Temp Checks

True, but it comes down to is the customer wanting it. I recently went through a hotel buffet breakfast, now served cafeteria style, and was spoon fed items. Meaning a tiny little spoonful of each item. I haven't been to a Disney family service yet but did go to a local restaurant that converted to family style. It was not very good and they brought small little dishes of food for the table requiring us to ask for more right away. We decided we won't bother going back.
Disney is not serving that way - take Garden Grill - food is coming all the time and you get way more than you could ever eat. The quality of food from Disney's buffets has vastly increased since the change to the new style. Disney family's love the buffets and Disney knows this.

Disney has NOT chosen how to proceed with buffet dining yet.
YES IT HAS...you missing the announcements and how buffet dining returned? Not saying it will not return to true buffet at some point - but it has returned in the format that Disney deemed safe!

Disney is not serving that way - take Garden Grill - food is coming all the time and you get way more than you could ever eat. The quality of food from Disney's buffets has vastly increased since the change to the new style. Disney family's love the buffets and Disney knows this.

That is called family style dining and is not new - Garden Grill has been that way for years.

I agree the quality can be less at some (although the new format of bring the food to the table - like Garden Grill's - is sounding to be much better in quality and is being widely praised) - I personally never get my moneys worth in food, however, our kids love them and it is a much more relaxed atmosphere and thus an enjoyable option. Can't wait for Cape May Cafe to reopen! That is one of our favorites.

Agree. WE do them every once in a while. I prefer family style like Garden Grill. Buffets are exhausting with little kids, once they are bigger they are easy. But I would never wish them to go away just because they aren't our favorite.

It is also what has taken the place of buffets...

I KNOW. Family style is NOT buffet and is much safer and easier for families who don’t have to send people up in shifts. For years we have loved Disney’s family style character meals at Garden Grill and Ohana breakfast, long before Covid. Much prefer that to the buffet chaos.

I am talking about how they will choose whether or not they ever want to bring back the traditional self serve buffets, which many people (not me) seem to want to return.

Buffet and family style are two different formats. We have always preferred family style over buffet and I personally see Disney keeping the meals family style indefinitely, but time will tell.

I KNOW. Family style is NOT buffet and is much safer and easier for families who don’t have to send people up in shifts.

I am talking about how they will choose whether or not they ever want to bring back traditional buffets, which many people (not me) see to want to return.

Ohana breakfast has been family style for years as well.

Buffet and family style are two different formats. We have always preferred family style over buffet and I personally see Disney keeping the meals family style indefinitely, but time will tell.
LOOK, people were asking about now - buffets are now family style - who knows if they come back, if they do great (I like them) but for now and the foreseeable future they are replaced with family style. Argue with me all you like - semantics are just that.

The negative tone in these threads just is astounding...this is how it it is - no choice - take my opinion or else. There are alternatives and adjustments that Disney has made and a lot of them for the good. Choices are what helps us cope with different situations - it's not wrong either way you choose.

LOOK, people were asking about now - buffets are now family style - who knows if they come back, if they do great (I like them) but for now and the foreseeable future they are replaced with family style. Argue with me all you like - semantics are just that.

You and I are on the same page here. Right now they are offering family style dining in place of buffet. But they are not the same thing. Disney will decide if they keep family style only long term or bring back the traditional self serve buffets.

Anyway, isn’t this a thread about temp checks 🤣

You and I are on the same page here. Right now they are offering family style dining in place of buffet. But they are not the same thing. Disney will decide if they keep family style only long term or bring back the traditional self serve buffets.

Anyway, isn’t this a thread about temp checks 🤣
Agreed. And I am quite happy that they have removed the temperature checks, with or without buffets.

The temp check thing was absolute theatre from the beginning, even the CDC stated that.

WDW also pulled back a TON of those portable hand washing stations, again based on the CDC saying those as well were theatre as they relate to the transmission of covid. Though at least there is some value in washing hands in general.

This tells me two things, Disney is ignoring Florida and Desantis(as they should) and relying purely on the CDC at this point. Given how conservative the CDC has been(this is Fauci's opinion that he even thought they were going overboard on some regulations), I would put WDW on a minimum 60 day delay versus the rest of the country. Meaning if things are "back to normal" by July 1st just Assume that is September 1st for WDW.

Furthermore, all airlines have maintained masked through Sept 13, so I highly doubt Disney wants to do anything before that.

My prediction. Nov 1st will be the date for mask removal and full capacity. Not a single second before then. Oh, and they are canceling AP's and will offer a discount legacy card. No more tickets.

The temp check thing was absolute theatre from the beginning, even the CDC stated that.

WDW also pulled back a TON of those portable hand washing stations, again based on the CDC saying those as well were theatre as they relate to the transmission of covid. Though at least there is some value in washing hands in general.

This tells me two things, Disney is ignoring Florida and Desantis(as they should) and relying purely on the CDC at this point. Given how conservative the CDC has been(this is Fauci's opinion that he even thought they were going overboard on some regulations), I would put WDW on a minimum 60 day delay versus the rest of the country. Meaning if things are "back to normal" by July 1st just Assume that is September 1st for WDW.

Furthermore, all airlines have maintained masked through Sept 13, so I highly doubt Disney wants to do anything before that.

My prediction. Nov 1st will be the date for mask removal and full capacity. Not a single second before then. Oh, and they are canceling AP's and will offer a discount legacy card. No more tickets.
I think that after July 4th - we will see more relaxing of procedures and the return of fireworks. Masks outside rolled back in July...October 1st looms large for Disney and there is a lot riding on the 50th $ numbers. My opinion only...I have been wrong once.

Yeah but you get a lot of other stuff from touch. Cleaning is a good thing.
I alwasy take disinfectant wipes and wipe down all high touch areas of any room in which we stay no matter the price point. I do the same on planes. This was habit long before Covid for us. Since I started this I have not gotten a cold/flu on any vacation we have taken. Coincidence?? Who can say for sure? I just know prior to I seemed to always get some type of flu bug.

I alwasy take disinfectant wipes and wipe down all high touch areas of any room in which we stay no matter the price point. I do the same on planes.

Same here. You never know if someone has coughed or sneezed on a surface, and goodness knows planes are never cleaned as well as they ought to be.

The strategy behind the temp checks is not to catch sick people entering the park, it's to keep sick people from coming at all.

If you are sick, many people will go anyway and "tough it out" or just take some medication. For a high-stakes visit to Disney, you don't want feeling a bit under the weather to stop you, do you?

If you are sick and know about the temp check, you may be less likely to visit the park because of fear of being rejected at the gates.

The check raises awareness that if you are sick, you'd better stay home.

This is similar to the strategy Disney used with its finger scanners at the gates. How well did those things work? Do they do anything at all? They would often "turn them off" when there were big crowds. But they serve as a psychological barrier so you don't share your neighbor's annual pass.

It’s actually Disney’s choice to bring them back or not, and not anybody else’s.

Disney will choose what format they would like to proceed with from a logistical, business and health perspective and either bring back buffets or not. Doesn’t matter what all the keyboard warriors on either side have to say.
But actually it does. B/c it is all the ridiculous PR that’s making them do this in the first place. It’s precisely the keyboard warriors who they have to be wary of b/c it seems they prefer the safety theatre even if it doesn’t always make sense.

Last edited:
The strategy behind the temp checks is not to catch sick people entering the park, it's to keep sick people from coming at all.

If you are sick, many people will go anyway and "tough it out" or just take some medication. For a high-stakes visit to Disney, you don't want feeling a bit under the weather to stop you, do you?

If you are sick and know about the temp check, you may be less likely to visit the park because of fear of being rejected at the gates.

The check raises awareness that if you are sick, you'd better stay home.

This is similar to the strategy Disney used with its finger scanners at the gates. How well did those things work? Do they do anything at all? They would often "turn them off" when there were big crowds. But they serve as a psychological barrier so you don't share your neighbor's annual pass.
Except that you can’t cheat a fingerprint scanner but can take a fever-reducing medication. At some point, we have to let people be responsible for their own actions & risks again. Ppl are going to cheat the system & come in sick & it’s up to you (collective) to decide if that’s ok with you when you visit.

I don’t think they do either. I’m a teacher and had to them for a good part of the year and the kids temps would read 92 or 93 in the winter and as we got into spring they were suddenly 97 and 98 everyday. Those forehead scanners just aren’t accurate. Thankfully we’ve stopped temp screens at school.
They haven't stopped it at my workplace yet, but yeah, I understand why they used the forehead scanners for lack of invasion, but they aren't accurate. I always used an ear thermometer growing up and find that to be much more accurate, but I doubt people would be receptive to it.

Since they weren't effective, it makes sense to get rid of them. Less lines is good. :)

Disney has chosen - we can see what format they have chosen and most are very happy with the service and quality of food. Buffets are a huge draw for Disney and getting them back in some fashion was a priority and I think they have done a pretty good job.
Family style is way superior to a buffet when you have little ones. No more chaos trying to get plates for your toddlers and bonus the food is hot and fresh. I for one love the changeover of the buffets to family style all you can eat.

True, but it comes down to is the customer wanting it. I recently went through a hotel buffet breakfast, now served cafeteria style, and was spoon fed items. Meaning a tiny little spoonful of each item. I haven't been to a Disney family service yet but did go to a local restaurant that converted to family style. It was not very good and they brought small little dishes of food for the table requiring us to ask for more right away. We decided we won't bother going back.
Disney is pretty generous with what they bring out at their family style restaurants in my experience and are quite good at keeping everything refilled.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter