So if DCL DOES go to the Mediterranean, who's going?!

The Med cruise sounds wonderful and at another time we would definitely consider going. However, summer 2004 will find us with a 1 year old, a 4 year old and an 18 year old. In my opinion, not an ideal group for a European cruise. I just don't see really enjoying the ports of call with 2 small children (strollers and all) and the flights over would be horrendous in both time and expense for us.

We are beyond disappointed at the possible timing of this as we have been planning our 10th wedding anniversary and oldest dd's HS graduation cruise for that summer for some time. Unfortunately, the 3 and 4 day cruises (even one after the other) hold no appeal to us and there are no other cruise lines that offer comparable infant care to DCL. So, if the Med cruise comes to fruition for the summer of 2004 I guess it will be no cruising for us :(

I am excited for the others for whom this will be a great option but cannot help but be very sad for our family who has been eagerly anticipating this cruise for several years.

We would be going for sure. 2004 is our 20th anniversary year and our DD 13th birthday so we were planning a trip to London and Paris. If they do the cruise then we will just shorten the London/Paris part and add the cruise at the end. I think it sounds fantastic!!

Our family would probably pass. When we go, I would want to get in depth experience and we really wouldn't be able to do that on a cruise.

We will pass. The cost is just too high. We were planning on a cruise of the Med. when we turned 50 and when we found out the cost we decided to forget it. It was expensive on all cruiselines. I could go on three caribbean cruises for what one to the Med. would cost. Those three would be in a suite! The price quotes were for only my husband and myself, no children. I really can't picture families with young children from the US filling the Med. cruise, the long flight and the cost will stop them. The ports would be great but the price and long flight, well, we will pass. Kathy

I don't know what to say, the mixed responses are incredible!

There are so many people who have come up with lovely positive responses, especially one person who said that they would love to see Scotland (being very bias personally). The negative ones have definitely got my back up !!!

We are a normal working family and work damned hard "every year" to save hard to go the US for our annual DVC vacations to WDW. I was quite appauled to see people complaining about the costs of airfares to fly across the big pond.

We live in the North of Scotland, it takes us a 7 hour drive to the largest available airport, a 4 hour wait at the airport and then a 10 hour flight, but "hey" we're not complaining - you are worth every minute of the long haul.

We scrape every year to do what most british people call "a holiday of a lifetime" and friend and family at home think we are mad paying all that money "just to go to disney".

We have lived with terriorism in the UK for as long as I can remember, and being a forces wife, I remember having to check my car with the special equipment to check for bombs planted by the IRA, before I could put my baby into her car seat to set off, and someone putting a post in saying that a DCL ship being the Med was like a huge target really hit a nerve.

I, amongst millions of others, was shocked and stunned at 9/11. When the towers fell, my husband was in Saudi Arabia, serving on a US military base not 20 miles from where the Bin Laden family home was. Now I would say that maybe that was more of a target and I said my prayers every night my husband spent there for 4 months working with the US military.

To get off my soap box for just one minute, the cost of airfares for UK citizens have gone through the roof since 9/11 - we used to be $616 each for a flight and now have to pay $1155 each now in special "insurances" which have been added to flights going to the US.

Europe is beautiful. I have been to Italy, Spain, France, etc and they are all beautiful. They do not hold my heart like Disney does !!!! That is why we bought DVC and go there every year. Likewise, I think you should give us Europeans a chance.

P.S. Disneyland Paris will be such a disappointment and waste of points compared to the real thing !!! Take my word for it.

Mary
wife of

I was the one that said I would love to go to Scotland!:)
My mother and father were just there last year and LOVED it! Of course, my husband is partial to go because his family is there. I believe they are one of the biggest "clans"...MacDonald. So we would love to see the "homeland" and to show our son where his roots are! I think a lot of Americans forget that we too, don't always originate on this side of the pond!:)
I appreciate what you had to say, and I am glad your husband is ok.

Lisa

Originally posted by StephenKay
Europe is beautiful. I have been to Italy, Spain, France, etc and they are all beautiful. They do not hold my heart like Disney does !!!! That is why we bought DVC and go there every year. Likewise, I think you should give us Europeans a chance.

This is the reason we will NOT cruise in the Med - there just wouldn't be enough time in each port to appreciate them. Now, to cruise the Med with 2 (or more!) days in each port, that would be different!

I can't remember if I put it in my post or not, but Scotland is part of the itinerary planned when I come to Europe in 2007 with my Girl Scout troop. :D

Deb

Not me. I have no plans to ever visit Europe. If I could cruise to Europe form New York and never have to touch an airplane for that long journey, I'd reconsider. (A transatlantic flight with a 4 year old doesn't make me jump for joy, lol.)

We live in the UK, so we are considering going but, the cash price and and DVC points needed both seem high - especially the children's prices. But, the cruise does sound great and we can get cheap flights to Spain from here.

If we can afford it we will definitely be doing this cruise. I think we would stay a week in an apartment in Spain beforehand though.

Many of you seem concerned about the ship being a target for terrorists. Nobody really knows where they will strike and I really think you have to stop worrying and get on with your life. If you continuously avoid places you think they might blow up you are letting them control you.

What are the kids prices and the points? I haven't seen them listed anywhere. Do you have them to post on this board?
Thanks!
Debra

Originally posted by Melrosgirl
Not me. I have no plans to ever visit Europe. If I could cruise to Europe form New York and never have to touch an airplane for that long journey, I'd reconsider. (A transatlantic flight with a 4 year old doesn't make me jump for joy, lol.)

It's not that far, really. We've done it with our DD8 a couple of times, the first time she was under a year old, and since the flight over is at night, she has slept all the way. If you would go to California, it's not much different! In fact, we are going to London for a long weekend in January! It was cheaper to go there than to Florida! A lot of the trans-A flights offer in-seat entertainment, including Nintendo games, kids movies, etc... It's very cool.

If anything would stop me from taking a DCL cruise in the Med, it's that it would be too American. What's the point of going over there if not to fully experience what the countries have to offer? For the same reason, I probably would not go to Euro Disney, although I have heard that they have worked hard to make the experience more European. I love all things Disney and we go to the World more often than I usually admit ;) but despite my desperate desire to cruise the Med, I would probably do it with a European line.

Here is a silly thought - I wonder if they would make available the cruise across the Atlantic when (if) the ship is repositioned?

Often other cruise lines offer special cruises when ship are repositioned. Many do the Panaman Canal when ships change coasts.

Barb, I know how you love your days at sea - imagine a cruise across the Atlantic followed by a Med cruise! Better REALLY start saving!

Since Disney is now letting you book cruises through December of 2004, does this mean the Mediterranean is not happening????

You can only book the 3 of 4 day cruises from April-Dec. 2004. They don't have a 7 day cruise schedule out. They are also putting the Wonder in dry dock for 2 weeks in September....right during my twin's birthday! Now we are waiting to see what happens with the 7 day. We wanted to take them on the cruise for their birthday then. We would go before or after, but it is just not the same :( .

I hope they make some decisions soon so we know. DH suggested that we try a RC cruise that year is Disney doesn't offer the 7 day on their birthday. We heard they have a ship with an ice skating rink. I guess that would be nice since our girls love ice skating. It just wouldn't be Disney though.......but I suppose it is good to try something new once in a while (but we would all prefer to go on Disney).

Debra

Originally posted by Melrosgirl

Er, you can. It's called the QE2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter