Special Dietary request (low sodium) at QS

HHMcG

DIS Veteran
I'm looking for recommendations in each park for QS restaurants that do a good job preparing special dietary requests.

I've been on a medically required low sodium diet for a few months now. I am heading to WDW for the first time since. I've read every thread I could find here on low sodium accomidations and got some good recommendations for TS that can accomidate me. But we have a few days with no TS and I was hoping to get a QS for one of my meals. (I do plan to carry low sodium meal options and snacks with me for 2 meals but would like something warm/prepared.)

I would be looking to order things like:
  • a hamburger cooked with no season, no bun and no cheese
  • french fries cooked with no seasoning
  • a salad with no seasoning and no dressing
  • chicken breast cooked with no seasoning
  • or any other possible suggestions that you may have for low sodium quick service meals.
Please share your experience with any QS that were good with your special dietary request and those that weren't.

I reach out to the "Special diets" email and got a canned response that did not answer my question.

TIA

You're in luck because none of the burgers or chicken breast ever have any seasoning. You can omit the bun anytime by just removing it. The salads will be a good option, dressing on the side. You will have a hard time finding unsalted fries at any QS. They are not set up to do special orders of things they prepare in mass quantities like fries.

I'm looking for recommendations in each park for QS restaurants that do a good job preparing special dietary requests.

I've been on a medically required low sodium diet for a few months now. I am heading to WDW for the first time since. I've read every thread I could find here on low sodium accomidations and got some good recommendations for TS that can accomidate me. But we have a few days with no TS and I was hoping to get a QS for one of my meals. (I do plan to carry low sodium meal options and snacks with me for 2 meals but would like something warm/prepared.)

I would be looking to order things like:
  • a hamburger cooked with no season, no bun and no cheese
  • french fries cooked with no seasoning
  • a salad with no seasoning and no dressing
  • chicken breast cooked with no seasoning
  • or any other possible suggestions that you may have for low sodium quick service meals.
Please share your experience with any QS that were good with your special dietary request and those that weren't.

I reach out to the "Special diets" email and got a canned response that did not answer my question.

TIA
most QS fries are mass produced and as PP said will be salted plus the fries can come preseasoned depending on brand. your best bet with dressings and sauces is to ask for on the side. QS most food are at least preprepped if not premade so no way to special order. plus fryers most times will not one for special orders. so what ever was prepared before can leave bits in fryer. I say this based on park I work at in a QS. even our plain chicken breast is held a very salty liquid which would rule that out with your diet and we would have no way to make one special for you

I agree with others, QS will NOT be your friend.
That is why they are called QUICK .
If you find a qs that will work with you, it will a very long wait. Your friends /family will have finished their meal.

Maybe plan of bringing your own food or more sit down restaurants.

This all is very disappointing to read. I definitely read reviews and info from Disney that custom orders at QS were possible. I understand it taking extra-long, that is not a problem as it is just my teenage DS and I on this trip and he'll be fine doing "one more ride" while I wait for food. And cross contamination is not really a problem as sodium doesn't really rub off and I do get some sodium in my diet (unlike an allergy).
I'm hoping someone will come by and at least mention some QS that were willing to work with them.

This all is very disappointing to read. I definitely read reviews and info from Disney that custom orders at QS were possible. I understand it taking extra-long, that is not a problem as it is just my teenage DS and I on this trip and he'll be fine doing "one more ride" while I wait for food. And cross contamination is not really a problem as sodium doesn't really rub off and I do get some sodium in my diet (unlike an allergy).
I'm hoping someone will come by and at least mention some QS that were willing to work with them.
I'd advise going on the Disney website and looking at the menus at the various QS options where you plan to visit. That way, you will be more prepared and can plan on eating at those spots. Not all QS are burgers and fries and at some spots it may be easier to request a special order than others. You should be good with most salads, as generally the dressing is on the side and they are not normally seasoned with salt - but read the description to make sure. You can also wait in the ordering line at a QSR and then ask to speak to the chef to see what they recommend, since you said time is not an issue.

As others suggest above, you'll need to go to the ordering counter to discuss what may be available that's low-sodium.

That's likely going to be a challenge at in-park QS because so many of those are burgers-nuggets-fries oriented.

I'm gluten and dairy intolerant and rarely find things I can eat at park QS, so many of their foods are highly processed and packaged rather than made from scratch. That's why we eat almost entirely TS.

Nearby resort QS will be a better bet, such as the monorail resorts' QS from the MK. Even there, you will need to order at the counter directly and may be directed to a particular CM who handles allergy ordering.

I've had some delicious QS meals at the GF's Gasparilla Island Grill and WL's Geyser Point, the open-air lounge. Those are the ones I'd recommend, the only QS where we've eaten for years.

If I had to say a place where it may be possible to request it would be at a resort. I know deluxe resorts make things to order however with all QS there are no real chefs just short order cooks so you may just get the normal salad as the only suggestion. QS for the most part and especially in the parks is already made so they just do not have raw ingredients where they actually start from scratch. I am sure Disney can provide a list of locations that have low sodium options as all of the health facts are available. Personally I would stick with a salad available at many QS locations. While not ideal I just would not expect a short order cook to know what every item on the menu contains. Also on that note QS work on speed and serving a lot of people fast for a person to make something specific would slow everything down so it just may not be an option. A TS in the parks may be able to accomodate some items to go if you explain I would far trust this over a CS.

My wife is virtually “no salt” and on top of that doesn’t eat red meat and we have no problem at table service but on our last trip we were in the sunshine seasons area in Epcot near soarin. They have a rotisserie chicken stand there and my wife asked if they could do something no salt. The chef came over and made her chicken thighs grilled with no salt. They were excellent. Now it did take a little bit we expect that every where. They are doing something special for us so we don’t mind the wait. We also were Told the grits at Gasparillas grits are made with no salt. It’s only 2 for you but hope they help.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter