Something About Nothing............ #14

I’ll bite ‘mami’?

Spanish word for "mommy". It is used as a term of endearment for all kinds of cultures, not just Spanish. Anyone can use it really, as a mother will even call their own daughter "mami". It is a term of endearment. Hence why it's fine if some of my friend's call me it, especially if we're that close. However, like all kinds of terms of endearment they can be used as pet names for men to call women. Which can be a good thing, or a bad thing depending on how you know the person. Since I've had strangers call me this, specifically older men, and the fact I never understood the whole daddy/mommy thing, it's a big "nope" for me.

I don't know why just something other than that. Mami and Baby are just my top two no names. I've had a few friends call me that occasionally, but those people are practically family, which that is what it is to some families, but for other people, nope, not your mami, or baby.
Spanish word for "mommy". It is used as a term of endearment for all kinds of cultures, not just Spanish. Anyone can use it really, as a mother will even call their own daughter "mami". It is a term of endearment. Hence why it's fine if some of my friend's call me it, especially if we're that close. However, like all kinds of terms of endearment they can be used as pet names for men to call women. Which can be a good thing, or a bad thing depending on how you know the person. Since I've had strangers call me this, specifically older men, and the fact I never understood the whole daddy/mommy thing, it's a big "nope" for me.
I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a few Spanish women friends who will greet me with a "hey Mami", but I don't think I've ever had a man say that to me. I would probably give him a dirty look. :sad2:

I usually get the “ hey you” when I’m addressed
Lol

I know exactly what you're talking about. I have a few Spanish women friends who will greet me with a "hey Mami", but I don't think I've ever had a man say that to me. I would probably give him a dirty look. :sad2:

Yeeeeeah, I worked in drive thru previously and I had a few customers do that. I was not amused. I am Miss Customer Service and I always have a smile on my face, but sometimes I feel the desire to not fake it and let people know how I feel with my face. It was a rare occasion. I'm too nice to ever say anything rude. Not even when I had a chicken sandwich thrown at me. Even then I was attempting to "please" the customer, however they were smart and ran anyway (didn't even notice since after it happened I turned around after it happened) since that's technically assault. Also, I do not know how many times I'd already be smiling and a dude says, "You should smile more." Excuse meeeeeeeeeeee? I would immediately and on purpose would go from :-) to 😐.

Last edited:
When I was a kid and would say hey to a person, my mom would tell me hey/hay is for horses and don’t use that word to me again

It has been good weather today and got up to 65
Temps down to 50’s now and expect rain

Doing our Taco Bell run soon so we miss the rain

Something About Nothing thread started on April 10, 2007
Spent time today remembering some of our homies reading thru that first thread

Back then we had a 250 page limit
When that number hit, I started SAN #2

Think it was thread SAN #7 when the limits were removed

When I was a kid and would say hey to a person, my mom would tell me hey/hay is for horses and don’t use that word to me again
We were never allowed to use "hey" to call or acknowledge someone either. It was considered disrespectful.

It has been good weather today and got up to 65
It only got up to 42 here today... brrr! It's 39 now and I'm ready to head upstairs to hibernate.

Hey youse around where I live. Yo, is usually what I hear, when someone wants to get your attention.

Lovely blonde again. And nice, now relaxing with a cup of tea. Some not so nice language heard from our TV, hence I left older one playing with his online friends in the other room. Can only listen and watch so much of that FPS games he usually plays with them.

Hope all have as peaceful night as I am having.

Yeah, Mac, 32 the high on Friday. After 52 today, I would say, cold feeling on Friday. Hence may take a 4 day weekend and not have to do that early getting up on Friday, since coldest day this week.

Good evening everyone. Time to wrap up the day. Taco salad for supper tonight, so I guess that counts as taco Tuesday.
Went by Kroger on the way home to get some cold medicine and got carded. I didn't realize you needed ID to buy over the counter medication.
Right now I am hot, but Dh says he is freezing. I don't have a fever, but my temp is a little higher than normal.

Welcome to our new poster’s name as
MRose

Congrats to charade for the name!

Oooh, do I get a prize?😁

A little past the convo, but I only use "hey" if I plan on using someone's name along with it. Closest thing to using a non-name would be "dude" along with it. However, that would be someone I knew. Also, dude to me is gender neutral. Disappointed I never had a reason to say "Hey Jude" though. If I don't know someone's name I just don't use their name until someone else says it since I'm awkward.

Oh I agree DisneyLife. 60 the high tomorrow (yes, and rain with it), then into the low 20's overnight, with the high 32, and wind chills, on Friday. Today, car said 39 on the commute, while maybe not so much a cloud cover, it was very dark. And with a laugh, the weather guy said, roads are dry this morning, but you'll have a wet afternoon commute, so no more dry roads before the day ends. He continued, and yes, more rain. Oh a soaking we will have, a soaking we will have. Hoping it dries up before the temps take a dive. And yes, the umbrella is in my bag. But since the weather guy said the sun would be making brief appearances today, oh yes I did, brought the sunglasses too, as hoping that is when the lunchtime walk is, and will be rocking them.

Ah, the day of the week, when I can say, yay, two more sleeps, and I'll be sleeping in Friday, er, well not moving fast Friday. DH is not a quiet person, when he gets ready for the day. Otherwise, I am up when he is, and I leave same time, or around same time as him, so don't care if he's noisy. So yes, Wednesday is here, the hump of the day, in the middle of the work day week, where all are happy the camel is here, as a reminder.

473052 - yes, say Wednesday. Woot!

Oh and for Mac, and those coffee drinkers:
473053 :laughing:

With that, while I will drink a cup of coffee, tea is in my cup today. Ooh, and second cup too. Thirsty, but not quite a Thursday yet. Heater is on though. Just a tad too cool inside for me.

Have that wonderful Wednesday homies. Good Morning, and for some, Good Afternoon.

Yo! :wave2:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter