Surprising my family November 30th with trip to DL

lurpee

DIS Veteran
My 40th birthday is the 29th and it's been a rough year work-wise for me which has meant for my family (working regularly between 65 and 85 hours a week). So, on November 30th I am picking up DH and the girls from school at 11 AM (DH works at their school). I had already told DH to keep the weekend open because I wanted to do something for my birthday but didn't know what. Now I'm faking a dental appointment in Portland (the principal and secretary do know what the truth is). I'm thinking I am not going to tell them until we get to the airport, or as close as I can to it.

Anyway, I need to book our flights today. We're staying at the DLH which I am going to try to not tell them until we get there. I am going back and forth between JetBlue to Long Beach or anything to LAX. Normally I would have this all planned out but I just can't think right now and since I'm doing this secretly I can't spend hours on here searching.

So if anyone has any advice or can think of something I am not thinking of, I would really appreciate it. We'll be in the park the 1st and 2nd, flying home on the 3rd.

Flying from Portland, OR to the LA area. Want to get to the hotel inexpensively but really as stress-free as possible. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel (first time ever). We have two day Park Hoppers and get early entry both days. We have Character dining with Minnie and at Ariel's. I want to do Fantasmic as only DD9 and I have seen it (when she was five). Anyway, any and all info on airports and anything else would be appreciated. I'll be at work for the next 14 hours so I will be able to check in here. TIA!

Have you considered flying into SNA? Might be cheaper/easier.

If you like, I'd be happy to send you a few DL maps to help with the surprise. If you'd like me to, simply PM me your preferred mailing address and I'll drop them in the mail this Sunday from the park. I've done that fora lot of people lately.

Hope you all have a great time. Working those kinds of hours, you deserve a break!

My 40th birthday is the 29th and it's been a rough year work-wise for me which has meant for my family (working regularly between 65 and 85 hours a week). So, on November 30th I am picking up DH and the girls from school at 11 AM (DH works at their school). I had already told DH to keep the weekend open because I wanted to do something for my birthday but didn't know what. Now I'm faking a dental appointment in Portland (the principal and secretary do know what the truth is). I'm thinking I am not going to tell them until we get to the airport, or as close as I can to it.

Anyway, I need to book our flights today. We're staying at the DLH which I am going to try to not tell them until we get there. I am going back and forth between JetBlue to Long Beach or anything to LAX. Normally I would have this all planned out but I just can't think right now and since I'm doing this secretly I can't spend hours on here searching.

So if anyone has any advice or can think of something I am not thinking of, I would really appreciate it. We'll be in the park the 1st and 2nd, flying home on the 3rd.

Flying from Portland, OR to the LA area. Want to get to the hotel inexpensively but really as stress-free as possible. We are staying at the Disneyland Hotel (first time ever). We have two day Park Hoppers and get early entry both days. We have Character dining with Minnie and at Ariel's. I want to do Fantasmic as only DD9 and I have seen it (when she was five). Anyway, any and all info on airports and anything else would be appreciated. I'll be at work for the next 14 hours so I will be able to check in here. TIA!

If you are picking family up at 11am, what is your travel time to PDX?
SNA or LGB are preferred but if necessary LAX might be the only option now.
LGB JetBlue flights are limited.
SNA has more options but the cost is getting up there....
Plus seating availability to sit together is going to be slim too

Good luck.

Attachments

• 2017-11-10 001.JPG
    2017-11-10 001.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 2017-11-10 002.JPG
    2017-11-10 002.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 3
Have you considered flying into SNA? Might be cheaper/easier.

If you like, I'd be happy to send you a few DL maps to help with the surprise. If you'd like me to, simply PM me your preferred mailing address and I'll drop them in the mail this Sunday from the park. I've done that fora lot of people lately.

Hope you all have a great time. Working those kinds of hours, you deserve a break!
That is so nice of you! I will message you my PO Box in a minute.

If you are picking family up at 11am, what is your travel time to PDX?
SNA or LGB are preferred but if necessary LAX might be the only option now.
LGB JetBlue flights are limited.
SNA has more options but the cost is getting up there....
Plus seating availability to sit together is going to be slim too

Good luck.
I forgot I told him 10:30. It takes 90 minutes. I'm leaning towards JEtBlue at 2 PM. In the past I have flown into LAX, Orange County (is that SNA?) and Long Beach. I loved flying into Long Beach. Orange County was in '95 and I don't remember the time to the airport. Thanks so much everyone!

Cool. How many would you like? I can send a maximum of four.
Something is going on with my computer and it's not letting me message you. Thanks!

Thank you so much! I edited to remove my address! Thanks again!

Last edited:
Both Long Beach and Orange County (SNA) are preferable to LAX. They are closer to Disneyland and also just so much easier in terms of getting in and out, through security, etc.

Got it! Envelope printed. Feel free to edit/delete your address from the above post now :-).

I forgot I told him 10:30. It takes 90 minutes. I'm leaning towards JEtBlue at 2 PM. In the past I have flown into LAX, Orange County (is that SNA?) and Long Beach. I loved flying into Long Beach. Orange County was in '95 and I don't remember the time to the airport. Thanks so much everyone!
The LGB Jet Blue flight 1:59pm will board 30 to 40 minutes prior to take off (if their on time) so it looks like that might be the best option.

If you can't find a good option for Sunday out of LAX, SNA or LGB, here's a thought.
Go to Universal Studios on Sunday and fly out of Burbank (BUR).

SNA is Orange County airport or also known as John Wayne.

Here's a link to transportation from LGB. It has rates.
http://www.lgb.org/travelers/transit.asp

Attachments

• 2017-11-10 004.JPG
    2017-11-10 004.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 3
Incidentally (and this goes for all four map requests I've had this week), the envelope in which I send your maps will be folded however the maps will not be :-).

Unfortunately orange country (sna) is no longer very cheap from Portland. We flew into lax this time because it was significantly cheaper, as well as flying into Burbank next month for half the price as sna.

Unfortunately orange country (sna) is no longer very cheap from Portland. We flew into lax this time because it was significantly cheaper, as well as flying into Burbank next month for half the price as sna.

I wish this wasn't true but it is. We fly in and out of SNA every trip because we love the airport and proximity to the parks etc. Luckily we don't have kids and the extra cost is doable for us, but I can see why if you had kids and are budget minded that it would make a big difference. I find it much cheaper to fly to LAX, or Long Beach with Jet Blue if you are on a budget.

-Lane

Try Virgin America. I fly them all the time to Chicago. They're a fantastic airline and round trip from Portland to LA on Nov 29 - Dec 4 is $206 non-stop with great flight times. I recently booked my flight back to Chicago from LA for Christmas. $105 out the door!

Two it is! I'll mail them Sunday from the park. You should have them in ample time.

Do you want two of DL or one of DL and one of DCA?[/QUOT
Got it! Envelope printed. Feel free to edit/delete your address from the above post now :-).
Thank you so much! When I saw this and the other responses I edited my post, and then went straight to JetBlue and got our tickets. It took FOREVER as I had to call them because I kept giving me an error (different computer from earlier). But we are booked to fly out at 2 PM on the 30th and come home at 11 AM on Sunday. I am stoked.

Thank you for your help and whatever maps you want to give me is fine. I really appreciate it!

The LGB Jet Blue flight 1:59pm will board 30 to 40 minutes prior to take off (if their on time) so it looks like that might be the best option.

If you can't find a good option for Sunday out of LAX, SNA or LGB, here's a thought.
Go to Universal Studios on Sunday and fly out of Burbank (BUR).

SNA is Orange County airport or also known as John Wayne.

Here's a link to transportation from LGB. It has rates.
http://www.lgb.org/travelers/transit.asp
Thank you so much! I am going to check out the LGB tansportation rates now as I booked the 1:59 PM trip. Thanks for your help!!!!

Happy Birthday party:

A few comments...
...We'll be in the park the 1st and 2nd, flying home on the 3rd.
You may also take advantage of EMH on the 3rd (checkout day), if you choose to upgrade to a 3 day hopper.
Dec 2-3 is Candlelight at DL, which can slow movement around Town Square in the afternoon/evening.
...I want to do Fantasmic as only DD9 and I have seen it (when she was five).
Fantasmic is significantly changed since you last saw it, there have even been many changes since the show restarted in July.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter