• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Sometimes people just crack me up!

Just curious....I do have an AKL reservation for Dec and I heard it was only "water" view rooms that were going to be affected by the construction ? Is it savannah view too ? Because if it's not savanah view, then getting moved might not have the same impact you described above. The threads I was following, only mentioned water view ? Maybe I missed something ?

On a side note...you really do not need valet at OKW. You're car is parked right outside your villa door. And I do use outside restaurants for room service :thumbsup2 So I'm rarely lacking for that at OKW.

I agree....it does probably come down to those that prefer a "hotel feel" in a resort. I can understand some would feel this way (though I'm not one of them).

Maybe, but even if I'd only booked a water view, I would have booked it with the intent of using the public viewing areas of the resort. AKL is a destination resort - the only other resort that has the same sort of destination quality to it IMHO is the Y&BC with SAB . (I'd never book anything at AKL but a savannah view, but I'd never book a cruise without a veranda either - and we are lucky to be able to afford to be that snobbish).

I visited OKW on my last Orlando trip (I was at a conference, so my entire "Disney" was doing a little resort hopping). There were some things I really liked about the resort - it did feel "homey." The cast members were out of their way pleasant. The pool area was very comfortable, uncrowded and resorty. One think I didn't like was all the traffic and how many cars and buses there were close to the units. Parking outside the unit doesn't have much appeal, and with the ability to do that comes the roads and the traffic.

All of the correct observations above notwithstanding, I can certainly understand someone being unhappy being moved from AKL to SSR or OKW (and I own at both).

That's not the reservation they booked in good faith. They probably put a lot of time and effort into deciding to stay at AKL; in fact, they may have been looking forward to staying there for years. Now they get "walked," presumably because of the DVC construction at AKL.

"Better" is not always better. Getting upgraded from Pop to SSR is definitely a step up, but not everyone will agree that being moved from a deluxe resort property with special appeal to a DVC resort is an equal swap...no matter what size the rooms are.

I agree completely! I love both SSR and AKL but they are certainly different resort experiences. If I had been hoping to stay at AKL and got bumped elsewhere (except maybe the Poly - it has always been a dream of mine to stay there) I would be very disappointed. Now, on the other hand, moving from a value resort to any other level would be a treat! (although we have enjoyed both Pop and AS Sports)

hey nhdisnut your Saratogoa Springs pics are great!! I will be there in 7 days!!!!!!! First trip home. Then off to boardwalk. I can not wait.

Maybe, but even if I'd only booked a water view, I would have booked it with the intent of using the public viewing areas of the resort. AKL is a destination resort - the only other resort that has the same sort of destination quality to it IMHO is the Y&BC with SAB . (I'd never book anything at AKL but a savannah view, but I'd never book a cruise without a veranda either - and we are lucky to be able to afford to be that snobbish).
Well I'm sure there are those that feel like you do Crisi. I, personally, don't feel the same but I can see your point how getting switched from the AKL to another resort would be a downer for some.

I'm the type of person, who is looking at my third cruise (second time without a verandah) this Sept. We actually find, while it is nice to have one, that we have just as great a time with a porthole room. There is just so much to do on a cruise....same as there is just so much to do in WDW. I'm just the type of person that is happy to be on a cruise....or happy to be in wdw :) For me, it's all about the fun things I do, and who I share those times with. Some of our most enjoyable and memorable wdw vacations have been stays in value resorts and even our offsite timeshare. But I realize everyone is different. Some people (and I can respect this), NEED to be in a certain room or a certain hotel to be really pleased. Same as some guests need to plan out every minute of every day....every meal.....map out their every move in wdw....while others are happy to just wing it for the most part. There are just so many different tastes and preferences.

Another point....
I could see being unhappy with a switch to SSR/OKW from AKL for another reason (besides the ambience or "destination" factor). Beds. If one is being switched from AKL to a studio at SSR there is the issue of not having two "actual" beds. SSR has one queen and one double sofa bed. OKW at least offers two queen beds. Or, a good amount of rooms at AKL have bunk beds....that would be a problem too if the guest were counting on having them. So there are cons. But I'll bet there are those that are ecstatic to have a kitchenette with frig and microwave etc. So for some, the switch may be a welcome thing.

Parking outside the unit doesn't have much appeal
Now for us (and I'm sure others from what I've read over the years), this has mega appeal :thumbsup2 This is a major deal for us. We often use our car to go offsite and visit offsite attractions, the beach, relatives etc. Depending on valet constantly can slow one down a bit. Not to mention, alot of people who stay at OKW seem to drive their own cars. We have seen alot of different states represented there when we stay. We, ourselves, have driven our own car from PA on occasion. Being able to park right outside the door proved to be so valuable/helpful. We have traveled with my mil and stayed at several different resorts with her. OKW was her favorite, particularily later in her life. Not having to walk through big lobbies, get on elevators and walk hallways to get to our room was welcomed by her. She loved being able to get out of the car and walk a few steps right into our villa. We stayed at BWV, WL, POR and OKW with my mil. OKW was her favorite.

One think I didn't like was all the traffic and how many cars and buses there were close to the units.
I don't know....I always find OKW so peaceful and relaxing. We encountered more noise at some other resorts---kids running and screaming up and down the hallways etc. I think each resort has it's pros and cons.

But again, fortunately, disney is able to please all sorts of vacationing preferences.
I guess what it comes down to, is the guests that are being offered these switches, can ultimately just say "no".

Agree, and I'm certainly not arguing that OKW and SSR don't appeal to a lot of people - but I do understand anyone who would refuse an upgrade there - and not think its an upgrade. Its a shame that these people are under the impression they won't get daily mousekeeping - if that is what is stopping them that is a non-concern for these reservations. But if what is stopping them is beds, or destination, or "we wanted to have breakfast at Boma twice and dinner at both Boma and Jiko" or "we like room service - I can completely get it.

(Is anyone else always shocked by the number of room service trays in the hallways every morning. We like the availability of room service - but it isn't something we use - we just like the insurance of "its a storm" or "the kids are sick." Yet leaving BWV each morning there seem to be a ton of people who really do use room service.)

I stay at OKW just about every trip I go, but I understand the dissappointment of those who are kicked out of AKL. I've been dreaming of a stay at the Poly all my life, if I had finally been able to get a stay there, and then suddenly offered SSR, or even OKW, I'd be dissappointed. I'm sure some would feel the same towards AKL.

To some people the location of a resort is more important than the space. Ever since Disney offered the dining plan to DVCers, we've been leaning more towards studios than the bigger villas anyway. But that's just us.

The misconception that gets me the most are the ones who say, "We had three rooms booked, we called and we all got one-bedrooms!!! I wish we could have gotten a two bedroom" I'm just waiting for someone to come on here later and say, "Boo hoo...our rooms were so far apart, our kids had to sleep in a sofa bed next to the kitchen." What I want to say is that if you get a studio, at least at OKW you WILL get two queen beds and who needs that big kitchen when they are on the dining plan??? But also, if you have two rooms, if you upgrade to a one-bedroom and a studio, you could get them connected and viola....a two bedroom. But I wasn't able to communicate that well I guess. Oh well, I hope everyone going during this time has a wonderful vacation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter