Tent Camping on a Full-Hookup Site?

Cinderelli

DIS Veteran
Hi all! We are contemplating a quick weekend trip this weekend. I've called and there are only full hook-up sites left. Will we feel really strange camping in our tent in the middle of all of the other nice campers & motorhomes? Can anyone think of any advantages to this?

How about the electical hook-up? Is it something we could plug an extension cord into and perhaps cook in our crockpot? Or is it a special type plug?

How dark does it get at night? We only have a battery operated lantern and flashlights. Should we invest in a lantern that burns fuel (gas, whatever they take?)?

Have any of you done this before (tent camped on a full hook-up site)?

This will only be our second time camping and the first time was just a month ago with the cubscouts. We're pretty new at this. Any suggestions or helpful hints would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Lissa

Go and enjoy yourself! There is an area behind the RV slab that you can pitch your tent. Nobody will say anything about you having a tent, in fact, although they won't say so some will be slightly envious of you to be really camping in a tent.

In the electric box there are regular 15 amp plug-ins that will handle your extension cords along with 30 & 50 amp plug-ins for the RV's.

There are street lights around so although it is dark in the campground, it's not totally dark. Why don't you bring a small table lamp or two to light up your site? You have the electricity.

Have yourself a great weekend! You mention that this would be your second camping trip. (I think I remember reading about your first w/ son and the scouts.) Anyway, you'll find people who camp to be friendly no matter what your accomodations. When we were at FW last, there were a number of big motorhomes, our 30' TT and then a VW camping van (don't know what they really call it) pulled in. Cutest van you ever did see! And friendly people to boot! Go and have fun!

I agree, go and have fun. I have seen lots of folks tent camping on full hook up sites.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm excited about it. I just have to convince DH it won't be too hot. I think this would probably be our last opportunity to camp before fall (because of our great humidity during the hot months). If we make it, I'll post a report when we get back.

Thanks again to all!

Bring an air conditioner! I'm not even kidding! You could probably do a search on it & see that tent campers do sometimes travel with an AC unit. You'll have the electricity, so why not? :)

You won't feel funny at all. Just enjoy. I agree about the air conditioner. We are going May 31. 6 families, some in tents, some in campers. The tenters are bringing single unit ac's and putting them on a plastic Coke Crate at the zipper door. I have seen it done at Disney and other places. They say it really helps. Just remember to have the outside part of the AC a little lower than the inside part.
Have a great time.

We have done it many times. If you have a window unit A/C bring it. Although a fan should be all you need at night this time of year.

We take a small desk light for in the tent and a clamp on light for outside. I have 2 gas lanterns but I have not used them in years. We always camp on sites with electricty so why bother with them when it is so easy to flip a switch. Bring a couple heavy duty extention cords and a power strip for in the tent.

We plan on going weekend after next when the rates come down (this Sunday night). I have a hard time justifing $65-$75 for a campsite, Even at FW. I love FW but $75 gets you a pretty nice room even on Disney property through priceline.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter