Stop using flash!

Very valid reason for wanting your own shots, and I don't think the pp was targeting that.

Your second comment IS the problem. You NOW prefer not using the flash, but would/did you use the flash in a DARK ride with your old camera? THAT is the problem. Your desire to get the perfect shot, if you use the flash, is distracting and ruining the experience for everyone else on that ride with you.
No, because the shot wouldn't have come out as intended in the first place, so it would be wasted space on my card.

In the past if I couldn't get the shot with flash in a reasonable setting (outdoors where it isn't going to interfere with the enjoyment of others), then I didn't take it. Besides, why in the world are people riding rides and taking picture during a *ride* in the first place.

I think the problem is people being ignorant and not using good sense, not people taking pictures.

I know it will never happen. What they can do is use sensors to track vehicles that used flash, identify the culprits, and as the exit stop them.

That won't happen either

It could. Triggers the system so when the vehicle is pulling in the someone at the end says something. DD worked at Soarin'. The CM who stays behind in the "tower" is watching screens of everyone. [yes it's shocking what happens on that ride] Folks wait a long time to ride Soarin' and when they disrupt the ride it ruins it for all. They had no issues with saying something to guests. One ride was so bad with two teen girls screaming the whole time like it was a thrill ride that DD almost did an E-stop, like were they in distress? But she let it go because reset takes too long and all the other guests have to wait for a re-ride ... and paperwork. So she sent a message out and guess what? A manager was waiting for the family when they got off, told the girls they ruined the ride for everyone else and expect them to check their behavior on future rides that are not thrill rides.

No guest has the right to ruin the ride for others, especially when the flash is not allowed. And yes, if your ride is ruined by another guest, ask for a re-ride, it happens.

It could. Triggers the system so when the vehicle is pulling in the someone at the end says something. DD worked at Soarin'. The CM who stays behind in the "tower" is watching screens of everyone. [yes it's shocking what happens on that ride] Folks wait a long time to ride Soarin' and when they disrupt the ride it ruins it for all. They had no issues with saying something to guests. One ride was so bad with two teen girls screaming the whole time like it was a thrill ride that DD almost did an E-stop, like were they in distress? But she let it go because reset takes too long and all the other guests have to wait for a re-ride ... and paperwork. So she sent a message out and guess what? A manager was waiting for the family when they got off, told the girls they ruined the ride for everyone else and expect them to check their behavior on future rides that are not thrill rides.

No guest has the right to ruin the ride for others, especially when the flash is not allowed. And yes, if your ride is ruined by another guest, ask for a re-ride, it happens.
the CM can say something but they won't take the phone/camera away

As a photography hobbyist, I love taking my camera and lenses to WDW. In fact, WDW is one of the best (and most challenging) places to photograph.

The rules clearly state "no flash photography" in dark rides. Not only does it ruin it for the other riders, the flash photo turns out terrible as the lighting designed by the imagineers for the particular scene is washed out.

For those that say there are a million pictures online of "such and such", please remember that those photos are the property of the photographer. If you download or copy them without permission you are essentially stealing, which to me is worse than shooting off your flash in a ride (but not by much).

Also a hobby photographer, but playing devil's advocate here, those who don't have more than one lens (me, because I desperately want to upgrade to full-frame), you'd have to make a choice between having a photo with a washed out effect or not having a photo. Not an excuse but maybe the logic behind a small percentage of these folks.

It amazes me that people need to photograph so many things that already have great pictures online. Like when people hold up phones & iPads to record firework shows. Come on- you can see all of those on You Tube, quite nicely filmed.
People need to put their gadgets down for a few minutes and enjoy real life experiences. And not ruin things for other guests.
I have no desire to watch someone else's ride footage -- but we'll watch ours over and over. The value in filming the fireworks is in hearing the random things your kids say in the background, or catching their look, and thinking back on the good times. Even like the PP mentioned, a pic of the Washington Monument... You're not capturing the image of "it"... you're preserving a memory of when you were there with your family. That pic might trigger thoughts of how it rained, or was so hot, or about the drive, or about where you ate that day, or what your kids said... The pics are cool by me.

The big tablet screens are over the top tho. I guess if you're set on seeing a parade, you should line up early and make it a priority so you're not behind those people. One thing I do is if I'm in a front row, I crouch down! This helps tons of people behind me see as well.

Disney did ban selfie sticks which was a good move, but I don't see them banning large tablets. So many people need them for various reasons.

Last edited:
What I'm trying to say is that people are so focused on keeping the details within the viewfinder, that they're not looking at the viewfinder, itself. They're not enjoying the attraction or the show, but making sure everything is in focus.

Why? Why not just enjoy the attraction? Why not enjoy the show? They're missing out solely on the fact that they want to feel included. But by wanting to feel included, they're missing everything.

Enjoy Pirates of the Caribbean or Space Mountain or Happily Ever After the way it was supposed to be enjoyed, with your eyes.

Enjoy Disney for what it is. Walt and the imagineers worked tirelessly to immerse people in Disney magic. Trying to film every moment takes you out of the immersion and you just become "another person with a cell phone"

Happily Ever After had already been filmed, a lot, and it's all over YouTube. Disney did it, DIS Unplugged did it, 20 other bloggers did it, and that was all on the first night! Some of them used professional level photography equipment to catch all the detail. Why would I want to watch your iPad version?

I'm not saying don't ever take pictures. Photo pass is there for a reason. They'll even take pictures with your own phone if you ask! Take happy pictures with lunch or that perfect spot in front on Cinderella's Castle. Just don't let it be all you do in Disney.
I find this funny. Not once, when taking photos of fireworks, have I had issues with blocking people's views, nor have I had issues with having to watch through my viewfinder. IF YOure taking general shots like I do, you point at the sky and the watch...with your eyes. Directly. You squeeze the shutter button a set you see fit and then review what comes out later.

I miss nothing, and I'm not watching through a viewfinder or on a screen. Instead, I'm watching just like every other person, while still getting my own unique shots.

There are ways to take photos without being a jerk. Again, I think you're complaint should be about ignorance/inconsideration and not about people taking photos.

I believe c but not a or b. A- it's pretty obvious. B- lots of places prohibit flash so I think most people know the function exists.

(But c- I've shown my mother how to do it a few times a month and she still forgets.)

How bout d: people are too lazy to turn auto off. Or don't realize what auto does.
Or some people just don't have any consideration for others and don't care because it's all about them....sad.....

the CM can say something but they won't take the phone/camera away

I took that quote that he thought they could identify the culprit to address, I didn't realize he wanted the phone taken. No of course that won't happen but no reason Disney can't curb behavior. One of my biggest issues with Disney isn't the cost or lines etc, it's the lack of control of behaviors. Guests know they are doing wrong, and they will continue it until it is addressed.

Also a hobby photographer, but playing devil's advocate here, those who don't have more than one lens (me, because I desperately want to upgrade to full-frame), you'd have to make a choice between having a photo with a washed out effect or not having a photo. Not an excuse but maybe the logic behind a small percentage of these folks.

I have multiple cameras of all levels of capacity and multiple lens. I am often there with just my cellphone. No, it's not an excuse. The reason for no flash is it changes the set, it changes the colors/lighting, flashes show things that are not visible without. So guest has a photo of something that isn't the experience of the attraction and in meanwhile has ruined the view for others. And honestly many of the new cell phones take darn good picture without any flash.

I find this funny. Not once, when taking photos of fireworks, have I had issues with blocking people's views, nor have I had issues with having to watch through my viewfinder. IF YOure taking general shots like I do, you point at the sky and the watch...with your eyes. Directly. You squeeze the shutter button a set you see fit and then review what comes out later.

I miss nothing, and I'm not watching through a viewfinder or on a screen. Instead, I'm watching just like every other person, while still getting my own unique shots.

There are ways to take photos without being a jerk. Again, I think you're complaint should be about ignorance/inconsideration and not about people taking photos.

I agree, I have also taped and I have not blocked anyone's view because I am courteous. I set up against a wall or rail or I hold my device in front of my chest, neck etc while I watch above it. Problem is MANY hold their phone, tablet etc up in the air so they don't block their own view but sadly they are blocking others.

To many, the "little light" (AKA "flash") is just a part of the "way it works.",
"Oh, its always on. I take so many pictures and films (sic) that I don't even notice it."

They literally have no concept that it is controllable.
(Much less, that it is totally ineffectual at all but the closest-distance photos.)

This! So this!

The ones who don't realize that the little flash in a camera phone (and many point-and-clicks) isn't powerful enough to work more than 5 feet are usually the same ones who don't know how to, or that they can, turn it off. Often it will ruin the picture (bouncing off the plexiglass in the HM or something)

Of course, as others have noted...they can *see* the flash, and should just stop using it. But rude people never see themselves as being rude.

This! So this!

The ones who don't realize that the little flash in a camera phone (and many point-and-clicks) isn't powerful enough to work more than 5 feet are usually the same ones who don't know how to, or that they can, turn it off. Often it will ruin the picture (bouncing off the plexiglass in the HM or something)

Of course, as others have noted...they can *see* the flash, and should just stop using it. But rude people never see themselves as being rude.
I'll buy that excuse ONLY on camera phones, since sometimes the interface is hidden. There is normally a button or switch on point-and-shoots that controls the flash, and it's very obvious. Since the earliest days of point-and-shoots having flash there has ALWAYS been a clearly labeled switch the turns the flash on and off. If you're never turning your flash off on your point-and-shoot, or heaven forbid, your DSLR, there's an 9/10 chance that you just don't care. I will always allot one mistake shot for every person, I've done it, my Mom and Dad have done it, heck, my wedding photographer did it, but beyond that one shot, you're just being a jerk.

Meh, I used to have to do this with my old camera. It didn't have image stabilization and photos without the flash would come out blurry. With the flash they'd be clear and crisp and just a better overall image. So this I can totally understand.

My current camera had much better image stabilization, and I tend to prefer photos taken without flash now.

Sorry but I am a bit confused by your response. Are you saying the because your old camera did not have image stabilization and you needed a flash to get clear and crisp pictures that it was ok to take those flash pictures and ruin the ride or show for everyone else. Because you don't have a great camera is still no excuse to use flash photography, especially when you are asked, no told, that flash photography is not permitted.

Can you clarify for me so that I am sure I understand you correctly. Thanks

It is possible that a person doesn't realize there is a flash, or they don't know how to turn it off.
It is not possible to know your flash is on after you take a picture and it flashes. At that point, you stop taking photos, or you figure out how to turn your flash off.
I used my flash once on a ride, POTC, but we were stopped for awhile and people were were asking what was up ahead, we were the first boat so I took a pic so people could see in front of us.

Sorry but I am a bit confused by your response. Are you saying the because your old camera did not have image stabilization and you needed a flash to get clear and crisp pictures that it was ok to take those flash pictures and ruin the ride or show for everyone else. Because you don't have a great camera is still no excuse to use flash photography, especially when you are asked, no told, that flash photography is not permitted.

Can you clarify for me so that I am sure I understand you correctly. Thanks
If it was a daylight photo of something like the castle, I absolutely did. I don't take photos on rides generally unless it's something slow like Nemo, but I wouldn't have used the flash then because 1: I would have had the ride vehicle to stabilize the shot, and 2: using a flash in a dim ride defeats the point of the photo because you lose all the lighting effects.

So no, I wasn't one of the jerks ruining things for others, but if in a well lit area I needed the flash for a good photo, I would absolutely use it.

I can see the newspaper headline if Disney took action against these people:

"Disney Removing Guests Who Flash in Parks"

:rolleyes1

It wouldn't be wrong either way....

(I can see my teary-eyed reaction to being removed because I forgot just once that I had used my flash on some close up of something small the night before. You'd be able to fill POTC with my tears, lol.)

Boy did you hit a sore spot with me. I am so tired of rides stopping to warn people no flash photograpy, having their devices on and illuminating an otherwise intended dark ride such as the Haunted Mansion, standing with arms outreached to take a video in front of me blocking my view of parades, fireworks, etc. I am especially upset over what I consider an infringement on my ability to enjoy the experiance. Why do these people have to take so many pictures? I can understand taking a picture of you and your loved ones in front of the castle, with a character, ect. but a picture of your breakfast? Come on man, put it down and just enjoy the day. It is entirely possible to enjoy a day at Disney or anywhere else in the world without having to capture every second of that day. I am proof it can be done. I do not own a cell phone or any other communication device that can take a picture. I do have a 35 MM camera that I use to take pictures of myself and my wife when we travel (last year we took 4 pictures at WDW) but we have found there is no need to have a picture of every meal, of every firework, of every marcher in a parade, of every animatronic in a ride, of every everything. Do you guys really look at all those shots? Yes I'm an Old Fart. Yes I liked it better when we all weren't so connected. But that is my boog-a-boo. Go ahead and keep taking your pictures, just please respect the rights and space of those around you. You are NOT the only ones there and you are NOT the only ones who spent a lot of money to be there.

I can see the newspaper headline if Disney took action against these people:

"Disney Removing Guests Who Flash in Parks"

:rolleyes1

Maybe folks think the warning/rule means for them to keep their clothes on in those dark rides?

I mean, they've had problems in the dark rides. Maybe they need to be more clear.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter