So if DCL DOES go to the Mediterranean, who's going?!

inkkognito

<font color=green>I shall call him Mini-Me<br><fon
I am so excited about the possibility of the repositioning of a ship to the Mediterranean, and especially if it happens in 2004. Although all our vacation time is spoken for in 2003, that year is still mostly open. If this really happens, we will be jumping on the bandwagon as soon they open the bookings (I'd be doing it PURELY for research purposes for my website, of course :D ). Conveniently, we will have passports by then because we have to get them by the end of 2003 for our African safari. I am hoping they will be cruising there over either Memorial Day or 4th of July so we can maximize our vacation days. Hard to imagine, but we'll have done at least 35 Disney cruises by then, God willing. Anyone else positively planning on doing the Mediterranean if it happens? It would be so cool to have lots of DISers on board. I know that it's not even a certainty (goodness even knows if it's really a possibility) yet, but it's never too early to plan and Disney dream. :D :D D
So let's hear from other future Mediterranean cruisers!
Barb
Visit the Platinum Castaway Club at: www.castawayclub.com

If you've done 35 Disney cruises, then you should have your ticket fully punched and be eligible for the "free" cruise. Disney should be asking you to be a cruise guide.

We have our passports and would adore cruising with Disney to the Mediterranean!! Crossing fingers and keeping an eye on the world situation too. It would be an absolutely wonderful way to see Europe..from the sea and those marvelous ports of call! :)

Well we'll be the spoilsports and say NO, not going to happen for us. Way too far to fly with a kid and when we spend the money to do Europe with her (probably when she's 12 or so) we want to visit many more of the cities and not cruise. I can definitely see the appeal for adults and those with older teens but for families with younger kids (especially those from the West Coast who would have 11-12 hour flights to Europe) it's just not in the cards.

It's only 8 hours to Europe from the East Coast, but I agree with Michelle. A cruise is not how I want to see Europe. Cruise excursions only allow you to scratch the surface of any destination. I want to visit places more in-depth, and not just coastal communities.

We have looked into a Princess cruise of the Med for 2005 but I would be willing to move it up a year if it was DCL. Just need to start saving the pennies! And I know the DISers in Europe would love to be able to cruise DCL from their side of the "pond" for a change. Count us (tentatively) in.

Deb:Pinkbounc :bounce: :Pinkbounc

I would love to do it but am a bit shocked with the proposed price. If you add in airfare to Europe I could do several caribbean cruises for what this would cost. I think it was like double the cost if I recall, then add in airfare of about 1000 per person I could do a back to back eastern and western. I will have to wait and see what the real figures come in.

Count us in for sure!!! DH has always wanted to go to Spain - but in January!!! Thankfully one of us has a little more common sense! But summer?? You bet!! I am all for it. And the proposed itinerary sounds super! Years ago we took our first cruise in the Caribbean just to see a large number of ports and see which ones we were interested in spending more time visiting. It was a great way to get an 'overview' of a number of places. Then the following years we went back and spent days/week in our favorites. The European cruise would fill that bill perfectly! Hopefully the stock market recovers by then and we are healthy enough to do this! Keeping my fingers crossed! Starting to save right now!!

Although I would love to cruise Disney in the Med, I wasn't too hip on some of the places they were contemplating going (France for instance). If I was going to Europe, I think I would focus more on Italy and Greece, then skip on over to Scotland and Ireland. Other than that, I wouldn't spend the time (flying from CO is a looong flight), or the money!

Lisa

DEFINITELY COUNT US IN!!!

DH's parents and oldest sister (along with other family members) live in Portugal (Acores) so we are going to visit them. I have never been to Europe so I told DH that when we go visit we are taking a looooong vacation and are going to 'tour' different countries in Europe just to get a feel for them.

Since this has come up to be a rumor - this would be the PERFECT way to do both - visit DH parents and sail DCL to a few countries we would like to visit. Italy has always been a country I have wanted to go to for the history and achitecture and of course my ancestry.

We will be there with ya!!

Lisa

I would have to give a thumbs down on this cruise.

The Med cruise sounds great. I've been dreaming about going to Italy to research ancestors, but the flight over *water* keeps me grounded. I'd have to cruise from the US to the Mediterranean and back. Unlikely to happen with DCL. I'll just keep dreaming.:(

We won't be joining the mediteranean cruise due to cost and also wanting to visit more of France besides the ports, as was said earlier. I'm sure the ports of call are very beautiful, but I need to see Disneyland Paris and the Eiffell Tower if I'm going that far.

Tina :)

When we take our children to Europe, we are certainly going to spend more than a week visiting, and definately more than 12 hours in an given city. For a trip that large, a group excursion to one point of interest couldn't do justice to the treasures that are to be seen. I'll stick with Disney for Caribbean fun, but for Europe, it won't be on a boat.

it is education to the kids who going on the cruise and could be expense

A definite YES from our family - easier for us since we're already Europe-based. But for sure, only if there are spring/fall cruise dates - summer is TOO HOT.

Just a quick note for those commenting that time in ports wouldn't be enough: the cruise would only be a week, so easily leaves a week for extra exploring - Barcelona isn't such a bad jump off point. Also, we took a honeymoon cruise in the South China Seas (Hong Kong to Bombay) and really enjoyed "dipping" into the culture of six different countries in 11 days. It was wonderful and let us cover a lot of ground in a short time and in great comfort! It really whets the appetite for return visits.

We want to do a Mediterannean cruise for our honeymoon, and we're getting married in 2004, so it's perfect! The only thing is that we wanted to get married in the fall, not the summer. Anyway, if the dates don't work out, we'll just have to get married in the summer to accomodate Disney! How bad is that?

Count us in!! We would definately be doing it all 9 of us!

Nope.
I've travelled throughout most of Europe & 1 day port stops just aren't enough & if we took a 2 week trip, we'd spend at least 2 days in each city, not cruise & then revisit. The Kodak commercial with the 70MPH tour guide keeps popping into my head when I think about it!
Airfare across the Atlantic is fairly reasonable right now but check some of those hotel rates!

I think we would pass.

I still don't understand the logic of a DCL cruise in the Mediterranean. I just don't feel the demand will be there.

Also, not to dwell on bad things, but I am the only one who thinks that a Disney cruise ship in the Mediterranean is just one big, giant terrorist target?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter