Something special for 14yr old boys

Soccermom58

Earning My Ears
Looks like my son's soccer team is heading to Disney to compete in the International Soccer Tournament ( Dis Sports Complex) in late June - July. Would like to plan a team event that would be fun for all. Any recommendations for a group of 15 (14 yr. old) very active boys? I keep reading about all of the "cute stuff" Any idea's for these"cool" teenage boys??
Thanks
SoccerMom58:bounce:

Wow 15 -14 year old boys... you are very brave.

If you want to do a character meal try Donald's Breakfast at AK. The CM do a bit of improv thruout the meal. Donald, Mickey and Goofy are also there. My mom and dad took my 11, 17,& 19 year old nephews there a few years ago and they all had a great time.

YOu might also want to check out the Mini golf. There are two courses at Winter/Summerland, and two at Fantasia Golf. I would think Winter/Summerland would be more fun for 14 year old boys.

Have Fun!!

That's a tough age - they're too old for some things and too young for others! Still, here are some suggestions:
One idea would be the surfing lessons at Typhoon Lagoon, but that is expensive ($125) and you have to be a strong swimmer - perhaps not everyone would be able to join in. The Family Magic Tour of the Magic Kingdom is a 2 hour tour where you follow clues through each land. It's $25 plus tax and MK admission and is offered 2x daily.
If that seems too tame for this group, what about creating a scavenger hunt geared toward them? I'd pick one specific park or area (such as Boardwalk or DTD) and have teams with a list of things to do or find - like a picture of a hidden mickey, an unbroken waffle cone, a CM name tag, logo napkin or paper cup from a specific spot. This would work best if each team had a Polaroid or digital camera, so that you could have them do things that just involved taking their pictures or finding things they could get for free. (Remember to insist they ask for things first - we don't want to promote inadvertent theft! :p ) You could even do an all picture hunt, so that all the results would just be pics; then they wouldn't have to carry too much. For that one, maybe the boys could have a saying or team slogan to spell out using letters from signs or rides - posing to highlight the specific letter they need. Or give each team a character (or have them choose) and see which team can get the most pictures of that character in any form - topiary, stuffed animal, T-shirt, store window, etc. Set a time limit and have a final meeting place, perhaps at a restaurant to enjoy a meal and share results. You could give out medals or pins as rewards, maybe give extra points for most creative or funniest. There are so many ways you could do this with a little advance planning. I think this would keep them moving, get them noticing their surroundings (maybe finding things they didn't know about) and give them a chance to be a little creative.

Congratulations to the team - good for them for making it into the tournament!
:jester:

Thanks Lisa
You gave me a lot of food for thought and some good ideas. Thanks for taking the time! We are looking forward to the tournament.
Disney Dreams
Soccermom58
:Pinkbounc

If your visiting Epcot with the group, set up an illuminations party on one of the viewing platforms. They have dessert parties with your own viewing platform. Maybe they can gear the party to accomodate teenage boys tastes. From where the party is hosted, you have a spectacular view. We did this this summer with our group of 20. We even brought glow necklaces back from home for the kids.

Hi , The water mice at the Disney resorts run about $30.an hour. My 15 year old son has done them twice,last summer and this Feb. he LOVES it!! They fit 2 to a boat so each person could drive for a half hour if they shared. There are also patrol boats out there to keep an eye on everyone!! WE rented both times around Bay Lake. Once at the GF and once at the Poly. GOOD LUCK!! Joan (when he was out on the Lake at the GF my daughter and I went to tea and at the Poly we stayed out at the beach bar!!)

I asked my DSs (14)(16) and the both said Typhoon Lagoon or Disney Quest. Illumination idea was shot down, although I loved it. What does a mom know?? Any scavenger hunt was a good idea too. Disney Quest pizza party was the overwhelming favorite idea.

Good Luck Soccer Mom...and the team too!

PS: They liked the cheerleading competition but mom shot that down.LOL:p

Don't know if this idea would work for you, but we took a group of 5 teenage girls "tubing" at Sammy Duvall's watersports at the Contemporary Resort. I noticed at least 2, maybe 3 boats, all capable of pulling people, docked at the marina. The boat was $100 for 1 hour, plus tip. (so that would be $20 plus shared tip per boy). The driver was willing to pull 3 people, each in separate tubes, behind the boat at one time. All the kids got plenty of "water time."
The driver, who was a water sports professional, would pull the kids according to their ability. (Most of our girls wanted to see if they could be knocked off their tubes by the way the driver "whipped" the boat, so their rides were more "wild." The girl who wasn't so adventerous was pulled slowly in a straight line.)

I know that Sammy Duvall's has several of these boats, so with some advanced planning, you probably could arrange for all the boys to be out in the various boats during the scheduled hour). Don't know how the parents would all feel about it, but I bet the boys would love it!

Dinner in Morrocco with the belly-dancer.

The water parks and Disney Quest are two places that they'll enjoy...

if those 14 yolds are anything like my 15 yo DS, what they would like most is to be turned loose in Disney Quest -- or an E ticket night in the MK. My DS would hate any kind of "party" which would inhibit his experience of the parks.

When my son was 14, we took him to WDW. By the way, he has a tshirt that says "Soccer is Life, the rest is just details", so he's not too different from your kids.
He loved "all the free video games in Innoventions", also the Water Mice, also the swimming pools and water parks.
Another real challenge is feeding all those active boys-boys that active tend to eat lots of food! And yet you don't want to take a second mortgage out!

When my son was 14, I took him to the WWofSports Cafe and we watched WWF (now WWE) SummerSlam on pay per view and ate nachos together. You don't need to use a park admission to gain entrance to the restaurant. They also had many baseball and football games on, as it is loaded with TV screens. This is a real hit with 14 year old boys. Also, ESPN restaurant is great, but take your ear plugs for that one!

A few years ago, my boys did the NFL experience at WWofS and they enjoyed that. I don't know which days they offer it, but it lasted a few hours. My husband did it with them.

Of course, I also agree with the Disney Quest idea since weather makes no difference and everyone is in one place.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter