• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Spanking

Well, guess you can live by your favorite quote as we all can have our opinions and what we think works the best.
I have 7 siblings (mid 60's - mid 80's) and we have no social ills, love each other, have peace, and were raised with a few spankings, so guess your quote doesn't fit everyone LOL.

And, I might add, the schools sure have much more problems today than they did when we, or our children went to school - very few disruptive students - but that's for another day!
That is not simply b/c ppl aren’t spanking. There are so so so many factors that go into this. We have parents come to school for meetings for kids’ discipline problems & say that the kid gets “whippings” & the kids acknowledge that is true & yet there they are at the school.

Well, guess you can live by your favorite quote as we all can have our opinions and what we think works the best.
I have 7 siblings (mid 60's - mid 80's) and we have no social ills, love each other, have peace, and were raised with a few spankings, so guess your quote doesn't fit everyone LOL.

And, I might add, the schools sure have much more problems today than they did when we, or our children went to school - very few disruptive students - but that's for another day!

Well you obviously believe is ok to hit children so in my opinion no you did not turn out ok you are repeating the cycle of violence.

In schools we are more aware of issues than we were before. That's a good thing. Bullying, harassment and violence in schools were "normal".

Well you obviously believe is ok to hit children so in my opinion no you did not turn out ok you are repeating the cycle of violence.

In schools we are more aware of issues than we were before. That's a good thing. Bullying, harassment and violence in schools were "normal".

I love the way you call it 'hitting' - sounds better for your argument, and no, bullying, harassment and violence was not the normal in the schools then. Were you there? Doubt it - you are most likely much younger.

But, you are entitled to your opinions, as am I, so my postings with you are done - no arguing - we neither will change. The proof for me was in what was happening. I lived it, saw it, and was there all those years.

It has nothing to do with whether I like you or not. I was trying to get clarification on what happened and misread your follow up post.

I dunno, it just felt like you were going out of your way to bug me. I'm sure that was not the case though :)

I love the way you call it 'hitting' - sounds better for your argument, and no, bullying, harassment and violence was not the normal in the schools then. Were you there? Doubt it - you are most likely much younger.

But, you are entitled to your opinions, as am I, so my postings with you are done - no arguing - we neither will change. The proof for me was in what was happening. I lived it, saw it, and was there all those years.
How is it not hitting? A quick look up of the word spank & hit is listed as a synonym. You may have lived it then, but as you are much older now as you mentioned, you are not living it now in the same way. You are most likely observing it from a distance. I have worked in many different social service agencies & I can tell you the issues that trouble our youth are not a lack of corporal punishment.

That is not simply b/c ppl aren’t spanking. There are so so so many factors that go into this. We have parents come to school for meetings for kids’ discipline problems & say that the kid gets “whippings” & the kids acknowledge that is true & yet there they are at the school.

I agree so much with you! Really! There's much more that goes into disciplining than physical punishment. I've also known some just as you said. You have to say what you mean, and mean what you say, not just spank for every little thing and not back it up with other forms of discipline.

Our children were not spanked that often, and never in public, but they knew from a young age we meant what we said and they respected that. Without love and respect you have nothing.

Our teachers were respected also - still have contact with a few of them.

Do you somehow believe that bullying, harassment and violence is not in schools now?

I don't remember there ever being violence when I was in school many years ago or when my sons were in school. We never heard the words "lock down".

Bullying is actually worse now.

Spanking is not violence. It is a tool of punishment. You may choose not to use it but that doesn't change what it is.

There is such a thing as a cycle of abuse. An abused child will often abuse as an adult. But that is a totally different thing.

How is it not hitting? A quick look up of the word spank & hit is listed as a synonym. You may have lived it then, but as you are much older now as you mentioned, you are not living it now in the same way. You are most likely observing it from a distance. I have worked in many different social service agencies & I can tell you the issues that trouble our youth are not a lack of corporal punishment.

I'm a teacher and I say this often... Many troubled students are lacking consistent effective parenting but I've never known any that lacked corporal punishment. This experience is a part of why I view it so negatively.

Do you somehow believe that bullying, harassment and violence is not in schools now?

I don't remember there ever being violence when I was in school many years ago or when my sons were in school. We never heard the words "lock down".

Bullying is actually worse now.

Spanking is not violence. It is a tool of punishment. You may choose not to use it but that doesn't change what it is.

There is such a thing as a cycle of abuse. An abused child will often abuse as an adult. But that is a totally different thing.
I think the pp probably meant that bullying was more tolerated then. They definitely didn’t have the zero tolerance policies like they do now when I was in school. I think like many things, it’s not more prevalent now but more recognized. Plus social media adds a whole new element that wasn’t there before.

I'm a teacher and I say this often... Many troubled students are lacking consistent effective parenting but I've never known any that lacked corporal punishment. This experience is a part of why I view it so negatively.

And I think this is probably the key to all of the disagreement here. You and LSUmiss see a different kind of parent than most here are. Parents that spank, whip, or even beat their kids into "submission" not discipline in an effective way.

When I worked in public schools I saw some of that too.

But I think for most of us here spanking is just one tool in a whole arsenal of discipline tactics. And that makes it a very different thing imo.

And I think this is probably the key to all of the disagreement here. You and LSUmiss see a different kind of parent than most here are. Parents that spank, whip, or even beat their kids into "submission" not discipline in an effective way.

When I worked in public schools I saw some of that too.

But I think for most of us here spanking is just one tool in a whole arsenal of discipline tactics. And that makes it a very different thing imo.
I agree, but I have honestly not seen anything in between. I know logically that there must be an in between b/c of ppl on this thread just for a start. But, I have only seen the parents you mentioned. No one in my circle of family or friends believes in it or does it. And since this is just a bunch of strangers, I find it hard to change my opinion just based on their word that it’s not the same as what I’ve seen. But, I know that goes both ways.

I agree, but I have honestly not seen anything in between. I know logically that there must be an in between b/c of ppl on this thread just for a start. But, I have only seen the parents you mentioned. No one in my circle of family or friends believes in it or does it. And since this is just a bunch of strangers, I find it hard to change my opinion just based on their word that it’s not the same as what I’ve seen. But, I know that goes both ways.

Well most of us form an opinion based on our own experience. And of course it's hard to change that opinion just based on what some faceless person is saying. Completely understandable! :)

I think the pp probably meant that bullying was more tolerated then. They definitely didn’t have the zero tolerance policies like they do now when I was in school. I think like many things, it’s not more prevalent now but more recognized. Plus social media adds a whole new element that wasn’t there before.

Actually, there 'was' zero tolerance in the schools when I attended - misbehavior of any kind was nipped in the bud. Don't remember a case ever of bullying, and my memory of school years is pretty good. None of the parents, that I knew would have even started to tolerate their children being mean to others and that was repeated in school. No social media either where children could have full reign in a 'secret' life (for lack of a better term).

Actually, there 'was' zero tolerance in the schools when I attended - misbehavior of any kind was nipped in the bud. Don't remember a case ever of bullying, and my memory of school years is pretty good. None of the parents, that I knew would have even started to tolerate their children being mean to others and that was repeated in school. No social media either where children could have full reign in a 'secret' life (for lack of a better term).
Zero tolerance in my schools as well "back then". I never witnessed it either. We truly respected each other and the teachers.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter