• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Solo: A Star Wars Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
Despite my misgivings on this one, forecasts are calling for $170 million plus for a 4 day opening weekend. That would be bigger than Rogue One or GotG2, but obviously nowhere near the mainline trilogy or the 2 big Marvel releases so far this year. Still, if Solo runs in the neighborhood of Rogue One or better, Lucasfilm and Disney should be pleased. I'm guessing the opening weekend may be good, but the ability to match Rogue One will be dependent on the buzz from those opening weekend audiences creating some staying power in a crowded calendar

Despite my misgivings on this one, forecasts are calling for $170 million plus for a 4 day opening weekend. That would be bigger than Rogue One or GotG2, but obviously nowhere near the mainline trilogy or the 2 big Marvel releases so far this year. Still, if Solo runs in the neighborhood of Rogue One or better, Lucasfilm and Disney should be pleased. I'm guessing the opening weekend may be good, but the ability to match Rogue One will be dependent on the buzz from those opening weekend audiences creating some staying power in a crowded calendar

Solo with the name and star wars marking is guaranteed to have a good opening weekend.

What the week 2 drop is is going to be the number to watch

I think from the title, people may have a better idea of what the film is about as apposed to Rogue One (my favourite) hope it does well just so that Lucasfilm doesn't move away from the Star Wars story films

I think from the title, people may have a better idea of what the film is about as apposed to Rogue One (my favourite) hope it does well just so that Lucasfilm doesn't move away from the Star Wars story films

I don't think that will happen. I think we are almost guaranteed obi-wan and boba fett and probably yoda too in standalone stories.

I have gone to the midnight shows for all the prequels and the 7 pm preview for TFA. I didn’t get opening night tix for rogue one thinking it would be meh since it was not a trilogy film and then scrambled around the next day trying to get decent seats to see it as good reviews came in from friends. Loved Rogue one. Then TLJ came out and I sat there at the first viewing bummed. However, I’m the optimist and will get opening tix for Solo. Hoping for a campy western feel fun movie and to finally see on screen how he ran that kessel run in less then 12 parsecs!

Edit to add I bought my tickets this (Friday “may the fourth”) morning for opening day.....hoping for the best.....

Last edited:

Surprised my SW loving DS with tickets for it. His reaction. Eh, really not interested in it, but thanks. I can cancel the tickets, so just have to see if that is what he wants. He really wants to see the Deadpool movie.

Ive made my skepticism on this film known, but I will say each trailer has intrigued me more and more

For me it’s the complete opposite. The more trailers I see, the more I’ve realized my fears were true.

The acting I have seen has been horrendous. The lead actor, yikes.

The scenes seem cool but the acting on the other hand does not.

I could be mistaken when I see it though.

I just think they completely miscast the entire movie, but esp the lead actor of Han

For me it’s the complete opposite. The more trailers I see, the more I’ve realized my fears were true.

The acting I have seen has been horrendous. The lead actor, yikes.

The scenes seem cool but the acting on the other hand does not.

I could be mistaken when I see it though.

I just think they completely miscast the entire movie, but esp the lead actor of Han
Yeah I’m not sure how I feel like this guy playing Han. He hasn’t blown me away but hasn’t scared me off either.

I think Donald Glover as Lando is gonna be good though

After The Last Jedi I'm a bit soured on Star Wars, I'll be waiting until Episode IX. I truly don't get the 150-170m opening though.

After The Last Jedi I'm a bit soured on Star Wars, I'll be waiting until Episode IX. I truly don't get the 150-170m opening though.

I share that feeling as well and maybe it's leading towards over saturation. I'm going to wait for the reviews for Solo before I invest in a theater ticket.

On a side note, I didn't expect Rogue One to be stellar, but it surprised me on everything I expected in Star Wars movie.

Last edited:
I posted a thread earlier about Solo that violated the terms of service so I’ll make this vague.

There are a lot of YouTube channels hoping Solo will fail.

There is a twitter movement with a similar vein.

The opening weekend numbers may indeed look good. But it will be very interesting to see if this can gross $1B.

I posted a thread earlier about Solo that violated the terms of service so I’ll make this vague.

There are a lot of YouTube channels hoping Solo will fail.

There is a twitter movement with a similar vein.

The opening weekend numbers may indeed look good. But it will be very interesting to see if this can gross $1B.
I don't think the expectation is for this to make $1 billion. Rogue One didn't right?

I haven't seen anything about this twitter movement either so I am not sure it is very large at this point.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=#NotMyStarWars&lang=en

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=boycott solo&sm=1

If you go to YouTube and search “boycott” the first option is “boycott Solo”

https://www.google.com/amp/variety....rs-story-worldwide-box-office-1201966453/amp/

Rogue 1 surpassed $1 billion. $1 billion has become a base line for mega hits.

If Solo doesn’t surpass $1Billion it will be the first Star Wars to not be a box office mega hit.

Attack of the Clones got $600 million 15 years ago (so that’s probably over $1 billion today) and that was the worst performing up until now.

https://mobile.twitter.com/search?q=#NotMyStarWars&lang=en

https://m.youtube.com/results?q=boycott solo&sm=1

If you go to YouTube and search “boycott” the first option is “boycott Solo”

https://www.google.com/amp/variety....rs-story-worldwide-box-office-1201966453/amp/

Rogue 1 surpassed $1 billion. $1 billion has become a base line for mega hits.

If Solo doesn’t surpass $1Billion it will be the first Star Wars to not be a box office mega hit.

Attack of the Clones got $600 million 15 years ago (so that’s probably over $1 billion today) and that was the worst performing up until now.
So its a hashtag movement by a bunch of nobodies on Twitter. Not sure that will have a big effect on things.

I don't think the expectation is for this to make $1 billion. Rogue One didn't right?

I haven't seen anything about this twitter movement either so I am not sure it is very large at this point.

I'm all over Reddit and twitter and haven't seen much about hoping it fail. These are probably the same people who protested outside Warner Bros for the release of a "Snyder Cut" of Justice league... how did that work out?

I share that feeling as well and maybe it's leading towards over saturation. I'm going to wait for the reviews for Solo before I invest in a theater ticket.

On a side note, I didn't expect Rogue One to be stellar, but it surprised me on everything I expected in Star Wars movie.

Solo was never a favorite character of mine plus I've read some spoilers and some plot points seem pretty underwhelming. However, I had high hopes for Rouge One and it didn't disappoint, especially knowing Vader was in it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter