Southwest Airlines boarding procedures?

MichelleC

Mouseketeer
My dad (made our travel plans) tells me that on our SWA flight there are no reserved seats. He says since we havd kids and a wheelchair passenger, we'll be allowed to board first. Then we'll have our pick of seats. Has anyone flown SWA recently and can confirm or deny this?

Thanks!

PS I did read the "new" SWA procedures for boardng passes in the All Ears newsletter and I'm further confused.

We flew this summer and yes, that'll get you pre-boarded. Well, the wheelchair for sure, the kids have to be under a certain age I think. It won't matter on the kids ages though, the wheelchair passenger would be enough to get your party pre-boarded.

To expand a bit more. The wheelchair pax will be boarded first with her/his husband/wife and children. That is it. The children if under 4 will be boarded with their parents and sibs. That is it.

They will not board an entire extended family at once, however, the persons boarding first can save seats.

I agree that they may or may not board you all together depending on the age of your kids. However, they will allow those who pre-board (or those in your party that board ahead of you) to save seats for your entire party. We flew SW last weekend and if you get to the airport early you should get in the first boarding group "A" and shouldn't have any problems finding seats together! Good luck!

Typically, if the flight you are taking originates in your city, if you are in group A or B you wouldn't have any trouble finding seats together.

For sure, the person in the wheel chair will be allowed to board early.

Originally posted by GAIL HAYDEN
The children if under 4 will be boarded with their parents and sibs. That is it.

Actually this is true in most airports except MCO. The age there is under 5. Probably due to the nature of WDW :)

Actually this is true in most airports except MCO. The age there is under 5. Probably due to the nature of WDW

I think that has more to do with the day of the week than policy.
We left on a Friday and they announced 4 and under. Maybe cause there were not a lot of children.

There were 7 in our group in Sept, me, ds,ds 15, 12, 2 and 5 months and my mil. We all were allowed to preboard on both our flights.

Also to note- My parents just flew Southwest and the person at the desk told them to preboard since they are senior citizens(65 and 72). Am I that old? LOL!! Threehearts

There were 7 in our group in Sept, me, ds,ds 15, 12, 2 and 5 months and my mil. We all were allowed to preboard on both our flights.

Of course you were, you had a two year old and an infant.
You got lucky with mil.

They usually don't do that threehearts, I have seen many people even older board with the other pax. They encountered a very nice person (most of them are, these were REALLY NICE!!). They generally don't even let grandparents preboard with the kids with kids.

This is the "official" policy. I like the "small children" part, guess that leaves that one open for time and place. :)

Prior to general boarding, Customers with disabilities, unaccompanied children, and families with small children will preboard. Customers holding boarding pass "A" will begin general boarding, followed by Customers with boarding pass "B", and then "C."

Gail,
I was not with my parents when they were traveling but I am glad that you gave the correct policy because they thought that they might travel more on SW since this senior boarding was such a perk. I'll let them know. Appreciatively, Susan

Susan,
Well, it would a great perk!!!!! And, since I am nearing that age (well already there according to AARP :) ) I think it would be wonderful!!!
Glad I could help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter