• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

SSI application

zurgswife

WDW is my Shangrala...and I'm going...life is bett
My son was told by the group that deals with vocational training in our state that he most likely would qualify for SS because of his aspergers. So, we filled out the paperwork. Two weeks later we got a rejection in the mail because he "hadn't earned enough SS work credits". If he really isn't able to hold a job; how is to earn these work credits so he could qualify?

Was I under the wrong impression that he would qualify based on his disability not whether he had worked in the past or not?

the diference is: Did you apply for SSI or SSDI. DI needs to have a long enough work history, SSI doesn't require ANY work history. Alas, a lot of people get these two confused.

SSI = Supplemental Security Income
SSDI = Social Security Disability Insurance

here is offical information for you, that reading may give you a clearer understanding.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10026.html

Good luck!

After reading it; it seems he is SSDI becuase he is over 18. So, I guess that he doesn't qualify for anything because we didn't apply while he was a child.

no, don't assume that, even if he is over 18 he can still apply for SSI. My sister was on SSI as an adult.

the big differences are: SSI is tied to income. So if your child (over 18) already has income over a certain amount, he won't qualify. if not, he can. Or, if your child was under 18 it would be based on your income levels.

SSDI is based on work credits. So it doesn't matter how much or little income you have, just on your work credits.

the big differences are: SSI is tied to income. So if your child (over 18) already has income over a certain amount, he won't qualify. if not, he can. Or, if your child was under 18 it would be based on your income levels.

SSDI is based on work credits. So it doesn't matter how much or little income you have, just on your work credits.

OK. I think I need to call and follow up. His letter said he didn't qualify because he didn't have enough work credits. It didn't say anything about SSI and income that I remember.

please do follow up. SSI is a great program for both those under and those over 18. :thumbsup2

Also, please remember to give me an update if possible? :hug:

no, don't assume that, even if he is over 18 he can still apply for SSI. My sister was on SSI as an adult.
My youngest DD is on SSI. We did not apply for her until she was over 18 because we had to get guardianship for her before we could apply to SSI.

The Vocational Rehiblitation Case worker got my butt in gear and we followed up. He still has an active application for SSI. So, we are waiting to hear from them. So, hopefully it will work out.

The Vocational Rehiblitation Case worker got my butt in gear and we followed up. He still has an active application for SSI. So, we are waiting to hear from them. So, hopefully it will work out.

Yay for case workers AND updates! (I was thinking about you today too!)

I hope that it gets approved first thing. But just remember, even if it is denied APPEAL! I think they deny everyone in hopes they don't appeal. :confused3

either way, my thoughts are with you :goodvibes :hug:

Yay for case workers AND updates! (I was thinking about you today too!)

I hope that it gets approved first thing. But just remember, even if it is denied APPEAL! I think they deny everyone in hopes they don't appeal. :confused3

either way, my thoughts are with you :goodvibes :hug:

We had a face to face with the vocational Rehab case worker and she said that be prepared to be denied and refile right way. So, hopefully we will get the paper work this week so we can send it in.

SSI or Supplemental Security Income is a federaly funded program. When applying include letters for doctors and the results from all testing. If you are still confused then find a good educational advocate. Make sure it is someone associated with a non profit charitable foundation. Otherwise you could be throwing good money away. Also on the refusal letter it should state why it was refused. If not or if there is not enough info then ask why. You have a right to this information so that you may apeal the decision. The letter should state the apeal process or at least who to contact in your area to do so.

Still waiting for the paper work. They told us 10 days ago we'd be receiving it. Nothing. If we don't get anything by Monday. I'll have him call again.

yes, please do call again. I hope you get it today or tomorrow though.

then again, personally I hate all paperwork :scared1: so I would be innerly happy to wait a few more days for it. :laughing:

either way, thanks for the update again! :thumbsup2 :hug:

I just wish I could handle it. Because trying to get an 18 year old male with Aspergers get that this needs to be dealt with is like swimming up stream. He did agree to call on monday if we haven't heard anything.

Looks like I will be reminding him to call tomorrow. We have heard nothing by phone or snail mail.

Thanks for the info. I'm trying to get him to handle this so I don't continue to be mother hen. LOL

He did pretty good. He did finally ask if I could answer some of the questions because he was confused. It worked at good. He will be having a phone interview in about a week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter