Southwest Airlines DING Watch for So. Cal.

disneymomtofour

Mouseketeer
Has anyone been getting DINGS from Southwest for anything to Southern California past the end of February? There are 6 of us flying and I am waiting for a good deal in March, but I am starting to get nervous. Maybe we can help each other out, like on the Transportation Board for Orlando. Please post any DINGS you receive to the So. California area (Los Angeles, Orange County and San Diego). Anything that will get us close, then we can rent a car. Thanks! :wave2:

I'm right there with ya on this! I got such a great deal on our airfare in December to MCO with Southwest that I've got a travel credit I'm trying to use for our June trip to DL. I'm looking to fly out of St. Louis this time and so far I'm finding the best SWA fare to Ontario, CA, which I've been told is about the same distance to DL as LAX. When I posted here a few weeks ago, I was told that the airports closest to DL are...

Orange County (John Wayne)
Long Beach (but SWA doesn't fly here)
Ontario and LAX
Burbank

Not sure about San Diego or any other cities, but if you're using a rental car it shouldn't be a big deal.

I have been wondering about DING lately...it seems they have been fewer and farther apart than what I remember last summer when I was searching for our Christmas trip to WDW. I think it'd be great if we find any super airfares to share them here...

I've only seen DING fares for Feb 5th - Feb 28th. Nothing for March yet. I keep my eye on that little tail fin all the time though, waiting for the next little white envelope to show up. LOL :cool1:

Pir8girl said:
Okay, I have to ask, what's a DING?

Oh Pir8girl, you must, must, must sign up for this if your home airport is Portland! :thumbsup2

Okay, so this is what you do:
Go to Southwest's website, click on the DING FARES icon, then register and download it to your computer.

After the download is complete, a little Southwest tail-fin icon will appear in your taskbar. When a little white envelope appears over the tail-fin icon, that means you have a DING fare from your home airport. Click on the envelope to find out what DING fares you are being offered.

Now, the good part - A DING fare is a fare that is greatly reduced from the regular fare. For example, right now, there's a DING fare from Portland to Oakland (and from Oakland to Portland) for $64 - $73 one way, good for Feb 3rd - Feb 28th! :banana: You could fly roundtrip to Oakland for (at most) $146.00! Isn't that AWESOME! :cheer2: :woohoo: :cheer2:

If you find a DING fare that you want, you'll only have a few hours to make the purchase, so act fast!

Go for it! :cool1:

Thank you so much Disneymom! I never knew about this. I love that they fly to Orange County.

I didn't think that Orange County was ever included in SW sales? I'd love it if it were, but I've never seen it, DING or otherwise. Here's to hoping something will come up soon.

I guess it just depends where you're flying from.

We get CA ding rates all the time... but there are so many daily flights from here, I'm sure they love to fill those planes.
Can't beat $24 flights AZ - CA :thumbsup2

On the other hand, I don't remember ever seeing a ding rate into MCO from here. Tampa has shown up a time or two for us, but I think the ding rate was actually a bit higher than an internet sale they had going at the time.

Az Pirates said:
I guess it just depends where you're flying from.

We get CA ding rates all the time... but there are so many daily flights from here, I'm sure they love to fill those planes.
Can't beat $24 flights AZ - CA :thumbsup2

On the other hand, I don't remember ever seeing a ding rate into MCO from here. Tampa has shown up a time or two for us, but I think the ding rate was actually a bit higher than an internet sale they had going at the time.
I was checking out the history of DING rates on the travel board, and I did find some DING rates for Phoenix to Orlando, 3 in December and 2 in January. So they do happen a couple times a month if you ever decide to go to Orlando! :cheer2: :banana: :cheer2:

Thanks for the info!
I'll have to keep a closer watch on those SW dings.

The problem for us is SW only has one daily non-stop flight from here into Orlando. I'll probably go ahead and book it as soon as our dates open and hope we get a good internet fare. Chances are it won't be available by the time they offer ding rates anyway.
Not interested in that 3 hopper 10 hour flight they offer. My luck that would be the only one available on a ding. :crazy:

Az Pirates said:
Not interested in that 3 hopper 10 hour flight they offer. My luck that would be the only one available on a ding. :crazy:
I know what you mean! :lmao:
It could be worse. It could be the 3 hopper, 10 hour, red-eye flight! :rotfl2:

New Dings to So. Cal. good until 11:00 am CTS

Houston Hobby to San Diego for $94-$114 One-Way!
February 8 through February 28, 2006 only

Baltimore to Los Angeles for $94-$104 One-Way!
El Paso to Los Angeles for $94 One-Way!
Kansas City to Los Angeles for $69 One-Way!
Nashville to Los Angeles for $94-$104 One-Way!
February 8 through March 31, 2006 only

Not good for us, but maybe this will help someone.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter