The DisFort's Chit Chat Cafe

Thought I posted these from last trip, but maybe I didn't because i had 0 conectivity. So in cape may they have a little bike you can ride on the rails. A bit more work then i was used to, it was about 1 month past the meniscus surgery. We did fine, i was hurting afterwords, but its therapy! 20230629_151219.jpg20230629_150646.jpg20230629_150635.jpg20230629_143742.jpg20230629_142711.jpg20230629_142645.jpg

Attachments

• 20230629_144236.jpg
    20230629_144236.jpg
    196.9 KB · Views: 3
@Teamubr @4077 Sorry about that. I was editing my transition to FW when I looked at the clock and had to go. So I chose to post. The 600 loop is so pretty, but shocker it’s half empty!!

Also 300 loop is closed, looks like they are working hard to refresh the sites.

Today was MK with Jessica and I along with my Framily. We started out with Space Mountain on early entry and then over to breakfast at Crystal Palace.

IMG_6532.jpeg

After breakfast and some character pictures we were off for some rides. We snagged some early Tron virtual queue and were waiting to be called. So first it was odd to Haunted mansion to visit our 999 favorite ghosts. By then we where close for queue call hit the laugh floor on he way. By the time we got out it was time to check in. Tron was fun,Jessica didn’t ride, but coasters are not her thing. She still walked the queue with us.

aftwards the other family wanted to hop to AK,we are not hopping at all this trip. So J and I ticked off our list of rides she would ride with me. We had a blast!

And bonus, both times a storm hit we were indoors already enjoying a snack. First a LeFues brew, then later for dinner When it really came down!

71115149568__737C8E89-B468-44FD-9728-1463483CC639.jpeg

Sadly whole time I’m getting updates from Melissa. Their flight was delayed. As I type they are finally here in Orlando. They took an Uber and I’m going to pick them up at the settlement In a few minutes!! I can’t wait to see them!

J and I stayed through the MK fireworks and so glad to see Happily Ever After back! We had prime watching location!

IMG_6545.jpeg

Till tomorrow friends!

I have a random question for anyone with a swimming pool and a sand filter.

Has any switched from sand to the "Filter Balls"?

1689951437411.png 1689951453826.png

I have a lot of trees around the pool and struggle with pollen clouding up the pool. The pollen is so fine, the sand can't catch it and I have to constantly use clarifier and flox to keep it clear. Every time it rains, it washes so much in that it takes a few days to clear it up. The filter balls are supposed to catch things down to 5-10 microns vs 40 microns for sand.

I was wondering if anyone has tried them and if they work.

j

I have no idea, no pool , but did you try the skimmer socks yet? They came up when I was looking for ideas to clean out the hot tub.

I have a random question for anyone with a swimming pool and a sand filter.

Has any switched from sand to the "Filter Balls"?

View attachment 779409 View attachment 779410

I have a lot of trees around the pool and struggle with pollen clouding up the pool. The pollen is so fine, the sand can't catch it and I have to constantly use clarifier and flox to keep it clear. Every time it rains, it washes so much in that it takes a few days to clear it up. The filter balls are supposed to catch things down to 5-10 microns vs 40 microns for sand.

I was wondering if anyone has tried them and if they work.

j
Interesting, time for some research, mine is due for new sand next season

Interesting, time for some research, mine is due for new sand next season
I ordered some. Should be here Wednesday. I've read that you don't backwash them. They hold the dirt so well, backwashing doesn't do much. They say to take them out once a season and wash in a washing machine.

I'll let you know how they work. Pool is mostly clear again. No rain forecast for a while.

20230722_134939.jpg

j

So much more to post. Seems once Melissa and Lauren got there our days where spent more together and less connected to our electronics. The tow home was brutal! We did not get any news or indication of the accident on I95 north. That created over 3 hours of traffic and took us from a 5:30pm arrival in Florance, SC to an 8:45pm arrival even after getting on the road before 9. We did not find out about the accident and backup till we where in Daytona area and sadly by that point options to avoid it where limited and also very very very congested.

We made it north of Jacksonville aroung 4pm and stoped at Love's for some diesel (TSD discounts made it worth it.) We picked up some Subway for Linner, and got back on the road northbound. We had one more stop along the way for a quick bathroom break before getting to Swamp Fox campground. The campground is not much, but it was level, pull through, solid power, good water pressure full hookup site. It was about 1.5 hours before Camp Pedro which for me I needed, getting to SOB at 10pm would have hurt so much more.

On Sunday the drive home was smoot sailing with just a few bathroom breaks and fuel/lunch stop just over the VA border. We got to see the damage from last weeks EF3 tornado in NC that tore a clear path cross I95 N and S!!! The truck run time does include a drive to Typhoon Lagoon and back, otherwise the rest of the time was during the tow up and down and idle time to keep the truck AC running. Fuel cost averaged 3.49 a gallon through TSD, only once did I see anything nearby that was cheaper was a QT but it was before I needed to stop for fuel so we bypassed and kept going.

IMG_6785.jpeg

Jim sounds like you got stuck in a Jacksonville Accident problem. We now try to plan our travel in that area for weekdays over weekends. Another big perk is we can limit our travel to 300 miles or less per day. One of the best perks in being retired. I found that 295 Western spur is a much better option than going straight thru Jacksonville. Our last 3 trips we just missed accidents that shut down 95 for hours. Hence we opt for the 295 bypass.
Have to giggle as I last night, I came across MAP for SOB and plan to give it to my Sister and BIL , who will soon be permanent Snowbirds. For Us this 50 miles +/- of the midway point for our Disney trip. Camp Pedro is good for an overnight stop, when doing limited hook ups ie Electric and Water only. JMHO.

@FtW Mike We take the eastern 295 spur and its never an issue and a lot less stress then going through Jacksonville. However, this was south of St. Augastine area, so in order to bypass it was a lot of back roads and going up US1 though downtown St. Augastine as the first option. Second option was half the traffic and then connect to US1 north of St. Augastine via FL16, our friends took that route. We chose options 3 to sit it out in the middle lane for a bit and once we got through the traffic and remaining right lane closure, we where only 2 minutes behind our friends that took the alternative route arriving at Loves north of Jacksonville.

We discussed a slower roll but then that meant less Disney time as we had appointments and obligations to make on Monday. The drive to Florance is 465 miles, nothing I can't handle really and the reason I pushed with my friend to not try to make it all the way to south of the border which he wanted to do. I plan everything on a 50mph average which takes into account stops and we roll usually in the 65-68mph rang where the truck is happy. The next day was about another 8 hours on the road , but once again that includes bathroom, lunch and fuel stops so its closer to 6.5-7 hours of actual driving. One day when I can ill stick to the 300 mile rule, which is 6ish hours.

Jbrostek , South of St Augustine ? Could have been a great opportunity to do a BUC-EES expensive , I mean extensive stop. We have avoided the Eastern Bypass as I once read that, local Beach Traffic and some bridges make it a less than desirable option. Need to move to the Consider Option
Like you we plan with the idea that we will Travel 50 miles per hour of travel. We likely stop a bit more than you do for Fuel and Potty calls. We do Disney in Dec/ Jan so I want to stop before 4pm so I do our set up while it is still light out. Getting our little band together and on the road by 10am is a feat in itself so a shorter travel day for us works better. That and we have found some local attractions along the way that if available we like to stop for as well. Happily today we have the option of a longer travel itinerary and can spread our trips out.

Last edited:
After my first experience navigating the Daytona Buc-ees I will never take an RV into that one every again. Whoever designs that parking lot has NEVER towed a big trailer. The Florance location isnt much better, and since I am a diesel and can carry a good amount of fuel its wort it to use the TSD program and truck stops

As for stops, we stop about ever 2-2.5 hours for a streach and break, I just don't need fuel each stop which is nice when I can just use a highway rest area.

Since the HOT/Toll lanes opened the eastern bypass has not been bad at all even with beach traffic. We been using it the last 2 trips without issue.

With my 100% WFH now I could span out the trip, but DW preferes to get a pet sitter for the pups on these trips because she doesn't want to have to worry about pup walks and going to and from the parks. I agree with her on these particular trip because we are usually gone 10-12 hours. And with the lack of flexibility with the reservation system (cannot wait for it to be gone) we can't change our plans as easilly. By 2024, when we go for DisMeet maybe she will start to see its not that bad. I do hope to use this flexibility more even next summer.

Mike, We always took the Eastern bypass, although we spent the night at my aunt's visiting on the way south. She lived off of Beach Blvd. and it was on the way. Also took it northbound on the way back. Traffic wise I noticed it getting heavier as the years went by. I think you can count on all routes around and through a major metropolitan area will be pretty heavy.

Our 1st RV trip to WDW we stayed at Flamingo Lake Resort which is off western spur. I found it good so stuck with it. Then read what I did on Eastern and just said " If it ain't broke , don't fix it!"
When we have hit Jacksonville on those rare occasions when RUSH HOUR was not an issue I have stayed on 95 and done okay . The last few trips have been thinking differently, as accidents occurred less than 5 minutes behind us that shut the road way day for hours.
Jim, HINT NEVER EVER hit a BUC_EES on a WEEKEND. We hit St Augustine and Florence on week days and not a major Deal. Hit Daytona on 2 different Sundays and Never again.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter