• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

SSI application

He will most likely get it w/o a problem. My son, ASD, got the same letter, hadn't worked enough quarters, blah, blah, blah... I called, they fixed it, he has gotten the full amount since his 18th birthday. We didn't have to appeal, looking back the whole thing was pretty quick...of course the fact that he got it w/o even an appeal is a downer.

Well he did the phone interview today and we had to send the paperwork in that give authorization for Dr. Records.

We shall see where it goes from here.

I just wish I was aware about all these things he might eligible for prior to now. I feel he would have been diagnosed earlier and we wouldn't be scrambling trying to get qualified at this point in his life.

Well he did the phone interview today and we had to send the paperwork in that give authorization for Dr. Records.

We shall see where it goes from here.

I just wish I was aware about all these things he might eligible for prior to now. I feel he would have been diagnosed earlier and we wouldn't be scrambling trying to get qualified at this point in his life.

yay for progress and I COMPLETELY understand that last part. even though my DD is not as old as your son, I feel like these things should have been followed up on way before now. I hate feeling like I didn't push hard enough, or make myself clear enough. :confused3 Either way, I know I am not letting this next appt go by without at least the right referral to get diagnosed. :thumbsup2

And plus, depending on what his parents income was/is he could have been getting money assistance as a child from SSI. My sister had SSI since she was about 10.

Still in the paperwork phase. They have sent paperwork to everybody that he is connected with....So, no decisions yet but at least we are moving forward.

still is progress! Theses things take a long time to get through, but it is worth it in the end. Or so I think. :hug:

you still in the waiting game section?

here is me stopping by to remind you that yeah this takes a bit of time, but it is worth it! :cheer2:

Still waiting game. Thanks for he cheer and support.:cheer2::cheer2:

:hug:

Sadly one thing we can not say about our government is that it doesn't move fast to help our own people. :confused3

Eventually the waiting will end! :flower3:

Still waiting....should we call and check on application or just continue to wait it out.

Sometimes the wait is long as Social Security could be waiting on getting records from doctors, schools, etc. It also depends on how busy your state diability office is, as most of the claims/approval process is handled by each individual state. Once I was waiting on an approval for one of my kids who had gone from a child benefit to an adult benefits, filed new paperwork and 2 months went by. I had the name of the state worker, called him and he told me it had been approved 2 weeks after the application was filed and had gone to our local Social Security office, who never notified me. So, I had to hassle the local Social Security office.

Also to clarify, a child or adult can get SSDI if one of the parents is drawing social security retirement benefits. Then Social Security considers the adult parent's retirement record as a basis for the child's benefit amount.

Thanks. I think I will have him call on Monday to see if there is any progress....

So, I have a question then...should I apply for DS? I assume it would be SSI that I would apply for. What happens if he gets it when he turns 18?
DS is 15, an aspie with ADHD and desperately wants a job. He cannot function in a job. His doctor just told him earlier this month that she doesn't think he can do a job and may not be able to get a drivers license if he doesn't improve.
Any advice is appreciated!

So, I have a question then...should I apply for DS? I assume it would be SSI that I would apply for. What happens if he gets it when he turns 18?
DS is 15, an aspie with ADHD and desperately wants a job. He cannot function in a job. His doctor just told him earlier this month that she doesn't think he can do a job and may not be able to get a drivers license if he doesn't improve.

apply! you don't have to wait until he is 18! Go into, or call your local SS office and talk with them. they can help you out with everything. It never hurts to apply. :thumbsup2

What would happy if he gets it? then you know that no matter what he has a paycheck, even if he can't hold a job. and if he CAN, that doesn't stop SSI all together. they take away 1 dollar of the SSI check for every 2 dollars he makes in a job. So you can still let him try to work a job, but know he has a safety net.

Yes, you can apply for SSI for your teenage son. HOWEVER, if you or your spouse are working and earning an income, SSI will consider that income in figuring your son's benefit, if they find him eligible. They call it "deeming" of the parent's income, and would reduce your son's SSI payment. Once your son turns 18, the deeming rule no longer applies, and they would only consider your son's income if he had a job.

Another however, is that if you or your spouse are disabled, retired, or otherwise collecting some kind of Social Security benefit from when you worked, then your son could be eligible for SSDI off of the parent's record. In this case, they do not count the parent's income towards the social security payment your son would get. If your son eventually got a job, there is a whole set of different rules that would apply eventually, but his benefit would remain the same for several years until he earned enough to be considered "substantially gainfully employed" in social security's eyes.

Thanks for the advice. This brings up another question. I don't really work. I have a very part time job that I do from home. We have a baby so I stay home with her. Boyfriend and I live together and are planning to get married but aren't. How does that work? I do have income but we are talking about less than $100 a month. It is mostly just a hobby that makes me some money.

Thanks for the advice. This brings up another question. I don't really work. I have a very part time job that I do from home. We have a baby so I stay home with her. Boyfriend and I live together and are planning to get married but aren't. How does that work? I do have income but we are talking about less than $100 a month. It is mostly just a hobby that makes me some money.

Income is income, no matter how small in SSI's eyes. They also consider savings accounts, but not retirement accounts of the parent. Your income is very small, so it shouldn't make much difference, especially with another child, which they will also consider in figuring the benefit amount in your favor. Is your boyfriend your older child's father or not? If not, then his income will not be considered. Do you get any child support? If yes, than that amount will be considered.

Well we didn't call before our 2 week vacation....but he did call today....Great news he was approved the first time out....no reapplying for us....They did a total deposit from when he first applied. Don't know what his monthly amount will be but somewhere around 350 per month....We still don't have any paperwork yet...but he was told we would receive this week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter