• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Stupid guest tricks.....

WithFaith50 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I did not find anything amusing about that site :confused3 ... To me the few posts I read were just downright depressing and sad :sad2: .

I can see how you'd feel that way. From where the link takes you there are several posts that are boarderline abusive. Probably some imature CMs. But I did a little snooping around there and did find some funny stories. You'd probably find the same kind of posts behind the closed doors of our CM forum. I enjoy being a bug on the wall in this case ;)

WithFaith50 said:
Maybe it's just me, but I did not find anything amusing about that site :confused3 ... To me the few posts I read were just downright depressing and sad :sad2: .

But to each his (or her) own... :sad2:

WithFaith50
It's not just you. I didn't really find it sad...just dumb. I thought most of the posts were examples of the perfect wisdom of 20 year-olds.

The 13 things thread reminded me of a wise saying of a mentor of mine "You can tell the size of a person by the size of the thing that makes them mad." If "3 and 3" gets you going, you don't have much to worry about, IMHO.

The "Here's Your Sign" thread was a)about as UNoriginal as you can imagine, and b) the clever comebacks (most of which I'm sure never really happened) were middle-school level. If I couldn't think of anything more clever to say, I sure would keep my mouth shut.

I appreciate the CM's, but I have to wonder about the ones who are surprised when a guest with three kids around their neck, in the middle of a 12-hour Theme Park Commando exercise, gets confused about where they are.

Fortunately, I don't think the posts on that board are at all representative of most CM's, any more than their complaints are representative of the vast majority of visitors.

I hope that no one thinks that the majority of guests at Disney are like this. I can honestly say that the vast majority of guests are wonderful. They are caught up in the magic, having a good time, herding their kids, and a joy to experience. Some ask questions; some don't; some interact with CMs; some don't - no big deal.

I also wouldn't take these pearls-of wisdom as complaints. They are part of being a CM and are discussed more in "humor" than in anger. When push comes to shoove, the CMs are aware that guests often can't see the information signs as thye can get lost in the magic of the theming. Some guests simply use the "do you work here" as an ice-breaker before asking a question.

As for the "3 and 3," as the OP stated it had been a bad day, but I also know that being told a "3 and 3" hardly gets a CM riled. To put it in the CM's perspective, when a guest says "3 and 3" there are typically two reasons- they are trying to be helpful (which is great) or they are insisting that they be loaded 3 to a seat. If one's attraction loads 4 across, a party of 6 is usually split 4 and 2- which allows another party of 2 to fill the seats. Granted the single, stand by has helped this a bit, but if you have just been warned that the attraction is running behind its quota and the pace needs to increase, a "3 and 3" can mean a potential "situation" if you ask if they can sit 4 and 2. If, on the other hand, the guest says "Six but we'd like 3 and 3 if possible," the CM will usually do what they can to adjust the seating, play the statistics, and accomodate.

You are perfectly right about the "bravado" and believing that most of the "what I told the guy was...." probably never happen. If pressed to tell what they really said the response is usually "Yes, Sir, How can I help you... but I wanted to say...." Sometimes CMs will say something off-the wall (with a very big grin and only to appropriate guests) like "no, my mother just dressed me like this morning <grin> How can I hlep you?" Corny yes, but have you even listened to most of the Disney humor? After 35 years I can still recite the spiels: the jokes were as corny then as they are now

I have to agree that much of the "Sign" thread was lame. Never read the book and had no idea what they were talking about. As someone said, different strokes. But, IMHO, these attempts were not necessarily any more un-clever or un-original humor as some adults' humor.... can anyone say Hanname? :sunny:

Sorry for the long post - I will shut up now :earsboy:

I think there's something to learn from that site. It doesn't hurt to try to see something from another's point of view. It doesn't mean you have to agree.

I loved "do you have a dollar." That is believable to me.

While the Do You Have a Dollar thread was fun, I had to stop when they referenced the Stupid Snowglobe Parade. I believe in the magic. I need the magic when I get away. I know the cm's take a lot of abuse and I appreciate that they can still remain magical when it's my turn. I just can't read about it. I NEED my happy place to stay happy. I always thougth I'd love to be a fly on teh wall on the CM board. I can honestly say that does not appeal to me now.

Thanks for your insights bradder! I'm sure you've added magic to many a vacation!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter