Strollers & Planes

dreamer

Mouseketeer
In the past we always gate checked our umbrella type strollers. Can we still do this or do we have to check them with the luggage?

I think it depends on which airline you are using.
I will be flying out with delta on 2/10/02:D :D
according to their web site you can bring it on.
But I would call your airlines just to be sure.

You can still do this on US, DL, CO and AA. I've flown US, DL and CO since 9/11, and seen people doing it on my plane. A friend flies AA every month with her 1 year old, and has continued to do it, no problem.

My guess is that UA also allows it, and I would think so would NW and SW. Do'nt know about the others. Best bet is to call your carrier.

Anne

We just flew SW last week and were able to check our stroller when we boarded the plan with no problem. Actually we had no problems with any flights everything went smooth. We arrived 1.5 hrs early & were fine.

I'm going to sound dumb here, but I haven't flown much. What do you mean by gate check?:)

Originally posted by Rolo
I'm going to sound dumb here, but I haven't flown much. What do you mean by gate check?:)

You take it to the gate, just before you get on the plane they put a tag on it and take it from you and put it in the hold. WHen you get off the plane it will be there waiting for you at the gate.

Anne

We were able to take the stroller all the way to the entrance of the plane & then they took it and placed in the storage under the plane. When we got off they checked our ticket & gave us the stroller back as soon as we exited the plan. (Well we had to wait about 2-3 minutes for it.)

If you want to gate check a stroller, you should ask about it when you first check in for your flight. They may tell you to ask the gate agent for a tag or they may give you one right then.
If you just take it to the plane, there is a bigger chance of the tag not being filled out correctly because it is such a busy time. When you leave your stroller, you should also make sure it is securely folded up and fastened in some way so it won't come open. If you don't fold it, the baggage handlers will and they may not know the correct way to fold your stroller.
And don't forget to pick it up after the flight. Because my DD is disabled and we have to wait for her wheelchair, we are usually the last people off the plane. We almost always see one or two strollers waiting at the gate for people who totally forgot about them.

SueM, Ducklite, and DISMOMof3, -- Thanks for the info. That will sure make our family trip a lttle easier.:D

You may also find , if you have a connecting flight, that they require a new gate check tag from the connecting airport gate check-in counter! I was sent back once after waiting in a long line to board-not fun!!

We gate check a wheelchair all the time, so I have over 16 years of experience gate checking between wheelchairs and strollers.
Another point to remember:
The gate check tags often have several choices of where you want your stroller/wheelchair or whatever brought to you. The usual checkboxes are: at the gate at your final destination, at the gate at your connecting city, at baggage claim at either place.
Make sure the check box has the choice marked that you want or you may never see your item again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter