• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sometimes people just crack me up!

Mickey Fliers

DIS Veteran
So, I have been reading all these threads on the Resorts Board about people being offered a switch from AKL to either SSR or OKW. These people are up in arms and saying things like "I am not interested in stayin in any villas", "I want a real resort experience", "I want to be pampered", "Switch from AKL to SSR...not a fair trade".

These statements literally make me chuckle. If they had any idea how great ANY of the villas are, they would certainly feel silly for saying such things. Oh well, let them continue to live in their delirium. Take your small resort room at BC, Poly, or wherever (I love BC and Poly, btw) and feel pampered as 5 people share one bathroom and mom and dad need to go to sleep with the little ones at 8:00. :rotfl2:

Don't get me wrong, I love the resorts, but I would never turn down a FREE upgrade to ANY villas.

I know - I think it is because they have never even seemed a DVC resort. Probably scared they would want to buy it.

I have also heard a few comments from those that don't understand in regards to housekeeping. They are afraid they won't get it. But as renters, they will get daily housekeeping. Alot of people get hung up on the hotel environment too. SSR and OKW are more like traditional timeshares....with the rooms encompassing different areas at the resort. Some don't like that.

I suppose room service is the other problem ? Because other than this, I can't understand why some wouldn't take the switch either. The noise level at the AKL is predicted to be quite loud (and I'm sure annoying ?). Can't see how this would make someone feel "pampered" ?

I like it that way. If everyone loved dvc there might not be room for me! We were fortunate to stay at okw in december (rented pts from a friend) and it was the most wonderful experience in the world.
(mary "the dvc-wanna-be") :yay:

I laugh at the misperceptions too.

However I do sympathize about the bedding for families of 4 and especially 5. We were a family of 5 and one reason we didn't buy at OKW when it opened was that to get enough actual beds we would have needed to get a 2BR every trip. For occupance reasons of course but also comfort. I wouldn't want my kids to have to sleep on pullouts. One son always does now when just 3 of us travel but he thinks it's fun...loves pulling out the bed.

I have to chuckle -- and kick myself -- as well. Our trip in the beginning of September was originally a cash, deluxe Savannah view room. Then we bought the AKV points and I decided to switch to a 1 BR points stay. Now if I had only kept the cash reservation, perhaps we could have been switched to SSR, received money back AND we would still have all those AKV points to bank. Story of my life!:rolleyes:

I agree too. I saw someone who would rather stay in a room with 400 SF than stay in a one bed with over 700 SF. (Plus Disney was offering the person tons of $$$ to change and stay in a 1 bedroom at SSR and they didn't take the offer). Most are acting like DVC resorts are not delux resorts. They just don't know our "secret" do they? Personally I would've take the SSR + $$ offer, and stay at SSR, then use the extra $$ towards my next trip and stay at the other resort and they could've tried both places for a great deal!

Is this the person that wanted a "hotel" experience? Personally I need an RX for valium with all four of us were going to stay in one room, to me that's not a vacation(ie time to relax).

Guess that's why we bought DVC, we love getting our 2br villas.(Though may try a 1br at AKV since they sleep 5 to save on points in the future.) Everyone gets a proper bed(no sharing for the boys) and the big plus of the washer in the room(fewer clothes=fewer suitcases):thumbsup2

I don't need someone to make my bed or clean my room everyday(they always mess with my stuff in the bathroom).

All of the correct observations above notwithstanding, I can certainly understand someone being unhappy being moved from AKL to SSR or OKW (and I own at both).

That's not the reservation they booked in good faith. They probably put a lot of time and effort into deciding to stay at AKL; in fact, they may have been looking forward to staying there for years. Now they get "walked," presumably because of the DVC construction at AKL.

"Better" is not always better. Getting upgraded from Pop to SSR is definitely a step up, but not everyone will agree that being moved from a deluxe resort property with special appeal to a DVC resort is an equal swap...no matter what size the rooms are.

At least one person stated what the family would prefer, Beach Club, and Disney accomodated the family. If you know what is acceptable, state it, and you may just get what you want.

Usually we go to the Flower Show, I book BWV, and switch to BCV...for '08 we booked Savannah View AKV, and will not change. That's just how much AKV means to me!

Bobbi:goodvibes

All of the correct observations above notwithstanding, I can certainly understand someone being unhappy being moved from AKL to SSR or OKW (and I own at both).

That's not the reservation they booked in good faith. They probably put a lot of time and effort into deciding to stay at AKL; in fact, they may have been looking forward to staying there for years. Now they get "walked," presumably because of the DVC construction at AKL.

"Better" is not always better. Getting upgraded from Pop to SSR is definitely a step up, but not everyone will agree that being moved from a deluxe resort property with special appeal to a DVC resort is an equal swap...no matter what size the rooms are.

I agree. I like staying at AKL and I stay there for one reason - the Savannah. Our one short stay at AKL was looked forward to and planned for for over a year - the hotel was a destination in itself and we spent barely any park time that day. If you were going to move me to OKW or SSR I'd have fits - I would have been spending months dreaming about sitting on the Savannah. Trading giraffes for golfers is not an even trade - no matter how big the room is - its a downgrade.

I have also heard a few comments from those that don't understand in regards to housekeeping. They are afraid they won't get it. But as renters, they will get daily housekeeping. Alot of people get hung up on the hotel environment too. SSR and OKW are more like traditional timeshares....with the rooms encompassing different areas at the resort. Some don't like that.

I suppose room service is the other problem ? Because other than this, I can't understand why some wouldn't take the switch either. The noise level at the AKL is predicted to be quite loud (and I'm sure annoying ?). Can't see how this would make someone feel "pampered" ?

But I heard you don't get daily housekeeping. Am I hearing wrong?

I agree. I like staying at AKL and I stay there for one reason - the Savannah. Our one short stay at AKL was looked forward to and planned for for over a year - the hotel was a destination in itself and we spent barely any park time that day. If you were going to move me to OKW or SSR I'd have fits - I would have been spending months dreaming about sitting on the Savannah. Trading giraffes for golfers is not an even trade - no matter how big the room is - its a downgrade.
I agree. I have been to SSR just to view the AKV rooms and I don't like the looks of it at all just from driving through it. No offense to those who love it but I really have no intention of ever staying there. I bought where I want to stay.

I love AKL and we always stay there for the Savanna view. I'd be REALLY upset if I had a reservation for months ahead of time only to be told I'd have to move to SSR. That's why I bought AKV as soon as it was available. I love those animals! (p.s. I hate golf.)

I can definately see being upset b/c your vacation plans have suddenly changed. And, if you had been waiting and waiting to stay at AKL, then most certainly the construction would be sucky.

However, my issue is with the "I don't want any villas", "I want a true resort experience", and "I want to be pampered" statements. They make it sound as if they are comparing a Four Seasons with a Motel 6. Like DVC is something less than desireable, b/c you may not be "pampered"???? I think that they believe if they stay in any DVC resort, it will somehow be less "Disney" or less of a "vacation".

I find it funny, b/c I believe the exact opposite to be true! If my family of 5 (including 3 boys 9,8,4) had to stay in one Poly room for 7 nights, I would be drunk before breakfast. ;)

If you stay on DVC points or DVC cash reservation, you get your trash removed and towels replaced on day 4 for 7 nights or fewer. For 8 nights or more, you get full cleaning on day 4 and trash and towels on day 8.

If you pay cash (which these people are doing), you get full cleaning every day.

The people who are being upgraded from the values or AKL do get daily housekeeping because they are using Disney CRO rooms for these upgrades which are a different inventory and are considered the same as if they had made the original reservation through CRO paying rack rates. Members or their guests staying on points do not get daily housekeeping.

To be honest, I wouldn't be happy being moved from AKL to OKW or SSR. People book AKL for the animal theme. I haven't stayed there but I would love a room with a view of the savannah. OKW and SSR are very spread out. They have limited fast food options, many families like the food courts. I've been a member for 7 years and love it but DVC is not everyone's "cup of tea".

However, my issue is with the "I don't want any villas", "I want a true resort experience", and "I want to be pampered" statements. They make it sound as if they are comparing a Four Seasons with a Motel 6. Like DVC is something less than desireable, b/c you may not be "pampered"???? I think that they believe if they stay in any DVC resort, it will somehow be less "Disney" or less of a "vacation".
I can understand why those comments might offend you. Usually when you see comments like that, they are from people who have no idea what they are talking about. We get that here on the DVC boards sometimes too -- silly, inaccurate comments from people who don't even own DVC and have never stayed in a DVC resort. I prefer to just let those comments go.

Ignorance is bliss, after all. Let 'em be happy!

I can definately see being upset b/c your vacation plans have suddenly changed. And, if you had been waiting and waiting to stay at AKL, then most certainly the construction would be sucky.

I find it funny, b/c I believe the exact opposite to be true! If my family of 5 (including 3 boys 9,8,4) had to stay in one Poly room for 7 nights, I would be drunk before breakfast. ;)

OKW and SSR don't have valet parking. They don't have room service. If you are off the beaten path, its hard to stroll down to the hotel bar for a drink. They are pleasant resorts if you are looking for the condo feel, but if you want the hotel feel, they really aren't sufficient. As a DVC member, I prefer the hotel resorts over the condo resorts (other people are different) - in part because I feel more pampered.

If you were going to move me to OKW or SSR I'd have fits - I would have been spending months dreaming about sitting on the Savannah. Trading giraffes for golfers is not an even trade - no matter how big the room is - its a downgrade.
Just curious....I do have an AKL reservation for Dec and I heard it was only "water" view rooms that were going to be affected by the construction ? Is it savannah view too ? Because if it's not savanah view, then getting moved might not have the same impact you described above. The threads I was following, only mentioned water view ? Maybe I missed something ?

OKW and SSR don't have valet parking. They don't have room service.
On a side note...you really do not need valet at OKW. You're car is parked right outside your villa door. And I do use outside restaurants for room service :thumbsup2 So I'm rarely lacking for that at OKW.

I agree....it does probably come down to those that prefer a "hotel feel" in a resort. I can understand some would feel this way (though I'm not one of them).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter