Star Wars: Galactic Starship (resort experience) News

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like the experience being described here is just a little on the extreme side towards going full out niche.

While I think it would be cool to be whisked from the airport by R2D2, called Han Solo for 3 days, get total immersion, I don't think that that $1000/night pie is that big.

Wouldn't a nicely themed SW resort with exclusive access (in the form of 2 FP's), an optional other exclusive activity such as a dinner or something, at around $500/night be a much bigger pie? I mean the cast members will still be in character, and you still get a little part, but will it really be so immersive that you will be shutting out Disney Springs? Where a family can use their 7 day pass but come back to this nicely themed resort? Am I just not getting it?

As a double-geek (Star Wars & Finance/numbers), I would KILL to know what their thinking is on market segments and their sizes, deliberations going into setting pricing, etc., etc., etc. :hyper:

Of course the Star Wars nuts will be there...they're delivering extra pizzas as we speak and cutting their daily product ration in half....

I'm having some really interesting thoughts about this potential issue. The general partying thing too. SW fans and parties are just part of the deal. Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting. SW fans do things a certain way, they are already plotting how they are going to do them the SAME way at WDW. Hold on to your pearls...

If WDW wanted to print money and they truly run this as a cruise outfit - I wonder if they'd be a premium priced singles event.

All just me speculating...and salivating.

I feel like the experience being described here is just a little on the extreme side towards going full out niche.

While I think it would be cool to be whisked from the airport by R2D2, called Han Solo for 3 days, get total immersion, I don't think that that $1000/night pie is that big.

Wouldn't a nicely themed SW resort with exclusive access (in the form of 2 FP's), an optional other exclusive activity such as a dinner or something, at around $500/night be a much bigger pie? Where a family can use their 7 day pass but come back to this nicely themed resort? Am I just not getting it?
Agree as described, but... I could see them tailoring the experience:
  • Full-geek (you have a serious role to play -- dress up -- the whole nine)
  • Half-geek (visitor in geek-land, enjoying watching that show and whatever perks like maybe exclusive SWL time, etc.)
  • ... you get my point
:D

ETA: Like a cruise with add-ons... like with DCL you can add decorations/gifts/etc. to your stateroom, dinner at Remy, excursions)... A thought.

Agree as described, but... I could see them tailoring the experience:
  • Half-geek (visitor in geek-land, enjoying watching that show and whatever perks like maybe exclusive SWL time, etc.)
  • ... you get my point

Yeah, that's where I see a $500/night initial price, with the option to turn up the geekness.

Wouldn't a nicely themed SW resort with exclusive access (in the form of 2 FP's), an optional other exclusive activity such as a dinner or something, at around $500/night be a much bigger pie? I mean the cast members will still be in character, and you still get a little part, but will it really be so immersive that you will be shutting out Disney Springs? Where a family can use their 7 day pass but come back to this nicely themed resort? Am I just not getting it?

It's all about demand. The demand for these types of SW "exclusive" things are there, from the hardcore fans and the upper middle income fam with little Asher who is a huge fan so they'll drop a few grand on the experience. I don't *think* and none of us know, that WDW is going for a casual SW thing. This is totally different, for the largest fandom (I can't think of one bigger at least, maybe wrong) in the world...I mean what do people spend on superball tickets? I know for the Stanley Cup for a couple to go to a game for a simple date it was like $800, and that was just a few hours of entertainment.

Yeah, that's where I see a $500/night initial price, with the option to turn up the geekness.

I love your "turn up the geek" thing. If they half-butt this though, they'll lose the hardcore base they're counting on I think. If rando (not a typo) family is walking through their "scene" in the cantina, you lose them. They'll just rent a hotel suite and build a catina for a weekend...not that I've been a part of that kind of thing. Ask me about my neighborhood! I swear I live somewhere cool, that's all I got though, guys.

It's all about demand. The demand for these types of SW "exclusive" things are there, from the hardcore fans and the upper middle income fam with little Asher who is a huge fan so they'll drop a few grand on the experience. I don't *think* and none of us know, that WDW is going for a casual SW thing. This is totally different, for the largest fandom (I can't think of one bigger at least, maybe wrong) in the world...I mean what do people spend on superball tickets? I know for the Stanley Cup for a couple to go to a game for a simple date it was like $800, and that was just a few hours of entertainment.

#Smashville

Yeah, I just am struggling that little Asher's parents are going to want to tune out most of WDW and trade it for this.

But perhaps their will be a package for them that allows a different type of experience.

It's fun to speculate.

If this is such a hit, does Disney start planning a 5th gate around it? If any IP in the world could probably be a dedicated gate, it's this.

Seriously, from your keyboard to the Disney Board (get it!) ears (mickey, obviously).

ETA: While I'm making my christmas list, they can automate everything or use droids to deal with the labor issues.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if they have the space for it, but that would be a nice addition. But that would probably take away from the storybased thing they are going with.

"After you put SPF 70 on sir you need to help me negotiate a treaty with the Galactic Senate near the water slide."

If its a cruise ship/mystery dinner type mashup then there is definitely room for it. As for size, I keep forgetting how big Disney pools are, but the capacity for this one is smaller. Would love an astromech giving me a towel as I exited the pool :D Though it would be awesome to be a clear bottom infinity pool with the same space illusion as the windows.

I'm also curious why they aren't doing this in Anaheim?...since they have that redevelopment deal with Anaheim/Orange County in place
A recent article listed Orlando as the Most Affordable US travel destination:
https://smartasset.com/credit-cards/most-affordable-travel-destinations-2017
Note there are NO California locations in the Top 10 list from the article.

If the Star Wars resort does well, they could possibly create a MARVEL resort in Anaheim.
They probably can't create a MARVEL resort east of the Mississippi river due to the Universal contract.

A recent article listed Orlando as the Most Affordable US travel destination:
https://smartasset.com/credit-cards/most-affordable-travel-destinations-2017
Note there are NO California locations in the Top 10 list from the article.

If the Star Wars resort does well, they could possibly create a MARVEL resort in Anaheim.
They probably can't create a MARVEL resort east of the Mississippi river due to the Universal contract.

Oooh, that would be fun! Not as great as Star Wars, but would have to try :D There seems to be a big outcry of "why not Harry Potter?" with this announcement, so I am sure Universal is eyeing the possibility. Would be interesting to see what type of trend this starts.

That had me Google and I found this article:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-hotel/

The resort would offer a two-day story set in the Star Wars galaxy, where you would be surrounded in a continuous, story-driven entertainment experience as it unfolds over the course of the stay. You would be able to have personal interactions with Star Warscharacters and live performers throughout the starship. And it’s your choice to experience the story by actively participating or just observing the action.

Guests could engage in the story with programs such as flight training, ship exploration, lightsaber training, and personalized secret missions, both on the starship resort and throughout the upcoming Star Wars-themed land at the Hollywood Studios theme park.

The proposed hotel would offer all inclusive meals during your stay: buffet breakfasts, lunches, and signature evening dining, along with featured entertainment and dinner shows. A two-day visit would include five meals total, including two buffet breakfasts, one lunch, and two signature dinners with evening entertainment. This is the kind of package that Disney is already offering on the Disney Cruise ships and they are excellent at it.

Staying at the starship hotel would give guests exclusive park admission to the still unnamed Star Wars Land (set to open in 2019), as well as other amenities, including a pool and water garden, fitness area, onboard cantina, and…robotic droid Butlers?! Each room can accommodate up to 4 people and would feature an interactive “view” of either the galaxy or pool/atrium.

The survey suggests the experience would be priced at roughly $900 to $1000 per guest

That had me Google and I found this article:

http://www.slashfilm.com/star-wars-hotel/
This is my "full-geek" and "half-geek" options, basically:

"And it’s your choice to experience the story by actively participating or just observing the action."

I could see them tailoring the experience:
  • ... you get my point

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter