Soda Stream Thoughts

amalone1013

DIS Veteran
DH decided the other night he'd like a Soda Stream...

I know very little about them, as I don't drink anything carbonated. So I'm wondering what anyone thinks of their's? Or maybe if someone knows a way to try one... or do some sort of taste test with flavored water from the store before committing? I have no idea if that'd be similar or not :)

We got one when they first came out. We used it for awhile, and now it just collects dust on top of the microwave. Soda is so cheap it’s just easier to buy it.

DH decided the other night he'd like a Soda Stream...

I know very little about them, as I don't drink anything carbonated. So I'm wondering what anyone thinks of their's? Or maybe if someone knows a way to try one... or do some sort of taste test with flavored water from the store before committing? I have no idea if that'd be similar or not :)

I bought one from HSN or QVC, used it for a bit, and returned it. I didn't think the drink got carbonated enough. Either one of those places will usually allow you to test for 30 days.

I bought one a couple years ago, used for about 6 months and now it is packed away in the garage waiting for the next Goodwill run.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I found one on sale for $50, but I hate to spend that if it's just going to become a dust collector. DH is trying to find something fizzy and flavored without as much sugar. I'm going to get him to try some flavored drinks at the store first.

I got one for Christmas. I want to love it but .. meh. I find it mildly annoying to pull out every time I want to use it and it's not something we use often enough to sit on the counter. I don't want the sugary syrupy drinks, or any artificial sweetners. I do like the flavoured carbonated water quite a bit, but I can buy it cheaper at the store when I feel like. Overall, not something I would purchase again.

I got one for Christmas. I want to love it but .. meh. I find it mildly annoying to pull out every time I want to use it and it's not something we use often enough to sit on the counter. I don't want the sugary syrupy drinks, or any artificial sweetners. I do like the flavoured carbonated water quite a bit, but I can buy it cheaper at the store when I feel like. Overall, not something I would purchase again.
That's another thing... one more appliance to sit/store! That's half the reason I bought an instapot :laughing:

I don't have one, but I've noticed that whenever I visit a friend's house that has one, it's just sitting collecting dust. All the more reason I'm thankful I never bought one :D

We add club soda to chunks of fruit or fruit juices. I think the flavored sparkling waters taste very artificial.

Waste of money. Those cartridges aren't cheap and it's a pain having to always get new ones. We buy Pellegrino in large bottles by the case at Costco. It's FAR cheaper than soda stream and the bottles are recyclable so it's a no brainer. We don't drink soda really. Just an occasional diet Coke.

Thanks for the responses everyone. I found one on sale for $50, but I hate to spend that if it's just going to become a dust collector. DH is trying to find something fizzy and flavored without as much sugar. I'm going to get him to try some flavored drinks at the store first.

That is why I bought it but I just drink la croix sparkling water now. They have tons of flavors, no sugar or artificial sweeteners in them. They satisfy the craving for something fizzy for me.

My sister bought one, but I buy big packs of seltzer water from BJs. Occasionally, I'll mix the syrup into a bottle of that.

Dust collector. If your DH wants to have less sugar in his drinks, you can still by the flavors and add it to seltzer. I just bought 12 bottles for $4.

I love flavored seltzer with a splash of juice. He may like that.

Waste of money. Those cartridges aren't cheap and it's a pain having to always get new ones. We buy Pellegrino in large bottles by the case at Costco. It's FAR cheaper than soda stream and the bottles are recyclable so it's a no brainer. We don't drink soda really. Just an occasional diet Coke.

I love my soda stream, but it is simply not convenient to get cartridges. When my DH worked at Bed Bath & Beyond, I used it all the time. Now it's a dust collector

Loved owning it as I have all kinds of creative recipes for it.
Downside - carbonation negatively affects acid reflux which now both DH and I take meds for, so it now collects dust :(

I don't use mine as often as I thought I would. I to do use it like once a month. It was a christmas gift, so no "money waste" on my end. The cartridges do get expensive. Thankfully I only use one about once a year.

My husband loves his. He bought it second hand 5 yrs ago. He uses soda stream's natural flavor essences, essentially making his own la Croix. He has three cartridges (2 were presents) and we use our 20% off Bed Bath & Beyond cartridges on refills. It works out for us because my DH has a serious carbonated beverage addiction--he could easily drink a 12 pack of pop a day. With the soda stream he seems to alternate between unflavored water and the flavors, plus he is super hard to buy presents for so soda stream accessories/flavors are a nice go to for holidays.

I like my soda stream. I need carbonation sometimes to clear my throat. It has helped me cut down to less than one soda a week.

Don't like the soda stream flavors, but will add fruit to my water or lemon juice

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter