Solo Amtrak travel

Sounds interesting.

I have zero desire to sleep on a train at night. DH and I are looking to travel on the Rocky Mountaineer to be able to kick back and enjoy the sights all day, then rest and shower in a hotel at night before reboarding to continue travel. It's definitely on our plan in a few years when we'll be able to resume serious travel again.

Be aware that most long distance routes run at most once a day, and sometime not even once a day, so it's hard to avoid sleeping on the train. If you got off and wanted to continue on the same route, you would get back on at the same time the next day, so you wouldn't avoid an overnight on the train.

Be aware that most long distance routes run at most once a day, and sometime not even once a day, so it's hard to avoid sleeping on the train. If you got off and wanted to continue on the same route, you would get back on at the same time the next day, so you wouldn't avoid an overnight on the train.
The Rocky Mountaineer is mapped out for just this option, which is why it appeals for us. The route allows you to sit back and enjoy the scenery, often vistas you can only get on the train, and then you are stopped at a hotel for the night.

The Rocky Mountaineer is mapped out for just this option, which is why it appeals for us. The route allows you to sit back and enjoy the scenery, often vistas you can only get on the train, and then you are stopped at a hotel for the night.
You can also get on the Zephyr in Denver and just go through the Rockies. It gets to Denver about 7 am I think and we got off twice in Grand Junction around 4ish I think? But you can book your ticket to get off anywhere. The Rockies via Train was really incredible. Even through a train window. We've done it twice so far. Best view on any of the routes we have been on so far.
👍

Hands down the best part of that train ride is between Denver and Grand Junction. You’ll miss the best scenery if you get off in Denver.
Thank you!
The wedding is in Golden, so I have to get off in Denver if I decide on this grand adventure.

But maybe I will think about timing it to go past and back down. Great information, thank you.
Just love.
Unfortunately on that trip there was an extrovert. He met someone with a common interest in the lounge car. But then he decided to find his new friend and they proceeded to talk in our coach car for about an hour after the lights had been dimmed and people were trying to sleep.
I wanted to put a laughing icon on your post (I think I will go back and change it 🤩) because you wrote it so brilliantly & I could just imagine the person, in full glory.😁

I actually was that annoying person for someone else in the bunks for one trip, very late one evening. And then early in the morning with my father. I thought that part of the car was empty. But there was one poor lone wolf having to hear me call every family member to rave about the service. Loudly. 😊My father was palliative with glioblastoma (brain cancer) & this was one of his last hurrahs. We all had worried about his lack of mobility to even board and get settled (this was before Via's accessible room, but even that is not easy). Poor man, but he was very lovely when I realized he was there & apologized.

----------

For anyone with a disability or even a life-altering condition Via rail is willing and ready. On that trip I met another woman who talked to me openly about being palliative (@cabanafrau, her and her husband were immediately taking The Rocky Mountaineer from The Canadian, and were so very excited)
When I needed some extra care from stewards one explained that people even ride the train with intense medical set-ups & life threatening conditions. A la they are more than used to anything & everything that comes their way.

Exceptional service.

I'd love to take a train vacation, over here in the UK everyone is so close to each other sleeper carriages just don't exist and the biggest journey is only about 7, 8 hours?

I'd love to take a train vacation, over here in the UK everyone is so close to each other sleeper carriages just don't exist and the biggest journey is only about 7, 8 hours?
They do exist, leave Edinburgh at night, wake up the following morning in London. Caledonian Sleeper
And you have the Night Riviera Sleeper between London and Penzance.

Never knew Penzance is a real place. Always thought Gilbert & Sullivan made it up.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter