Teenagers - a boy and girl - in a value?

in our family, it was the youngest (my son) who had the issue. He didn't want to sleep with his sister because she tosses and turns a lot. I didn't mind sleeping with her, it didn't bother me.

Thanks all for your replies. There are a lot of good suggestions here! Since I am the step-mom, I might be overly sensitive about "doing the right thing". I myself only had sisters and we all shared beds so I am trying to be more aware than maybe a bio-mom would be about a brother and sister in the same bed.

I wonder if my step-daughter might not want to sleep in the same bed with me. And I would prefer to sleep with DH since I'm just used to it. Certainly no funny business would be happening when there are kids in the room - haha. As for the kids, we have gone on family vacations where they have slept in the same bed when they were a few years younger and they dealt with it but I know they would prefer to have their own space. Since my step-daughter is a more grown-up girl (she is already about 5'4" and taller than me!) and my step-son is almost as tall as his dad at about 5'10", I think it would be a tight squeeze for them in the same bed even if they weren't the type to bicker and/or be silly.

The rollaway cot rental someone suggested (may have been a different thread) and the air mattress options seem like good ideas for us. The idea of staying at POR 5-person room with the murphy bed sounds like a good deal but when I look at the size of that bed, it seems like it would be a tight fit for a 12 year old who is about 5'4" inches now ... let alone in another 7 months. Note that both their dad and their mom are tall people.

Thanks all for your replies. There are a lot of good suggestions here! Since I am the step-mom, I might be overly sensitive about "doing the right thing". I myself only had sisters and we all shared beds so I am trying to be more aware than maybe a bio-mom would be about a brother and sister in the same bed.

I wonder if my step-daughter might not want to sleep in the same bed with me. And I would prefer to sleep with DH since I'm just used to it. Certainly no funny business would be happening when there are kids in the room - haha. As for the kids, we have gone on family vacations where they have slept in the same bed when they were a few years younger and they dealt with it but I know they would prefer to have their own space. Since my step-daughter is a more grown-up girl (she is already about 5'4" and taller than me!) and my step-son is almost as tall as his dad at about 5'10", I think it would be a tight squeeze for them in the same bed even if they weren't the type to bicker and/or be silly.

The rollaway cot rental someone suggested (may have been a different thread) and the air mattress options seem like good ideas for us. The idea of staying at POR 5-person room with the murphy bed sounds like a good deal but when I look at the size of that bed, it seems like it would be a tight fit for a 12 year old who is about 5'4" inches now ... let alone in another 7 months. Note that both their dad and their mom are tall people.

My SO being the step parent is mostly why the kids sleep together. When I was with my XH (their father) we would do girls in one bed and boys in the other. Now my DS would find it completely weird to sleep with my SO. Lol. My son is 17 so basically a man. He's not up to sleeping in bed with his stepdad.

We've used an air mattress at POP before and it fit into the room just fine. We might have shifted the table a bit to make space, but no big deal. Just lean it up against the wall during the day so there's more floor space for walking. The thermarest ultra lite luxury cot looks like a good idea, but it's $200. If you're going to spend that much money, get a bigger room, LOL! (I got our air mattress at Walmart for $35 and it has a pump for filling it up.)

For the vacation, I'd do a boys bed and girls bed. I get you are used to sleeping with hubby, but I think you could make an exception. It's your cheapest option, unless you want to bring an air mattress.

For the vacation, I'd do a boys bed and girls bed. I get you are used to sleeping with hubby, but I think you could make an exception. It's your cheapest option, unless you want to bring an air mattress.

I dunno. If I were the girl, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable sharing a bed with a woman who isn't my mom. If this were a conventional nuclear family, I'd agree with you.

I dunno. If I were the girl, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable sharing a bed with a woman who isn't my mom. If this were a conventional nuclear family, I'd agree with you.
That of course depends on family to family. If the OP is concerned about it, which is a valid concern, then it would be best to speak to their step-daughter in regards to how they may prefer to sleep. Since cost is of a great concern as well it doesn't have to be an open-ended question to the step-daughter. Even just saying "If we only have 1 room what sleeping arrangement would be the most comfortable for you? Sleeping on an air mattress/cot? Sleeping with your brother or would you be opposed to sleeping in the same bed as me (though that's up to them if they want to mention that)?"

That of course depends on family to family. If the OP is concerned about it, which is a valid concern, then it would be best to speak to their step-daughter in regards to how they may prefer to sleep. Since cost is of a great concern as well it doesn't have to be an open-ended question to the step-daughter. Even just saying "If we only have 1 room what sleeping arrangement would be the most comfortable for you? Sleeping on an air mattress/cot? Sleeping with your brother or would you be opposed to sleeping in the same bed as me (though that's up to them if they want to mention that)?"

This sounds like a great idea and much better way than my husband approached it. He just said to my step-daughter in a jokey way "hey princess, do you care if you have to sleep in the bed with your brother on vacation." (note that I didn't put a question mark because he didn't have any question-type inflection in his voice). I couldn't hear her response and I wasn't in the room to see her facial expression so I'm still unsure how she reacted ... likely she just thought her father was being silly once again. Men!

So he and I have been discussing cots and air mattresses. The more I think about it, the more I think two rooms would be amazing in this situation if we can swing the extra cost. We would have two bathrooms and two separate spaces for downtime. The 2018 rates can come out any time now so we can see if the cost of two rooms is doable!! My very vague guesses show that a MOD would cost about $900 more than a value for the same time so if I can wrap my head around that cost difference, maybe I can justify two rooms. I can't know that until I know the actual cost of rooms for that week. I sincerely wish those 2018 rates would be released!

This sounds like a great idea and much better way than my husband approached it. He just said to my step-daughter in a jokey way "hey princess, do you care if you have to sleep in the bed with your brother on vacation." (note that I didn't put a question mark because he didn't have any question-type inflection in his voice). I couldn't hear her response and I wasn't in the room to see her facial expression so I'm still unsure how she reacted ... likely she just thought her father was being silly once again. Men!

So he and I have been discussing cots and air mattresses. The more I think about it, the more I think two rooms would be amazing in this situation if we can swing the extra cost. We would have two bathrooms and two separate spaces for downtime. The 2018 rates can come out any time now so we can see if the cost of two rooms is doable!! My very vague guesses show that a MOD would cost about $900 more than a value for the same time so if I can wrap my head around that cost difference, maybe I can justify two rooms. I can't know that until I know the actual cost of rooms for that week. I sincerely wish those 2018 rates would be released!
I feel you on the guy thing :laughing: I can so just imagine how she might have felt when her dad is joking around like that :o

Two rooms, like I mentioned in my earliest comment, honestly may not be the worst thing especially if you're already thinking about the pricing of Mods. I believe the 2018 rates should be released fairly soon. I want to say they were either June or July 2016 when they released for 2017 (don't quote me on that). And I totally understand swinging the extra cost. Here's to hoping you get those rates soon enough to help with budgeting pixiedust:

We were just at POR and got a room that slept 5 but it was my daughter and I. So I would not count on the rooms only going to parties of 5. I would think if you requested Alligator Bayou you would have pretty good odds of getting one.

The murphy beds at the mods are small...my kids (age 9 and 11 at the time) couldn't fit on them..

I would go with two value rooms...it will be near the cost of 1 moderate. And, 2 bathrooms ;)

Can you afford a family suite? The kids would each have their own bed that way.

I have a 13yo boy and 10 yo girl. When we go they share a bed, however, my daughter brings a sleeping bag with her. My son sleeps in the bed and under the covers and she sleeps on top of the bed in her sleeping bag. That seems to work well for us! Perhaps an idea!

Those family suites seem really pricey! I agree that it's a great idea but it seems to cost more than just getting two rooms ... I think? After all of this likely-useless research of this year's rates I'm forgetting which scenario costs what prices. I'm seriously making myself crazy and need a stiff drink.

We have a similar situation, but the kids are 9 and 16. And my husband will not sleep in a bed with a child while he's on vacation. He just told them that whoever squeaks loudest about sleeping in the bed with their brother/sister will be on a cot or air mattress (not a preferable option for either). The same bargain went for our recent trip to D.C. and they slept in the bed just fine. Of course, now we aren't sure that either one will fit in the new Pop rooms....

Kids that age either two rooms or as we always did in our family mom and daughter in one bed and dad and son in the other!!

Those family suites seem really pricey! I agree that it's a great idea but it seems to cost more than just getting two rooms ... I think? After all of this likely-useless research of this year's rates I'm forgetting which scenario costs what prices. I'm seriously making myself crazy and need a stiff drink.

A suite at AS Music costs only a little more than 2 rooms at All Star resorts. Also, if you get two room, they are not guaranteed to connect. The suite has 2 full bathrooms, a bedroom with a door (so funny business is possible!) and my 3 kids each had their own place to sleep in the other room. It has a small fridge, coffee pot, microwave, paper towels & plastic ware, 2 TVs. I point of entry. Lots of places to plug stuff in.

Kids that age either two rooms or as we always did in our family mom and daughter in one bed and dad and son in the other!!

I agree. It may be possible to put 2 younger siblings in the same bed but I think they are too old to be sharing a bed. I like the 2 value rooms idea or even the roll away bed. I think that would be more comfortable than an air mattress and allow for a better sleep.

I am shocked at the people that think it's ok for brother/sister to share a bed as teenagers. I guess I feel like if it's not acceptable at home then why should it be while on vacation. I know in NY state a parent could be charged for allowing it to happen. Too many variables of things that could go wrong.

Update! We talked about this as a family and both DD and DS agree that they do not want to share a bed and they understand the cost aspect. At best, we will try to swing the cost of two rooms or a family suite. At worst, we are planning to bring an air mattress and they have agreed to split the week. DD will get the bed for one half of the trip, DS for the other half. I will ask Mousekeeping to change the sheets half way through (I can't imagine they change sheets every night for a multi-night stay, right?).

We are also planning a short trip the summer to Hershey Park and this got the conversation going for that too. DD has already asked that we get the twin sized air mattress ahead of time so we can use it for that trip. Progress ... :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter