• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Someone defend Tough to be a Bug to me

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am writing our trip report from our last minute trip last weekend. We did Tough to be A Bug for the first time ever this trip. Here is my premise:

I have been going to WDW since I was 9 and I am 46. I have memories of great attractions long gone and attractions I wish were still there (Mission to the Moon/Mars >>> Stitch). I have not liked attractions (Mission:SPACE to me was a clear miss given the intensity). But Tough to be a Bug is the only attraction I have experienced at WDW that I consider offensive. Here is why - it should be for kids, it really should be. But the story line is scary, dark and intense. The effects are scary. My memory of the ride was the wailing of kids drowning out the soundtrack.

Disney does some great, amazing stuff but this is the first attraction I can remember ever that I would tell someone to never, ever do. Mission:SPACE is one that I would recommend with caution. But this one is simply an avoid.

Defenders?
Hate it

While I agree it can be scary for kids, we really enjoy it. Then again I myself was a kid when A Bug’s Life came out (I still remember seeing it in theatres) so at least I knew Hopper was bad (and let me tell you something that animatronic is freaking huge-I’ve only sat in front of it once and I was shocked at the fact it’s an actual human sized animatronic). We also love that it has a lot of tricks that some 4D rides don’t have anymore…then again I learned my lesson after being “stung” and have not sat fully back since I was a kid going into that attraction for the first time.
The great thing about living in today’s day and age? I’m sure somewhere there is a POV video. I always tell adults with young kids watch the POV first, and if you really can’t gauge how it will be for your child, either don’t go or depending on their age let them watch the POV and explain what’s going on.

We still tell the story in our family of how this scared our 8 year old son on our first family trip to WDW 16 years ago!! For us(maybe not my son) it is a great memory!! He tucked under the arm of a stranger on the row in front of us!

Great. Now I'm wondering how many pages into the forum someone would have to go to find a thread from July of 2014.
Zombie-Thread-Walk450.gif

I know this thread is older than dirt but I want to chime in. the only part of that ride I find disturbing is the pre show. I don't like being in that cramped area knowing exactly how much steel and cement and plaster are directly above me. I also don't like being cramped all the way in the very front of that holding area. It feels extremely Clostrophobic. The show itself I love.

My memory of the ride was the wailing of kids drowning out the soundtrack
We went one time when it was raining and the park was empty. Same goes for just after the parks re-opened in 2020. Both times we heard the same kids wailing.

Wait for it...

I am a full grown adult with a spider phobia. I skipped this attraction for 2 vacations. Another vacation I got brave and did this attraction. I found that the spiders in this attraction were too large and way too cartoonish to be scary.
I actually felt silly that I avoided this in years before. I absolutely love this attraction now.

I feel that if the parents know that they have a child that is bug phobic, then they should not take them in there. They should explain that it is a scary one, but that all the bugs are NOT REAL.

And don't forget .... most of the children's stories that we grew up with have their own dark sides, too. Most children are able to handle it.

P.S. I always lean just a little forward when I think it might be time for the bee "sting". ;)
Someone popped this thread up and I was fascinated to read it - but this part caught my attention because I've been trying to explain WDW to my kids (who've never been). Here's what I said - no matter how scary something seems at Disney World, know that it was made to be safe.

Also, I have a similar phobia (of fish) and find that the cartoonish versions in some of the attractions are okay for me (but not the real live ones ... shudder)!

Literally never understood threads like this one or “convince me to do X” threads. It’s OK to just not like something and move on with life.
Even thought it's a zombie thread, I just have to respond. I don't get it either. We all have different likes and dislikes and it's ok. I don't think anyone should try and convince anyone of anything. Many kids enjoy it. Was just there. Loved hearing and actually seeing kids reactions. Looking up at their parents and laughing or trying to reach out to touch the bugs. Too cute!

I know this thread is older than dirt but I want to chime in. the only part of that ride I find disturbing is the pre show. I don't like being in that cramped area knowing exactly how much steel and cement and plaster are directly above me. I also don't like being cramped all the way in the very front of that holding area. It feels extremely Clostrophobic. The show itself I love.
🤣🤣🤣So True!!!!!

I like this and it's a must do every trip for me. Now the snake in Honey I shrunk the kids, that's scarier IMO!

I like this and it's a must do every trip for me. Now the snake in Honey I shrunk the kids, that's scarier IMO!
Make that "Honey, I Shrunk the Audience."

And, talk about a Zombie reference in this Zombie thread...
Honey, I Shrunk the Audience closed over 11 years ago, in 2010!!
:tilt:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter