Swear Words That Aren’t Swear Words

Are you an Aussie per chance? I’ve found in the past most people overseas didn’t know that term. It is used quite a lot in our household 🤣
Haha, I wish! I was watching some type of show set in England a few years back and heard it and it unfortunately (or fortunately?!) stuck lol

I didn't find out until later what the word meant :oops: Oh well, still gonna say it lol

I call it “replacement cussing” to my middle school students and don’t allow it. I tell them it’s the same as using the actual words.

Haha, I wish! I was watching some type of show set in England a few years back and heard it and it unfortunately (or fortunately?!) stuck lol

I didn't find out until later what the word meant :oops: Oh well, still gonna say it lol
It’s an everyday word pretty much here in Australia. It’s the closest to a swear word my teens will use in front of me.

For anyone playing at home, a “wanker” in Australia is a masturbator for the want of a better description. Paul Hogan once had a character on our tv called Leo Wanker whom we all thought hilarious in the 70’s.

I feel horrible reading this thread. I’m afraid that we use the real versions in my household and that includes my teenager. I have to counsel her to NOT curse in front of other adults though lol. I grew up in a household that you did not curse at all for whatever reason and I clearly did not follow that legacy.

My favorite TV show is Hart of Dixie and a favorite "swear" of Dr. Breeland on that show is "Fudge sticks up a Fudge Tree" That one always gave me a good laugh.

It’s an everyday word pretty much here in Australia. It’s the closest to a swear word my teens will use in front of me.

For anyone playing at home, a “wanker” in Australia is a masturbator for the want of a better description. Paul Hogan once had a character on our tv called Leo Wanker whom we all thought hilarious in the 70’s.

My husband uses that one with the hand signals a LOT while driving!

So I have several Mormon and Jehovah's Witness friends and they say Sugar. "Oh Sugar" for example. Always find it amusing to see some builder mess something up and yell "Oh Sugar." Worse they have to hear me yell all sort of words obscenities when I mess up.

As for Feck - someone mentioned it earlier. Its a much more polite version of the f work and its allowed on TV etc.. - although almost anything seems to be allowed on TV in Ireland\UK these days. Its used quite a bit in Ireland as are many other colorful words. Depends on the group yo hang out with I am sure. When my kids were young they called swears Irish Words, since that is where they heard them the most.

I am pretty sure Bono said Fecking on an award show in the US and it was misinterpreted, but I may be wrong. he may have just used that to cover for it. I am tired of him anyway, hasn't been good since the War album as far as I am concerned.

My grandfather would rarely swear, and in fact I don't ever remember him using any cuss words.

But he would say, "CRIPES!" pretty often.

I will swear if I am not at school in front of kids. When I am in front of kids I use "God Bless America" my students find it so funny because they know I want to swear. I teach high school students for reference.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter