looking out the window to the outside).

It takes some work to get the prescription correct and the lenses balanced in the right way. My eye doc is great at making sure I’m happy. She’s so patient.

I wear a combination of eye correction. For computer work I need the 'middle' correction so I either use mono-vision contacts or progressive/tri-focal glasses. The rest of the time I use single vision glasses or contact lenses. Wearing mono-vision contact lenses for distance activity, like movies or theater, can cause me eye strain. I use the gas permeable/rigid contact lenses because they help hold the shape of my eyes. I do have to insure I wear my lenses 50% of the time or my eyes worsen and I can tell because my vision becomes fuzzy with my glasses. I do have a variety of glasses because I leave them all over the house mainly because I like to read or do 'close' work without glasses because I can see the best up close with my naked eyes. But, I inevitably need to see something far so it's nice to have a 'distance' pair.

Progressives. Worn glasses since about age 11, and I'm 64. Did wear contacts for about a decade in my 20's and 30's and again briefly in my 40's. But when our son was born he brought home and shared so many colds and upper respiratory infections that I just gave up. My Eye Doctor was very big on not wearing contacts when you had a cold, so I didn't.
Funny thing is, last money my current eye doctor tried to talk me into contacts again. Some sort of soft lens you wear for a month and toss. There are almost limitless kinds now. Back in 1977 when I got my first set, the choices were hard or soft.

Started wearing glasses when I was five. My vision kept changing for the better, and there was a time from high-school through my mid 30s where I didn't need glasses at all. Now my vision has "swung the other way" and I need glasses again. I have progressives now. I have never tried contacts. When I was young, they said I wasn't a good candidate because I have astigmatism. I think contacts have come a long way, so it's now doable, but... eh... I just deal with glasses.

I need corrective lenses (glasses) to see in the distance. I wear them to drive, watch tv, and generally for situations where I NEED to see. If I am sitting around where I only need to see just a few feet from me, I will not wear glasses. It seems like usually I just wear them on top of my head. :rotfl2:

I used to wear contacts, I am just over them. They are uncomfortable, and when I wore them in the past I got to where I needed "cheaters" to see anything up close.

I’ve worn soft contacts since I was 14. I also have no line bifocal glasses, but only wear my glasses in the morning and before bed.

I wear progressive bifocals, since I was 40 so 24 years now. Not really happy with the last few pair, sometimes it takes 2-4 tries to get them half way right. It seems like the good sight sweet spot is very small. I hate having to get new ones. I faithfully have my eyes checked once a year though since I’m diabetic.
When I first got progressives about 5 or 6 years ago, very small frames were still the fashion. I had a dickens of a time with the near-vision zone being so small. Blessedly, trendy frames are now much larger and it makes a big (no pun intended) difference in the size of the zones.
...I have to tilt my head very far back to get a good spot for seeing the computer. It gets uncomfortable very quickly at that angle and I have to move my entire head back and forth to read because that sweet spot is in the middle of the lowest portion of the frame and if I glance to either side, like you do when reading, it's blurry. It's so low that the lower curve of the frame limits my field of vision. Also, I tend to use a finger to push the frame up higher than just sitting on my nose in order to see through the sweet spot and not get a neck ache. I don't think this is a problem with me getting used to them, but some kind of problem with the lenses. In which case, I really need to get myself in there with the glasses and have them look at them. Otherwise, I have wasted almost $500!
That is really the worst; I've been there. Consider a pair of computer bi-focals. They only have the mid and near zones and the zones are much bigger than with three-zone progressives. They're less expensive than progressives and they are life-saving for me at work. It is a bit of a pain having to switch back-and-forth between pairs when I need to get up from my desk or take a meeting but it's a small price to pay. I'll never be without them.
Single vision with prisim. When I asked my eye doctor about contacts over 10 years ago, he said it wasn't really an option for my prescription. But at this point, I've been wearing glasses full time since I was 4. So I don't see a reason to change now.
My eye surgery was medically necessary and there was a chance it would have corrected my vision to the point where I wouldn't need glasses anymore. It didn't. While I don't love my current state, I'm not heartbroken about still having to wear glasses - I don't really look or feel like myself without them. :goodvibes
I wear progressives and love them. For example, when I work in my kitchen I see from every distance. Up close (computer), mid range (opening cupboards) and distance (looking out the window to the outside).

It takes some work to get the prescription correct and the lenses balanced in the right way. My eye doc is great at making sure I’m happy. She’s so patient.
:thumbsup2My ophthalmologist is far-and-away the most diligent and caring health professional I've ever had. I only wish she could do something besides eyes. :laughing:

I'm nearsighted with astigmatism. I wear single vision glasses or soft contacts. Contacts work better with my required goggles at work right now, but I hate touching my eyes and the whole process of putting contacts in and taking them out, so it just depends on the day. I'm at the age where my vision should be stabilizing or changing in the other direction, but my eyes seem to have not received the message and continue to become more nearsighted every year.

I have no-line bifocals which I wear when I'm not on the computer, and regular corrective lenses for the rest of the time. Honestly, I wear my computer glasses more than the regular ones. I can't see the screen with my bifocals on. My eyes are very bad and I have a very strong prescription- I'm not a candidate for corrective surgery because I have so much astigmatism I'd still need pretty strong glasses. So I won't bother.
can you tell me the manufacturer of "no line bifocals"? im having a hard time finding info on them.thx

Glasses for distance in 3rd grade. At 30 I went with contacts, never thought I could stick anything in my eye, and at the appointment, the hour and a half trying to get it in my eye confirmed. I don't even need a mirror now.

Age related needing reading glasses when I have my contacts in. With glasses, I could just lift them up. Can't do that with contacts so I carry reading glasses around with me. I have cheap ones everywhere at work (as long as Mr. Safety isn't around since they aren't safety glasses) and all over the house, at my mother's, in my car, even at my ex wife's house where the kids are.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter