So... I feel like I owe you guys a bit of an explanation. Maybe not, but anyways...

sayhello

Have Camera, Will Travel
So... As the title says, I feel like I owe you guys a bit of an explanation. When my Portugal ABD got cancelled, a day and a half after I finally purchased my airfare that I'd agonized over and which, like most airfare these days, *wasn't* cheap, I was pretty pissed at ABD. I didn't feel like they'd handled things well, they were causing me to lose or tie up a considerable amount of money, and they weren't being very forthcoming about why my trip was cancelled. I was pissed and exhausted, there wasn't a good alternative Portugal trip for me to switch to, and, honestly, I just didn't want to think about them anymore, so I asked for a refund (which ABD *did* process very quickly).

So... You can probably see where this is going.

Right after I posted that I was NOT re-booking an ABD for 2023, and wasn't sure what I was going to do for 2024, and was going to take a "wait and see" attitude for that, I got DM'd by @WeLoveABD lamenting the fact that I did not have an ABD scheduled for 2023, and very sweetly inviting me to join he and his wife and 2 other couples on their March 2023 New Zealand ABD. ❤️ ❤️ ❤️ I told him I'd already asked for a refund for my Portugal trip and it was on it's way, so I'd lost any benefit I'd've gotten from re-booking (protected pricing on the new trip, where I'd get the price that the trip cost when I booked Portugal back in May). And I wasn't sure I could afford it, and the airfare was horrific, etc, etc. So I told him I would think about it, and pretty much decided I was *NOT* going to do it.

But I couldn't stop thinking about it. New Zealand has been high on my bucket list since I saw "Fellowship of the Ring" in 2002. I follow Adventure Guide Kira on Instagram, and she was posting *amazing* stuff (and is supposedly going to be doing the March ABD). And *then* @Grifdog22 and @Mathmagicland started posting about their fabulous trip. That, coupled with the really amazing idea of getting to meet and travel with @WeLoveABD and his lovely wife (and their friends) in real life, was just more than I could take. And to top it off, the husband of a very good friend of mine was hit by a car while crossing the street in a crosswalk (he survived, but 2 major surgeries and 1 to go later, he's still considered critical but stable). That definitely put me in a "Just take the damned trip" state of mind.

So, despite my protests to the contrary, I have signed up for this New Zealand ABD in March 2023! My amazing Travel Agent managed to talk ABD into honoring the price protection even though I'd already gotten my refund, so I got the trip for what it cost last May. The first thing I did once it was official was book a tour to Hobbiton!! :lovestruc

I *just* booked the airfare, because there aren't a lot of options out there yet, and Premium Economy on the only good return flight was almost sold out (only 2 seats left). I was able to use the credit from my Portugal airfare for a part of the trip (SO glad not to have to deal with that anymore, what a nightmare!). I had found flying from Columbus to San Francisco, spending the night, then flying SFO to NZ was WAY cheaper than one ticket from Columbus to NZ, so I used the United credit for the Columbus to SFO part. But I'll tell you, I had a serious freakout when it came time to hit "Purchase" on the airfare! Like *serious* freakout! I ended up chatting with @preedymtnwest and another good friend to calm myself down and work up the nerve to actually purchase the airfare. I think the feeling that I really needed to purchase it sooner rather than later because of the tiny availability did not help things. But they finally talked me through it (Thanks!!) and I bought it. Fingers and toes seriously crossed now!

Booking so close to the trip is SO not my normal modus operandi! But it does have the advantage of less time to worry and freak out about various scenarios! Airfare is taken care of, now all I have to do is figure out what to do on pre-/post-days (except the one where I'm GOING TO HOBBITON!)

Well, if you're still reading, :upsidedow Thanks!

Carry on!

Sayhello

Last edited:
How exciting! Glad you decided to take the leap...I understand the "seize the day" prompting. And you don't have long to wait to travel!

You are going to love New Zealand! I have friends in the South Island and have been to visit twice, and I will absolutely go back. It's definitely a long, expensive flight, but it's very worth it.

How exciting! Glad you decided to take the leap...I understand the "seize the day" prompting. And you don't have long to wait to travel!
Thank you! Yes, I think in this case, not having to wait a long time to travel is a very good thing!

You are going to love New Zealand! I have friends in the South Island and have been to visit twice, and I will absolutely go back. It's definitely a long, expensive flight, but it's very worth it.
Thanks! I think it will be worth it, too!

Sayhello

Just saw an article that Hobbiton are doing a competition to win one of 3 two night stays inside a hobbit hole with Airbnb in March. Could be perfect timing for your trip!

So excited for you! No explanation was necessary but I am SO thrilled for you and this happy ending:yay:New Zealand is gorgeous and I'm thrilled you'll be able to experience it🙂

No explanation necessary, of course! That said I believe you are in for a treat, and this is a great trip with nice company to change your mind on, for what that is worth!

I myself gave in to the siren call of the Joe Rohde Arctic voyage and similarly went back on my grumpiness... if that trip goes well, I'll still be mad at them for certain things but maybe not AS grumpy! :)

Just saw an article that Hobbiton are doing a competition to win one of 3 two night stays inside a hobbit hole with Airbnb in March. Could be perfect timing for your trip!
I had to look this up - @Grifdog22, DW, and I saw them working on this structure (a house along the river on the property) during our tour!

YES YES YES you made the right decision for ALL of the reasons that you listed. But you left a couple out. This is a fabulous trip! And it's still in the first year, before they cut things out. And the people, the scenery, the food, the activities (and the exchange rate) are well kept secrets that you need to explore! Eden still exists...but it's in a little country called New Zealand. So happy for you.

I *just* booked the airfare, because there aren't a lot of options out there yet, and Premium Economy on the only good return flight was almost sold out (only 2 seats left). I was able to use the credit from my Portugal airfare for a part of the trip (SO glad not to have to deal with that anymore, what a nightmare!). I had found flying from Columbus to San Francisco, spending the night, then flying SFO to NZ was WAY cheaper than one ticket from Columbus to NZ, so I used the United credit for the Columbus to SFO part.
So happy for you, that you found this for your flights! Sometimes pricing is crazy like this.

Which March trip are you booked on? My husband and I were booked in February on a trip with ABD to New Zealand that was cancelled but we were not properly notified. I was quite upset about the lack of notification and losing the great airline seats we had with points. Luckily my husband was able to change his vacation and I had some time to get over my initial irritation about how the cancellation was mishandled. We are on the March 13th trip and will be staying one post day to go to Milford Sound. Would be great to meet you after reading so many of your trip reports.

This is a fabulous trip! And it's still in the first year, before they cut things out.

That's a good reason to do the NZ trip soon. The 2021/2022/2023 itineraries are almost identical, but who knows what ABD will change after the initial 2022-2023 groups finish? I was scheduled on a 2020 ABD Japan trip, which was cancelled. The Japan itinerary has been cut and modified substantially since the inaugural trips.

Great to hear you get to do the ABD NZ trip in a few months!

I saw an article that they were doing the hobbit hole as an AirBnB, but no detail, and did not see anything about a competition! Staying in a hobbit hole in Hobbiton would be AMAZING!! Of course, I'm sure I'll be one of thousands and thousands trying for it, but you just never know!!

So beyond happy for you!! Maybe Portugal was just not meant to be.

Kira is an excellent guide (she was one of our guides on our Greece ABD). New Zealand is one of the most beautiful countries I have ever seen! You are going to love it and won't regret your decision for one minute.
I kind of wonder if there's some reason I just wasn't meant to go to Portugal next year. Who knows? But I *AM* very happy about going to New Zealand!!

So excited for you! No explanation was necessary but I am SO thrilled for you and this happy ending:yay:New Zealand is gorgeous and I'm thrilled you'll be able to experience it🙂
Thanks. :) I am REALLY looking forward to it!

No explanation necessary, of course! That said I believe you are in for a treat, and this is a great trip with nice company to change your mind on, for what that is worth!

I myself gave in to the siren call of the Joe Rohde Arctic voyage and similarly went back on my grumpiness... if that trip goes well, I'll still be mad at them for certain things but maybe not AS grumpy! :)
I definitely feel that doing the trip with WeLoveABD and his wife & friends is a *good* thing!

The Joe Rohde trip! Oh, my! It should be wonderful!

I had to look this up - @Grifdog22, DW, and I saw them working on this structure (a house along the river on the property) during our tour!
How cool!!!

YES YES YES you made the right decision for ALL of the reasons that you listed. But you left a couple out. This is a fabulous trip! And it's still in the first year, before they cut things out. And the people, the scenery, the food, the activities (and the exchange rate) are well kept secrets that you need to explore! Eden still exists...but it's in a little country called New Zealand. So happy for you.
Thanks, Grifdog22! It just was the right trip at the right time with the right people. Still not happy with ABD, but this trip will probably go a long way to fixing that...

So happy for you, that you found this for your flights! Sometimes pricing is crazy like this.
It was so insane. When it came down to it, there was really only one set of flights that made sense. I pray they don't get changed a bunch!

Which March trip are you booked on? My husband and I were booked in February on a trip with ABD to New Zealand that was cancelled but we were not properly notified. I was quite upset about the lack of notification and losing the great airline seats we had with points. Luckily my husband was able to change his vacation and I had some time to get over my initial irritation about how the cancellation was mishandled. We are on the March 13th trip and will be staying one post day to go to Milford Sound. Would be great to meet you after reading so many of your trip reports.
We are doing the March 13th trip! Cool! Looking forward to meeting you! So sorry your trip got cancelled. I had heard that one of the February trips got cancelled. I was notified my trip was cancelled via a direct email, which is totally the wrong way, as I booked through a Travel Agent. It was very impersonal. I'm sorry they messed your trip up. I hope they compensated you for your great airline seats!

I'm looking at doing Milford Sound for my post-day also!

That's a good reason to do the NZ trip soon. The 2021/2022/2023 itineraries are almost identical, but who knows what ABD will change after the initial 2022-2023 groups finish? I was scheduled on a 2020 ABD Japan trip, which was cancelled. The Japan itinerary has been cut and modified substantially since the inaugural trips.

Great to hear you get to do the ABD NZ trip in a few months!
Yes, this is so true of how ABD handles things. I am SO glad, for so many reasons, that I was able to do the Japan trip that first year in 2019. And that I did the Scotland trip before they eviscerated it. I used to skip first years so they could "work out the kinks" first, but anymore, "work out the kinks" means removing half the good stuff.

Sayhello

@sayhello I'm so glad you're feeling better about things and heading to NZ! Hobbiton sounds amazing!

Hoping you still get to Portugal though. Maybe you and I are destined to finally meet in person on that trip in 2024? I'm probably doing that trip then.

@sayhello I'm so glad you're feeling better about things and heading to NZ! Hobbiton sounds amazing!

Hoping you still get to Portugal though. Maybe you and I are destined to finally meet in person on that trip in 2024? I'm probably doing that trip then.
Thanks! I'm not even starting to think about 2024 yet, but who knows? It's possible! :)

Sayhello

Totally understandable and New Zealand would be one to tempt me from my no ABD stance as well. I'm sure you will have a fabulous time and I'm already looking forward to the trip report.

How awesome would that be?? I bet you could ask any amount of money and people would pay. LOL. Not at all surprised it sold out.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter