Suggestions for hand issues

Baldy

Mouseketeer
Hello,
I am hoping for some suggestions on visiting Disney with hand dystonia. I am being treated but the side effects are muscle atrophy & significant weakness in my fingers, hands and arms. If I’m just walking around I look fine and feel fine. I am worried about getting on and off rides, being unable to open doors and riding the bus if I have to stand because I can’t hold on. Holding a plate/tray/cup can be a struggle and I frequently drop things.
I’m looking for tips, workarounds or any thoughts on where I might run into issues. I would hate to cause a scene or embarrass myself. Thanks!

Hello,
I am hoping for some suggestions on visiting Disney with hand dystonia. I am being treated but the side effects are muscle atrophy & significant weakness in my fingers, hands and arms. If I’m just walking around I look fine and feel fine. I am worried about getting on and off rides, being unable to open doors and riding the bus if I have to stand because I can’t hold on. Holding a plate/tray/cup can be a struggle and I frequently drop things.
I’m looking for tips, workarounds or any thoughts on where I might run into issues. I would hate to cause a scene or embarrass myself. Thanks!

I have a different condition but it also impacts my hand use and strength, especially trying to carry or hold onto things. Here is what I have found:

1 - You won't need to worry about standing on a bus/monorail because they aren't letting anyone stand on buses at the moment (or for the foreseeable future). They are only loading 6 parties per bus, each with assigned seats, so that won't be an issue.

2 - For opening doors, I assume you mean at the hotels. One good thing about the way WDW operates is that it has the magic bands so you aren't trying to juggle a key (keys are the bane of my existence, I swear!) and the knob etc. Most resorts also have handles rather than knobs. For me, that means I can use my forearm to press down on the lever-type handle and push the door open with my shoulder/upper arm rather than trying to grasp and turn the knob. Other than room doors, the rest (like into/out of the lobby area or food places) are either automatic or push-style with the disability button.

3 - In terms of getting on/off rides, I would say that a big part of it depends on your balance and leg/core strength/flexibility. If those things are good, you shouldn't have a problem. If they're not so great (either in general or on that specific day), you may have difficulty with certain rides. I'm thinking in particular about any of the rides where you have to get kind of down into the car or boat, like Space Mountain, Pirates, or Small World. Keep in mind that for omnimover rides (like Peter Pan, Haunted Mansion, Ariel, Nemo, etc.), you can ask the CM to slow it down so you can load if needed. Some others you may find a bit difficult to get out of because you're expected to kind of climb into and out of the vehicle (BTMRR and 7 Dwarfs Mine Train spring to mind), but again if you have good coordination and use of your legs it's do-able. I haven't found boarding most rides to be too difficult on my hands, mostly just the boat/step-down rides because I can't easily brace.

Thank you for your help. I still trying to figure out just even the basics of daily living and I’ll take any suggestions I can get
“keys are the bane of my existence, I swear!”
Me too. I’m glad I’m not the only one.

What about entering the parks? Do you find the fingerprint scanner to be an issue?

Any tips on how to work buckles, Lap bars and safety belts? I’m worried I won’t be able to get out.

Thank you for your help. I still trying to figure out just even the basics of daily living and I’ll take any suggestions I can get

What about entering the parks? Do you find the fingerprint scanner to be an issue?

Any tips on how to work buckles, Lap bars and safety belts? I’m worried I won’t be able to get out.
are you solo or with a group? thinking seatbelts and lap bars have someone in your group help with them. same with getting out. I would preplan this not leaving it up to getting on or off time. different problem but I had a problem when group went ahead at a ride where I had to switch to wheelchair and had no one to push me

It’s just me and my mum who is in her mid 70s. She has arthritis in her wrists and lower back. She is tough as nails and will walk all day, but there is no way she can help me too. We aren’t planning to do the more intense rides. It’s more to spend some time together and for the nostalgia.

With covid they haven’t been using the fingerprint scanner.

are you solo or with a group? thinking seatbelts and lap bars have someone in your group help with them. same with getting out. I would preplan this not leaving it up to getting on or off time. different problem but I had a problem when group went ahead at a ride where I had to switch to wheelchair and had no one to push me

They aren't doing the fingerprint scanners at this point and likely won't until the pandemic is gone. Even then, I'm usually fine with those because they don't require any real strength and only gross coordination.

Lap bars are easiest; most either go automatically (like on omnimovers) or with minor coaxing when it's time to disembark (easy enough to kind of nudge/shove with the back of a forearm). Buckles are another story. I'm trying to think of which rides use them, and the main one I'm thinking of is Star Tours. So for that one, if my hands were giving me trouble, I would usually kind of loosely hold the buckle end between my thumb and the rest of my hand, and I usually have enough arm dexterity to buckle it that way. It may take a few tries, but there's plenty of time while they load that ride. Unbuckling is harder, I think I would just kind of jab at the button with my thumb tbh. I don't remember offhand how difficult the buckle is to open, sorry. I seem to remember it not being too easy to release, so if your mom or other traveling companion can press down on the buckle release better than you can, you may want to have her sit on your left side so she can open it at the end.

I travel with my partner, though he's smaller than I am so he can't do much manhandling or push me in a manual chair. We'll need to figure that part out for the rides that make me switch out of my electric chair on this trip, as I wasn't in a chair the last time we were at the World and DL has different policies about it.

They aren't doing the fingerprint scanners at this point and likely won't until the pandemic is gone. Even then, I'm usually fine with those because they don't require any real strength and only gross coordination.

Lap bars are easiest; most either go automatically (like on omnimovers) or with minor coaxing when it's time to disembark (easy enough to kind of nudge/shove with the back of a forearm). Buckles are another story. I'm trying to think of which rides use them, and the main one I'm thinking of is Star Tours. So for that one, if my hands were giving me trouble, I would usually kind of loosely hold the buckle end between my thumb and the rest of my hand, and I usually have enough arm dexterity to buckle it that way. It may take a few tries, but there's plenty of time while they load that ride. Unbuckling is harder, I think I would just kind of jab at the button with my thumb tbh. I don't remember offhand how difficult the buckle is to open, sorry. I seem to remember it not being too easy to release, so if your mom or other traveling companion can press down on the buckle release better than you can, you may want to have her sit on your left side so she can open it at the end.

I travel with my partner, though he's smaller than I am so he can't do much manhandling or push me in a manual chair. We'll need to figure that part out for the rides that make me switch out of my electric chair on this trip, as I wasn't in a chair the last time we were at the World and DL has different policies about it.
Thanks for this. It’s exactly the kind of specific information I was hoping to find.
:)

@Baldy - One of the things that helped my Mom the most (for cold/sweaty drink cups especially) was big ol' fat rubber bands. Slip one around the cup/tumbler/can/bottle, and it helps prevent it from just slipping on through your fingers. If you want to use your Resort Mug (I *LOVE* the new fancy Tervis-style mugs that we got in January when we were there) you can still loop a rubber band over the handle, stretch it around, and then loop it back on the handle on the other side (you might need a BIG rubber band for that! LOL) but it can be helpful. 🙂 Lots of places sell key holders (and things like lamp turn switches) especially for folks dealing with hand issues - often under the heading of "arthritis aids" or something similar.

Have you considered something like this that would offer stability for standing purposes, as well as a "helping hand" for when you need to carry a meal, or other item(s)? The design means you don't have to grip it like a traditional walker/rollator style; you use both your arms and your hands to help.

Beyour walker

It would also give you a surface to place trays (for QS meals) or other small items on/in, and of course, you have a built-in seat for times when you need to rest. You could "park" it when riding rides, or shopping, and then come back and move it as you go from area to area in the Theme Parks. You would not have to use it all the time.

If you have/use a traditional walker, there are trays that fit over the top of one so that you can carry things easier; obviously it would need to be a wheeled walker (not the kind that must be picked up and put down every few steps)

Walker tray

Speaking of trays, I found this:

One handed tray

I didn't even know this existed - what a great idea! Not really a tray, but not really a basket either!

These are just ideas; hopefully they will help spark a solution that is right for you 🙂

And please, please, please don't worry if you do happen to drop something - it happens all the time at Disney World!

Buckles are another story. I'm trying to think of which rides use them, and the main one I'm thinking of is Star Tours. So for that one, if my hands were giving me trouble, I would usually kind of loosely hold the buckle end between my thumb and the rest of my hand, and I usually have enough arm dexterity to buckle it that way. It may take a few tries, but there's plenty of time while they load that ride. Unbuckling is harder, I think I would just kind of jab at the button with my thumb tbh. I don't remember offhand how difficult the buckle is to open, sorry. I seem to remember it not being too easy to release, so if your mom or other traveling companion can press down on the buckle release better than you can, you may want to have her sit on your left side so she can open it at the end.

I'm trying to think of which rides have seatbelts and buckles besides Star Tours. If memory serves me right, there are seatbelts on Astro Orbiter, Tomorrowland Speedway, Soarin, Test Track, Smuggler's Run, Dinosaur, and Kali River Rapids. I would love it if someone can confirm or add to this list. There are some rides I've only been on once or twice, and others I've been on a lot that I just don't remember. However, you can always check with the CM at the front of the ride who will be able to give you all the information you'll need. Some rides even have a test seat you can try out before getting in line. The CMs are really honest when it comes to the limitations on their rides and they'll help you make a decision.

@Baldy - One of the things that helped my Mom the most (for cold/sweaty drink cups especially) was big ol' fat rubber bands. Slip one around the cup/tumbler/can/bottle, and it helps prevent it from just slipping on through your fingers. If you want to use your Resort Mug (I *LOVE* the new fancy Tervis-style mugs that we got in January when we were there) you can still loop a rubber band over the handle, stretch it around, and then loop it back on the handle on the other side (you might need a BIG rubber band for that! LOL) but it can be helpful. 🙂 Lots of places sell key holders (and things like lamp turn switches) especially for folks dealing with hand issues - often under the heading of "arthritis aids" or something similar.
Using rubber bands is a great idea and I will definitely be getting myself a one handed tray.

Everyone here has been so helpful.
How do all of you deal with people staring, or avoiding eye contact or making comments...? There have been times when I really should have used a wheelchair or another assistive device, but I can’t bring myself to do it I am too self-conscious and embarrassed - And if I don’t and I fall on someone (which has happened 😞 ) or drop something, I just want to crawl under the nearest rock. It’s lose-lose.

Using rubber bands is a great idea and I will definitely be getting myself a one handed tray.

How do all of you deal with people staring, or avoiding eye contact or making comments...? There have been times when I really should have used a wheelchair or another assistive device, but I can’t bring myself to do it I am too self-conscious and embarrassed - And if I don’t and I fall on someone (which has happened 😞 ) or drop something, I just want to crawl under the nearest rock. It’s lose-lose.
I remember walking out of MK on Main Street when a mother pulled her young daughter next to me not leaving room for my cane and said now dont put that cane down on her and I looked at her and said if I can not put cane down there is a good chance that I fall onto your daughter as I fall your choice. should have seen her move her daughter back behind her where she was to begin with

I remember walking out of MK on Main Street when a mother pulled her young daughter next to me not leaving room for my cane and said now dont put that cane down on her and I looked at her and said if I can not put cane down there is a good chance that I fall onto your daughter as I fall your choice. should have seen her move her daughter back behind her where she was to begin with
Lol Great response. Good for you.
I wish I was that brave. (I’ll work on it)

I just tell myself that the people staring at me are in the happiest place on earth and instead of having a wonderful time, they are focusing on another guest and their own opinions. I kinda feel bad for the other people who have decided to be irritated in Disney World.

I use a powerchair but i can get up to take a couple steps into a ride vehicle. I am sure plenty of people think i am faking. But I made the conscious choice to ignore them. Ignorant people are not my problem. Some have tried to say something to me, generally beginning a conversation with "What is wrong with you?" I ignore them as if they hadn't spoken.

You have to make your own decisions of course. But once I decided to ignore them, and a little time had passed, I have stopped noticing a lot of the looks. You have to decide what you need for yourself, and do the best for yourself. I'm not saying it is easy, but it is possible.

Lol Great response. Good for you.
I wish I was that brave. (I’ll work on it)
sad part is it was true what I said and I out weighed her young child by a lot. think she thought I was joking until my husband got a better hold on me. she sure moved her child fast

A word on the “Walker trays”. The ones I bought for my dad’s Walker SEEMED to fit very well. But if your tray isn’t balanced perfectly, you may end up with a lapful or jut over the front of you and on the ground. I’ve tried a couple different ones, but had the same problem with both. Just our experience. You may have better luck.

A word on the “Walker trays”. The ones I bought for my dad’s Walker SEEMED to fit very well. But if your tray isn’t balanced perfectly, you may end up with a lapful or jut over the front of you and on the ground. I’ve tried a couple different ones, but had the same problem with both. Just our experience. You may have better luck.
Good to know. Thanks

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter