Stepping out of rides

Riatadog

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone,

I leave for Disney in 2 weeks and am still having difficulty (4 weeks out from arthroscopic knee surgery)with standing up unassisted (chairs without arms) or from seats that are low. Seems I don’t have a lot of strength in my knees yet. Can anyone help with height of steps getting out of boat rides like Pirates. Ie from floor of boat to seat and seat to loading platform. I can bend my knee fine just hard to push off to stand or step up high. Really looking forward to trip but nervous about rides. Thanks!

One trick a lot of us who have mobility disabilities use is to use the bench/seat as a step to get in/out.

Something else to be cautious with is any of the attractions with plexiglass on the ride vehicles, the plexiglass makes it harder to get in and out.

DH has bad knees and here are what he has to be cautious with:
  • Jungle Cruise - Make sure they tie off the boat and at bare minimum ask for assistance with the step down and up. Alternatively they do have an accessible boat where you can remain in your ECV or wheelchair. (I am assuming you will be in a mobility device, probably bad for me to assume that though, so I will try to provide information either way)
  • Pirates - a decent sized step, but doable, just make sure they know you will need extra time and have another member of your party offer a hand if necessary.
  • Splash Mountain - Pretty large step that is unavoidable, the hand rails help. If you aren't using a mobility device, let them know you will need the alternative entrance, as there isn't Plexiglass dividers between rows on the exit side, but we think there was on the load side.
  • Big Thunder - There is a transfer row where no step will be necessary.
  • Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid & Buzz - let them know you will need the ramp stopped. Do not just ask for it.to be slowed like DH did on the last trip, that turned out to be a mistake.
  • Small world - best to remain in a wheelchair if possible, the seats are too low on the accessible vehicle for DH to get out of. The regular vehicle he can do, but it is the same height as Pirates
  • Peter Pan - This last trip they offered to stop the belt during the middle of the day for DH, he refused and was ok on this, but haven't had them offer to stop the belt there before.
  • Winnie the Pooh - there is no major step in our out, there is also an accessible vehicle.
  • Dumbo - there is an accessible vehicle, just be sure to ask specifically for it
  • Teacups - Has a step in and out
  • Indy Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Goody's Bar Stormer - not sure as we have never done these
  • Space Mountain - Seats are so low it is hard to get back up
  • Main Street Transportation - all have a step, but if you have a mobility device, they will take you on a round trip if you ask politely, even if normally.one way only.
  • Spaceship Earth - they can stop of you need, DH is usually ok, just take the back row of the car, the door is slightly wider and easier to use. We think there is also an accessible vehicle, but have never seen it used, so not positive.
  • Mission Space - Slight step up. Note: Make sure you are properly hydrated prior to riding.
  • Test Track - The non accessible loading area is easier to step in and out, but has a shorter time limit in which to do so.
  • Mexico Boat Ride - see Small World
  • Frozen - very large step and even harder with the plexiglass dividers (which they say not to touch) installed on the ride vehicles and handrails. DH will ask if they have assistance next time as we only did this once on our last trip and was sore enough afterwards he was pretty.much done with rides for the day.
  • Journey into Imagination with Figment - no step
  • Soarin - no step
  • Living with the land - option to have no step down, DH actually finds it easier in there other rows with the slight step down, YMMV
  • Finding Nemo - small step, but there is an accessible vehicle.
  • Tower of Terror - no step if in the front row
  • Rockin Roller Coaster - extremely.large step, but you can ask for the transfer seat that reduces it.
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway - no step as we recall, there is also a transfer seat if needed.
  • Star Tours - no step in the front row
  • Rise of the Resistance - small step, but they can open the side of the vehicle and it makes it easier.
  • Smugglers run - no step
  • Aliens swirling saucers - small step
  • Slinky dog dash - no step as we recall, but for DH the restraint is hard on the knees and he has to be careful about when he rides it.
  • Toy Story Mania - no step, accessible vehicle available
  • Navi River Journey - there is a bit of a step in and out, they do have assistance available and DH will ask for it next time if plexiglass dividers are still installed.
  • Flights of Passage - DH doesn't fit, but while there is no step, you do need to straddle the ride vehicle and knees get squeezed by the ride vehicles, which could cause issues.
  • Kilimanjaro Safari - no step, accessible vehicle available
  • Train to Rafikis Planet watch - no step if in mobility device, otherwise only the back row is open and a step up is required.
  • Rapids Ride - step down as we recall, don't remember if assistance is available as it has been a while.
  • Expedition Everest - minor step down, but DH finds the back left seat the easiest.
We can't necessarily provide exact dimensions, but this is what we have found, hopefully the information is helpful.

You asked if anyone could help you get out of the seat?
I don't think CM's are allowed to assist anyone in or out of the ride vehicles,so you would have to get out by yourself or if you are with someone else. I believe that is to prevent injury or law suits with their CM's.

You asked if anyone could help you get out of the seat?
I don't think CM's are allowed to assist anyone in or out of the ride vehicles,so you would have to get out by yourself or if you are with someone else. I believe that is to prevent injury or law suits with their CM's.
The one exception DH had was Jungle Cruise, the CMs made sure he knew they were there to help if needed.

But if you have another member of your party, they can certainly assist.

The one exception DH had was Jungle Cruise, the CMs made sure he knew they were there to help if needed.

But if you have another member of your party, they can certainly assist.
I often travel solo. With bilateral knee replacements, I have good flex but not a lot of strength in the leg joints. Getting out of any attraction can be a challenge. Love Jungle Cruise since CM’s are always so helpful. Otherwise I generally use the “grab anything I can, and pull/push myself out” method... though I go slowly I can generally manage.

Remember that using a cane may help - and if your cane is adjustable, try lowering it to closer to the height you are sitting at to help create leverage.

DH is bringing a cane along with his wheel chair, I was thinking it would help with some rides. I don't understand what you are suggesting. One of the rides he might go on is POC. How would he adjust the cane to assist getting out. Normally, he would stand up, step up on seat and then pull him self up with the gate dividers. What should he do different? Use the cane to stand up as a first step? I'm trying to keep one step ahead of the game, so when he says I can't do that ride, I can say, we can do this and this to make it easier.

DH is bringing a cane along with his wheel chair, I was thinking it would help with some rides. I don't understand what you are suggesting. One of the rides he might go on is POC. How would he adjust the cane to assist getting out. Normally, he would stand up, step up on seat and then pull him self up with the gate dividers. What should he do different? Use the cane to stand up as a first step? I'm trying to keep one step ahead of the game, so when he says I can't do that ride, I can say, we can do this and this to make it easier.
I use a cane to help get up but also to steady myself to step up and out of boats but also to steady myself getting out of ride onto moving ramps. I would have him practice using a cane to get up from chair at home to standing. how it helps getting as it gives you something to steady with with one hand while other hand uses the railing to step up at least for me. hope this helps you some way

I believe what they were suggesting was using a folding cane with height adjustment or regular cane with height adjustment so you can raise or lower height of cane.

I believe what they were suggesting was using a folding cane with height adjustment or regular cane with height adjustment so you can raise or lower height of cane.

So, @Riatadog is exactly right - My response was relating to when someone needs help standing up from the lower benches in some rides; some people need a bit of extra assistance with standing because they don't have the ability to rise from a very low seated position.

If your hubby can stand up from a low, seated position, then you probably won't need to worry about my tip - but if you want to help him see what some of the ride vehicles actually look like, there is a fabulous YouTube channel called Pammie Plus Parks and she has LOTS of videos of rides at WDW that show the ride vehicles, and how to get in/out of them. I know that my hubby is one of those guys who just does better when he knows what to expect! 🙂

The plexiglass dividers may protect us from Covid but it caused me to fall on Frozen. No place to grab. Haven’t been on since.

Thought about asking for front row. Not sure if that will help. May never get to go to Arindale again.

So, @Riatadog is exactly right - My response was relating to when someone needs help standing up from the lower benches in some rides; some people need a bit of extra assistance with standing because they don't have the ability to rise from a very low seated position.

If your hubby can stand up from a low, seated position, then you probably won't need to worry about my tip - but if you want to help him see what some of the ride vehicles actually look like, there is a fabulous YouTube channel called Pammie Plus Parks and she has LOTS of videos of rides at WDW that show the ride vehicles, and how to get in/out of them. I know that my hubby is one of those guys who just does better when he knows what to expect! 🙂

We have been on most rides in the parks. It just over the years the list has gotten smaller and smaller. And what was ok 18 months ago , may not work now. I think I'll bring the cane on rides just in case. I so want to get him on some rides for the grandkids sake. I want them to have the memories. Of course, I don't want him in pain and such, but sometime a small kick in the pants, if enough to get over the fear. Most rides like any of the mountains are out of the question, but we'll do what we can.

Thank you.

The plexiglass dividers may protect us from Covid but it caused me to fall on Frozen. No place to grab. Haven’t been on since.

Thought about asking for front row. Not sure if that will help. May never get to go to Arindale again.
Did you report the fall? Really, the one thing DH didn't do that he wishes he did last trip was to stop at guest relations and let them know how hard the plexiglass made getting in and out of this ride. Most others were workable, more difficult but workable, Frozen is almost impossible.

Something else to be cautious with is any of the attractions with plexiglass on the ride vehicles, the plexiglass makes it harder to get in and out.

DH has bad knees and here are what he has to be cautious with:
  • Jungle Cruise - Make sure they tie off the boat and at bare minimum ask for assistance with the step down and up. Alternatively they do have an accessible boat where you can remain in your ECV or wheelchair. (I am assuming you will be in a mobility device, probably bad for me to assume that though, so I will try to provide information either way)
  • Pirates - a decent sized step, but doable, just make sure they know you will need extra time and have another member of your party offer a hand if necessary.
  • Splash Mountain - Pretty large step that is unavoidable, the hand rails help. If you aren't using a mobility device, let them know you will need the alternative entrance, as there isn't Plexiglass dividers between rows on the exit side, but we think there was on the load side.
  • Big Thunder - There is a transfer row where no step will be necessary.
  • Haunted Mansion, Little Mermaid & Buzz - let them know you will need the ramp stopped. Do not just ask for it.to be slowed like DH did on the last trip, that turned out to be a mistake.
  • Small world - best to remain in a wheelchair if possible, the seats are too low on the accessible vehicle for DH to get out of. The regular vehicle he can do, but it is the same height as Pirates
  • Peter Pan - This last trip they offered to stop the belt during the middle of the day for DH, he refused and was ok on this, but haven't had them offer to stop the belt there before.
  • Winnie the Pooh - there is no major step in our out, there is also an accessible vehicle.
  • Dumbo - there is an accessible vehicle, just be sure to ask specifically for it
  • Teacups - Has a step in and out
  • Indy Speedway, Astro Orbiter, Goody's Bar Stormer - not sure as we have never done these
  • Space Mountain - Seats are so low it is hard to get back up
  • Main Street Transportation - all have a step, but if you have a mobility device, they will take you on a round trip if you ask politely, even if normally.one way only.
  • Spaceship Earth - they can stop of you need, DH is usually ok, just take the back row of the car, the door is slightly wider and easier to use. We think there is also an accessible vehicle, but have never seen it used, so not positive.
  • Mission Space - Slight step up. Note: Make sure you are properly hydrated prior to riding.
  • Test Track - The non accessible loading area is easier to step in and out, but has a shorter time limit in which to do so.
  • Mexico Boat Ride - see Small World
  • Frozen - very large step and even harder with the plexiglass dividers (which they say not to touch) installed on the ride vehicles and handrails. DH will ask if they have assistance next time as we only did this once on our last trip and was sore enough afterwards he was pretty.much done with rides for the day.
  • Journey into Imagination with Figment - no step
  • Soarin - no step
  • Living with the land - option to have no step down, DH actually finds it easier in there other rows with the slight step down, YMMV
  • Finding Nemo - small step, but there is an accessible vehicle.
  • Tower of Terror - no step if in the front row
  • Rockin Roller Coaster - extremely.large step, but you can ask for the transfer seat that reduces it.
  • Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway - no step as we recall, there is also a transfer seat if needed.
  • Star Tours - no step in the front row
  • Rise of the Resistance - small step, but they can open the side of the vehicle and it makes it easier.
  • Smugglers run - no step
  • Aliens swirling saucers - small step
  • Slinky dog dash - no step as we recall, but for DH the restraint is hard on the knees and he has to be careful about when he rides it.
  • Toy Story Mania - no step, accessible vehicle available
  • Navi River Journey - there is a bit of a step in and out, they do have assistance available and DH will ask for it next time if plexiglass dividers are still installed.
  • Flights of Passage - DH doesn't fit, but while there is no step, you do need to straddle the ride vehicle and knees get squeezed by the ride vehicles, which could cause issues.
  • Kilimanjaro Safari - no step, accessible vehicle available
  • Train to Rafikis Planet watch - no step if in mobility device, otherwise only the back row is open and a step up is required.
  • Rapids Ride - step down as we recall, don't remember if assistance is available as it has been a while.
  • Expedition Everest - minor step down, but DH finds the back left seat the easiest.
We can't necessarily provide exact dimensions, but this is what we have found, hopefully the information is helpful.
How nice of you to take the time and effort to outline the specifics on so many rides. This will be a nice help tool to many. :flower3::flower3::flower3:

Oh, Oh. I hadn't thought about that, but unfortunately it makes sense. But I've learned that a cane does help. I need a cane to get from my ECV to the ride, but I've learned the hard way that even though the CMs usually take my cane once I get in the ride, they DO bring it to me as soon as my ride vehicle returns so I can use the cane to help get out. I wonder what other rides besides Frozen have boats with plexiglass that make it harder/impossible to grab. If I remember, on Pirates there are poles on the landing outside the ride. How about Splash? Any others?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter