• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

SSI Info. Longish.

Virgo10

<font color=darkorchid>Really, this year there's n
I'm a long time poster at the DIS but I don't think I've ever posted on this board. So first off I wanted to say hello. :wave: :)

I posted this thread on the CB and they advised me to come over here where you folks might have more information. Here's the original post:

A friend of mine is applying for SSI. She is unable to work due to congenital disorder that has gotten worse as she's gotten older. Outwardly she doesn't look disabled but like many older people, she hides the pain really well. Her x-rays back up the fact that she has an ongoing problem that will never get better. She does not have enough quarters to get SS Disability.

She feels it's useless to even apply because she's heard SS almost never lets people have it without a long and difficult fight. She feels she'd need a lawyer and she can't afford one.

I figured with such a large group of people, there would be some here who have had experience with the SSI part of SS or at least know someone who did. My only knowledge of it was with a friend who was a quadriplegic. They give him a VERY hard time when he tried to get a battery powered wheelchair! Not something I want to tell her while I'm trying to get her to apply.

Any info would be appreciated.

Several people on the CB offered advise from lawyers who will wait to be paid from a settlement to contacting a state office of those who advocate for people with disabilities.

My friend's reluctance to pursue SSI is coming from her run in with workman's comp. While she's had physical limitations nearly her whole life, she worked up until a work related accident that cause her preexisting condition to spiral out of control. After 3 years, she settled with w/c for next to nothing. Only those of you who have had dealings with w/c could understand the hell they put her through.

The good news is she did make an appointment for an interview with SSI. They told her to bring EVERYTHING, all her doctor's names, etc. and even x-ray films.

Anything those of you who have gone through this might be able to add would be very helpful.

Tell her to get the paperwork to fill out in advance. Fill out everything in absolute detail leaving nothing to question, anything that may support her situation, all the doctors, details on meds etc, copies of doctors reports stating her disability especially the congenital condition.

Now my DS situation is different but when we went for the appointment they told me that people rarely come with so much information and it makes a big difference in how the cases are handled. We were told the reports went through an initial once over, and then were submitted to a panel of doctors who either make a determination or begin to request data from all our doctors to verify all the information. Since I had very clear cut issues and paperwork, I don't think they needed to go that far with our case. I would imagine with hers they will so it make take some time. I'm thinking they said we should hear something in 90 days. If she brings xrays be prepared to forfeit them, so have copies.

i got ssi right off and i heard that i was one of the lucky ones that didnt have to fight. that is what ssi wants you to do they want you to not fight. keep on them till you get it. after a while of you appealing they will probably give it. here in tx we have a group called advocacy inc wich is just an advocate group to help out in any situation without having to pay them. try that too. hope this helps

I know that SSI (at least for adults) is only for those with low (or no) income and little assets.

When my mental illness first reared it's ugly head 20 years ago, I spent a year on state assistance (WA calls it General Assistance Unemployable), before I became eligible for Social Security Disability and a small amount of SSI (because I had not worked enough, yet, for full benefits). Qualifying for Medicaid and Medicare is also important in a country where your health insurance is dependant on your employment.

With advances in medication, my illness became controlled enough to start a new career. I know this is not a possiblility for all people with various disabilities.

My advice is to fill out all of the paperwork and learn everything you can about what help is available. Don't be afraid to ask for help or just set the mail aside for a day if it becomes too hard.

I got it for my back, but it took 3 years, we almost lost everything, I think they hope it will drag on so long that if there is any possibility you can work, that you give up and get a job so you can eat, I honestly don't know how people survive waiting if they aren't married. now w/ that said i believe some states are easier then others, I live in Nj, good luck, Lyn

Appylying can be very depressing because you must emphasize everything that you cannot do-go into detail...

Examples:
I cannot get up from a chair without someone physically grabbing my arms and lifting...
I fall an average of 5 times a day and must call to have someone pick me up
I can't put on my shoes
I cannot walk down the hall without bracing against it for support and pausing to rest every 10 feet (be sure to mention pain or use of cane/walker)
Driving issues/eating/dressing/bathing/toileting-everything

Mention fatigue & pain
Mention how condition has changed since working...

Something to be aware of is that everything s counted as an 'asset'-your car(s), computer, TV...

Any money you save is counted against you as income...But you can charge as much on a credit card as you want. Also if someone buys you groceries, pays your bills, or gives you money you have to report it. And if I make $50 they'll cut my check by $100 and if I make much more then that I could lose insurance (I don't know your states spending cap)...The system has a lot of flaws...

It's a fight but it can be one-if you require a wheelchair it's a bit easier...

Christamae

Wow. After reading these, I realize my DH was one of the lucky ones.
The other posters are correct when they tell you to include as much information as possible. Be perfectly honest about everything. For my DH, it was things that he wouldn't admit to normally such as not being able to shave everyday because he couldn't stand in front of the mirror for that length of time. It seemed harder to admit his actual inabilities to himself.

I want to say that we filled out the application, was asked to go see one of their doctors that took a bunch of xrays, and we had the answer a couple of months later. Whole process took about 5 months I think. My DH has severe osteoarthritis. A friend's mom also went through a similar process and was approved on the first try. Both were SSD. Not sure if the vetting process is easier than SSI??

Good Luck to your friend. I'll keep her in my thoughts and prayers. Its not a fun process for anyone.

From what I've heard it *is* a bit easier to qualify for SSDI than SSI. SSI for children is much easier to get than for adults which never made sense to me. What child is supposed to have or need income to support themselves or their family? ( Not to start a flame war...I do realize what it's used for with children, but the point is that why should it be more difficult for adults?) For adults you must prove with either one that you cannot perform ANY job with a substantial income- their idea of substantial income used to be $500 a month. At least with SSI people typically receive Medicaid...those with SSDI must wait 2 years after qualifying to receive Medicare unless they are also low income. I wish our elected officials would spend some time trying to live on what is received. ---Kathy

I just wanted to say mine was for SSD, I had worked in hospitals for 21 years. however since I had sucha a hard time, we decided to start Justin's process for SSI, because I wanted to have the process rolling when he is not on our insurance ect. well he still hasn't been approved, it will be 2 years dec and in that time he was out of school 6 months,because of his health, he is back now, had pacemaker surgery and open heart surgery (his4th), some states are just mean :o( So my advice is to start as soon as you can, Lyn www.caringbridge.org/nj/justinw

My dd (she is 8 yrs. old) received SSI. My dh and I applied for her when she was 2 months old. She was born with a rare congenital heart defect and after her first open heart surgery at 1 month old, she ended up with a very bad bacterial infection where she almost died. The hosp. had to keep her in for another 2 months, due to the high doses of IV antibiotics and packing her incision 3 times a day.
I applied for her for SSI at the time of her nasty infection( at 2 months old). By the grace of God, she got approved on the first try! Actually, I think the hosp. did most of the paperwork initially and either the hosp. or I mailed in the paperwork. Then when dd got out of the hosp., we had to transfer all our SSI paperwork to our local SS office. The caseworker I have been dealing with at our local SS office is a nasty bugger!
We did get SSI for some time and with SSI for babies and children,it is based on the parents income. But my dd's SSI caseworker gave us hell for a few yrs!! I'm not kidding. I've came to the conclusion that SSI just doesn't want to give out the money, or at least this is how our caseworker is.
I've unfortunately had to fight for the money, money that was approved to dd.
And yes,when you get reviewed, either the financial review and the disability review, you have to write everything and very specifically. This is what I learned on my own. I have had many financial reviews with my dd's caseworker over the phone. And she also asks to send in bank statements all the time.About 3 or 4 yrs. ago, our SSI caseworker actually harrassed me and dh on the phone at 7AM about something with our finances, more than once!!!! I told her to never call me that early or harass me on the phone.
Recently, my dh has had a small promotion at work, so no more SSI checks for now! Yea! As you can see, I'm happy with that, because of all the abuse and harassment from my dd's caseworker.
I don't know why these SSI government caseworkers are so nasty. I don't know if mine was the only one, but she shouldn't be doing this type of work if she can't have a little kindness and compassion.

Virgo 10, I know my story probably scared you and your friend, but I hope everything goes well with your friend applying for SSI. Just remember, everything needs to be precise and specific when doing the paperwork and the reviews. And hope your friend gets assigned a decent caseworker!

Rosemarie :flower:

I think there is a difference between SSI and SSDI. I was on partial disability from work when I became unable to work at all. My work's disability insurance company insisted I apply for SSD. I am not low income. I did apply on line through the Socia;l Security web site. I had a phone interview and my doctors were contacted. I was approved. I was surprised because I had heard that it was automatic to be denied the first time applying. It seemed important that I documented all my problems and how they limited my ability to do daily activities.
Good luck to your friend.

I would never flame anyone, child or adult, who qualified for SSD (based on work history and disability) or SSI (based on low income and disability). I KNOW what you have to go through to qualify for both. It is humiliating to describe your inability to support or care for yourself.

Currently I am so prould to be able to support my myself (except for paying for my medications and healthcare). Disney is always my first choice when I can afford a vacation, because it feels so safe and welcoming. :earsgirl:

I cannot comment on SSI as I qualified for SSDS, but I can tell your friend to not give up and definately hire a lawyer who specializes in Social Security. the law (FED) ststed that they can only be paid 20% of the initial award or a max of $5300. That is very little when you consider what you get over the period of your lifetime. They do not receive pay upfront but out of the first settlement check. I gladly would have paid my lawyer double that for how he treated me and how quickly he got things rolling after he took over. i had waited over 2 yrs for an appeal in the courts. These folks do this every day for a living. they do not get a cent unless they win for you and they make it their business to know their way around the court and the law. You are cheating yourself if you do not hire one...... Good luck and God Bless.....

The suggestion to fill all paperwork in advance and be very detailed is important. Bring all documentation, copies, not originals. Keep a copy of the docs you fill out for the SSA. Also, bring someone with you to take notes and help you in the process. You want someone else to 'witness' what they tell you and help you remember what they tell you they need. Keep good records of everything and whenever you give them a document, have them date stamp a copy and give that to you to show you provided it and when.

When I applied for DD, I had the originals of everything (I was told they had to be originals), but I had gone to a copy place and made a complete copy of everything for them (all the documentation and also a copy of the application for my records).
I organized the packets of documents in the same order as the application form, so that as the SS worker went thru the form and asked for "proof" of something, it was right there in order. It also helped for us each to have a packet of documents to look at. If she asked something, I had exactly the same thing in front of me.
She did say that most people are not so organized, which leads to denials or requests for more information.

Several people I have talked to recommended she write a personal letter to be handed in including all the information about her health problems. Did any of you do this?

She also won't have any forms until she has her initial appointment. It sounds important for her to take time to fill these out. The appointment was given to her so quickly that she would not have had time to get her doctor's reports. All but one are in a different state. Can you ask them to let you bring these forms home to fill out?

I'm just trying to give her an idea of what this first meeting might be like.

Thanks for all the great ideas.

Virgo10 said:
Several people I have talked to recommended she write a personal letter to be handed in including all the information about her health problems. Did any of you do this?

She also won't have any forms until she has her initial appointment. It sounds important for her to take time to fill these out. The appointment was given to her so quickly that she would not have had time to get her doctor's reports. All but one are in a different state. Can you ask them to let you bring these forms home to fill out?

I'm just trying to give her an idea of what this first meeting might be like.

Thanks for all the great ideas.
We were sent the forms before the meeting and told to bring them (completely filled out) with us.
You can go online
to the SS site to fill out forms. That page has a "Starter Kit" that answers common questions about applying and what information you will need.

They will have her sign a release of information so that SS can contact all her doctors to get information, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having contacted the doctors.

SueM in MN said:
We were sent the forms before the meeting and told to bring them (completely filled out) with us.
You can go online
to the SS site to fill out forms. That page has a "Starter Kit" that answers common questions about applying and what information you will need.

They will have her sign a release of information so that SS can contact all her doctors to get information, so I wouldn't worry too much about not having contacted the doctors.

Thanks for the reply. She is applying for SSI and we were told that has to be done in the SS office and that she couldn't do it online.

The appointment is this Wednesday and it should be interesting. I will be going with her so I'll tell all of you what happened.

Virgo10 said:
Thanks for the reply. She is applying for SSI and we were told that has to be done in the SS office and that she couldn't do it online.

The appointment is this Wednesday and it should be interesting. I will be going with her so I'll tell all of you what happened.
At least the website should give some ideas of what they are looking for. The general info on the forms should all have some similarities.

I am in the process of applying for SSDI. I started in Feb 2005 and was denied once already and am in the appeals process. I hired a lawyer for the appeal. I have fibromyalgia and it is extremely hard to "prove" and get SSDI for this condition. I have a appointment with disability doctors the 17th and 23rd of this month. Once I got a lawyer things started moving a lot faster so I highly recommend one. They do not charge you until they win your case and they take the money out of the Back pay check.
Take care,
Jen

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter