The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

Status
Not open for further replies.
When complaining to the manager doesn't work what do you do ? I was faced with this situation last year while eating at the Cape May for dinner . We were a party of 15 and our drinks were never refilled and plates were not cleared we were just rather ignored by our server. To top it off my friends son was very ill , so her husband had to take him and sit with him out in the lobby and never ate & they were still charged there dinning credits. I complained to the manager & she did nothing .

I guess this year I'm just afraid that something like this will happen again since we will be a party of 7 our whole entire trip and wanted to know if there was something I could other than alerting a manager to the bad service ?

I've too have had the auto gratuity (last March) and as you know, it's just part of the bill. The only way to not pay the whole bill is to talk to a manager because the balance of the bill has to be settled before you leave the restaurant.

You may need to be specific with the manager, "Jane" never returned to our table to clear plates or give refills and I'd like you to adjust her gratuity to $X as I feel 18% is not appropriate.

When complaining to the manager doesn't work what do you do ?
It's a bit like renting a DVD from Blockbuster Video and not liking how well the movie looked when played from your DVD player. You can talk to the manager of the Blockbuster Video, and try to get some reduction in the price, or refund for that matter, but if the manager says "no" what is your recourse?

<snip> I complained to the manager ...
When did you complain, specifically?

My experience has been that Disney, and really almost every full-service restaurant that I've ever had concerns about service at, has been pretty darned responsive to my service complaints, almost always rectifying those complaints on-the-spot (i.e., no reduction in tip or bill, necessary), ranging up to comp'ing our meals for whatever inconvenience we experienced. (The one exception was Anthony's Pier 4 in Boston, by the way. I never got any satisfaction on that one -- I basically had to, pardon the pun, "eat it".)

To top it off my friends son was very ill , so her husband had to take him and sit with him out in the lobby and never ate & they were still charged there dinning credits. I complained to the manager & she did nothing .
NOT putting any blame or responsibility on you or any member of your party, but (a) at what point did the two members of your party leave the restaurant; had either/both eaten anything; and did you stress this to the manager (and if so, to what degree)? We took my mom out to the North End for Mothers Day one year, she got sick at the table, the waiter removed her plate AND my plate (which was completely edible but which I had not yet had a chance to touch) and yet both were on the check). And to what degree did you stress your displeasure with the service, or lack thereof? Apparently - although it should not be this way, at Cape May when dealing with that manager, it must me necessary to include the statement, "... and so because we did not get reasonable service, the mandatory service charge needs to be adjusted down (or eliminated) by you".

Also, it is MOST effective to bring service issues to the attention of management WHILE they are occurring - or not - rather than when the check arrives. Again, I am not criticizing or blaming or assigning ANY fault or responsibility to WrightFamily06 - this is merely general advice. Some of it is truly general, and some was determined based on her specific experience.

I've too have had the auto gratuity (last March) and as you know, it's just part of the bill. The only way to not pay the whole bill is to talk to a manager because the balance of the bill has to be settled before you leave the restaurant.

You may need to be specific with the manager, "Jane" never returned to our table to clear plates or give refills and I'd like you to adjust her gratuity to $X as I feel 18% is not appropriate.

Thanks so much , I guess I need to tell the manager flat out what I wanted done about the waiter or waitress bad performance from now on. I just told the Manager what she had done wrong and not what I wanted done about it , I will make sure to try this next time . Thanks again :goodvibes

It's a bit like renting a DVD from Blockbuster Video and not liking how well the movie looked when played from your DVD player. You can talk to the manager of the Blockbuster Video, and try to get some reduction in the price, or refund for that matter, but if the manager says "no" what is your recourse?

When did you complain, specifically?

My experience has been that Disney, and really almost every full-service restaurant that I've ever had concerns about service at, has been pretty darned responsive to my service complaints, almost always rectifying those complaints on-the-spot (i.e., no reduction in tip or bill, necessary), ranging up to comp'ing our meals for whatever inconvenience we experienced. (The one exception was Anthony's Pier 4 in Boston, by the way. I never got any satisfaction on that one -- I basically had to, pardon the pun, "eat it".)

If the manager says no I usually contact there corprate offices or the higher up to the manager . I guess I just didn't take the time to do this with Cape May because we were vacation and I didn't have the extra time to do so .

I complained to the manager about half way through the meal after I asked to speak to her and she basically showed on concerned to what I was saying .

Good point Kaytie. I think one thing that folks should keep in mind is that the first step in getting good service is insisting on it. As much as we want to be able to believe that it should just be delivered to us without prompting, and in an non-monetary context that is the case, we really should provide the restaurant a very clear opportunity to "make things good" (i.e., as I alluded to before, report the bad service early enough so that they could fix what is wrong such that you would not expect any compensation for the bad service you temporarily had).

I suspect, as the economy gets tighter, restaurants (not necessarily Disney, but in general) will be working harder to "keep the money" and make up for service irregularities with remedial service, at least. For gross irregularities, perhaps free desserts, or, at most, "next meal free/reduced" arrangements, rather than "this meal free/reduced".

If the manager says no I usually contact there corprate offices or the higher up to the manager .
Yup, and you definitely could do that with Blockbuster Video, as well. The analogy works really well. Unfortunately, I think, with my Antony's Pier 4 scenario, I was actually complaining to Anthony the IIIrd. ;)

I guess I just didn't take the time to do this with Cape May because we were vacation and I didn't have the extra time to do so .
This is a really good point: Is it worth working for that extra bit of satisfaction (monetary or otherwise)? We always need to ask ourselves that question, and accept that sometimes the right answer is, "No, it isn't worth pursuing further satisfaction." I suppose you could say that that is the decision that I made in my Antony's Pier 4 scenario; I could have worked my way up to Anthony, Sr. (Yes, I know he died in 2005, but this happened before that.)

NOT putting any blame or responsibility on you or any member of your party, but (a) at what point did the two members of your party leave the restaurant; had either/both eaten anything; and did you stress this to the manager (and if so, to what degree)? We took my mom out to the North End for Mothers Day one year, she got sick at the table, the waiter removed her plate AND my plate (which was completely edible but which I had not yet had a chance to touch) and yet both were on the check). And to what degree did you stress your displeasure with the service, or lack thereof? Apparently - although it should not be this way, at Cape May when dealing with that manager, it must me necessary to include the statement, "... and so because we did not get reasonable service, the mandatory service charge needs to be adjusted down (or eliminated) by you".

Also, it is MOST effective to bring service issues to the attention of management WHILE they are occurring - or not - rather than when the check arrives. Again, I am not criticizing or blaming or assigning ANY fault or responsibility to WrightFamily06 - this is merely general advice. Some of it is truly general, and some was determined based on her specific experience.

I think I'm seeing here that my biggest mistake was not telling the manager what I wanted done about the bad service. I guess in mind set as being in management myself before , I felt that she would know the appropriate way to compensate us . If one of my customers came to me and experienced bad service I would come up with something to cure there displeasure in my staffs service , not them tell me what to do.

As far as the meal is concerned my friends husband & son had no food on there plates when they left the restruant nor did they have anything to eat . I complained to the manager half way through the meal .

Thanks so much for all your help :)

It happened to us at just about every place we ate ~ so I was wondering if any of you all had the same thing happen?
Nope, but since you experienced it at more than one restaurant (and assuming from more than one server - and surprisingly, many servers work part time at multiple locations), you should ABSOLUTELY write to Walt Disney World about your experience. You can list the restaurants or not - your choice. You can just say, "At almost every restaurant where we ate while using the Dining Plan in 2008...".

Really, that's just plain WRONG of the servers. Aside from your absolutely correct observation that once is plenty - many, many, many Guests each time/year are using the Dining Plan for the very first time, and so are likely not even aware (at least from personal experience) that it ever even did include the gratuity.

That's just wrong. That in itself would tend to make me calculate the tip more exactly (and I'm usually pretty generous).

WrightFamily06 said:
I think I'm seeing here that my biggest mistake
No, no, no. You did not make a mistake. It is just apparent to me, now, reading your experience, that MORE action is required at Cape May than the typical "The service we are getting/got is not deserving of an 18% gratuity. This, this, and this happened or did not happen". There's no way you, or anyone, could have known that statement would not be sufficient to get satisfactory. It's only now, six months later, reading your experience as a totally impartial DISer (as if there's any such thing ;)) that I can recommend a different course of action.

In your place, at that time? I probably would have done exactly what you did and not a thing more. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that :teeth:

Nope, but since you experienced it at more than one restaurant (and assuming from more than one server - and surprisingly, many servers work part time at multiple locations), you should ABSOLUTELY write to Walt Disney World about your experience. You can list the restaurants or not - your choice. You can just say, "At almost every restaurant where we ate while using the Dining Plan in 2008...".

Really, that's just plain WRONG of the servers. Aside from your absolutely correct observation that once is plenty - many, many, many Guests each time/year are using the Dining Plan for the very first time, and so are likely not even aware (at least from personal experience) that it ever even did include the gratuity.

That's just wrong. That in itself would tend to make me calculate the tip more exactly (and I'm usually pretty generous).

No, no, no. You did not make a mistake. It is just apparent to me, now, reading your experience, that MORE action is required at Cape May than the typical "The service we are getting/got is not deserving of an 18% gratuity. This, this, and this happened or did not happen". There's no way you, or anyone, could have known that statement would not be sufficient to get satisfactory. It's only now, six months later, reading your experience as a totally impartial DISer (as if there's any such thing ;)) that I can recommend a different course of action.

In your place, at that time? I probably would have done exactly what you did and not a thing more. Hindsight being 20/20 and all that :teeth:

Thanks so much for making me feel better about my original question and I'm glad to see you would have done the same thing . I feeling like I was being attacked there for awhile for what I did and did not do . LOL :)

Anyway in my experience and I know every one's is different . When we ate as a family of 5 and we got to pick our tip, our service was wonderful. When we ate two times during our trip & our party was 15 we had terrible service , it just led me to think that when you know your already are getting your tip some don't work as hard .I was worried this would be the case this year since we would be a party of 7 and was wondering what others did when this happened to them and there was no choice but to pay the 18% . Hope this makes everyone understand my reasoning behind my original post better.:confused3

Sorry I hope this hasn't already been covered in this thread but there are so man pages it was hard to go through all of them.

We are on the DDP and plan to eat at Hoop Dee Doo review one night. I seen where the tip is "included" for dinner shows. So does this mean it will automatically be added and I will have to pay that amount or that the tip is "covered" and I will not be expected to pay an additional tip. Does that make sense? Also we are going with another family and will be a party of 9. I know at other resturants they will automatically add the 18% but at HDDR if it's "covered" will make any difference if we are a party of 9? TIA

Sorry I hope this hasn't already been covered in this thread but there are so man pages it was hard to go through all of them.

We are on the DDP and plan to eat at Hoop Dee Doo review one night. I seen where the tip is "included" for dinner shows. So does this mean it will automatically be added and I will have to pay that amount or that the tip is "covered" and I will not be expected to pay an additional tip. Does that make sense? Also we are going with another family and will be a party of 9. I know at other resturants they will automatically add the 18% but at HDDR if it's "covered" will make any difference if we are a party of 9? TIA

The tip is covered :thumbsup2

Hi There: Just curious what others tip at Disney Buffet Restaurants like Chef Mickeys, Boma, Cape May Clambake, Crystal Palace, etc.?

We usually leave around 20% but with money tight these days, I'm wondering if it would be ok to do a little less at a buffet?

Just looking for opinions....not trying to start a debate.

Thanks!!!

Hi There: Just curious what others tip at Disney Buffet Restaurants like Chef Mickeys, Boma, Cape May Clambake, Crystal Palace, etc.?

We usually leave around 20% but with money tight these days, I'm wondering if it would be ok to do a little less at a buffet?

Just looking for opinions....not trying to start a debate.

Thanks!!!

You'll find that generally people tip from 10% - 20% for buffets. There is no real consensus among Dis'ers. (Which is why discussing personal tipping habits is not allowed on the boards anymore, personal tipping habits always ends in a debate of what is 'right' and 'wrong')

So long as you aren't a party of 6 or more, or are using the Tables in Wonderland (DDE) discount card (and subject to an 18% auto gratuity) you are free to tip at your discretion.

Disney doesn't distinguish a difference in their Auto Gratuity between regular TS or buffets, so if you're subject to an auto gratuity it's 18% no matter where you dine.

Hope this helps you out :)

We will be using the DDP for our next trip, and will have Tables in Wonderland for other incidentals. Will our automatic 18% tip be based on just the tables in wonderland part, or also the DDP part? (party of 5) Also anyone know if I have to mention that we have TIW at the beginning of the meal? I guess what I am wondering is if our server will know they are getting an automatic tip and maybe not have that incentive to give their best effort.
Donna

My question is how much do you give ur server at character meal when they only bring you 1 maybe 2 drinks, and you serve yourself at the buffet. Is it 15-20% of a $120 bill for dropping off drinks one time and checkin in later.

My question is how much do you give ur server at character meal when they only bring you 1 maybe 2 drinks, and you serve yourself at the buffet. Is it 15-20% of a $120 bill for dropping off drinks one time and checkin in later.

As a party of 6+ we are autotmatically charged 18% gratuity. I very often leave more than that though, since I usually find the service at WDW restaurants to be outstanding.

You'll find that generally people tip from 10% - 20% for buffets. There is no real consensus among Dis'ers. (Which is why discussing personal tipping habits is not allowed on the boards anymore, personal tipping habits always ends in a debate of what is 'right' and 'wrong')

So long as you aren't a party of 6 or more, or are using the Tables in Wonderland (DDE) discount card (and subject to an 18% auto gratuity) you are free to tip at your discretion.

Disney doesn't distinguish a difference in their Auto Gratuity between regular TS or buffets, so if you're subject to an auto gratuity it's 18% no matter where you dine.

Hope this helps you out :)

I worked in the restaurants for 20+ years, the best advice I can give is never leave untill you are sure everything is to your satifaction. You spoke with a manager, but was that the floor manager or the manager of the restaurant.
Also you are at Disney, there is alway someone higher up that will make things happen. I know you probably could not have sat around and waited for it to get resolved to your satifation ,but at a place like Disney things like bad service are hopefully unusual happenings!
sorry if I rambled!:mic:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter