The Disney Tipping Info Thread *Updated 9.1.09*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I tip whenever I pay. If I pay after each round then that's when I tip. If I have tab, then I tip when I close it out.

I'm sorry if this was already answered but I found it hard weeding through so many pages. We will NOT be on the dining plan when we go in December. There will be 4 of us (2 adults, 2yr old and 3 yr old) I know that the receipt will give a suggested amount of 18-20% for tip and I know I read somewhere that unless we have 6+ people, the tip is at our disgression. But I recall reading somewhere that they can actually charge your room key if they don't feel you tipped the right amount. Is this true or only if your party is a larger party?

I dont' want to stir up any problems just trying to get the facts incase we run into a rare situation where we are not thrilled with the service. In general we tend to tip at least 20% since we have 2 messy eaters and I know serving kids (lots of napkins, drinks, etc) is a hassle for any server. But if there is a problem and we don't feel that the server deserves 18-20%, will we be charged on our room key the additional amount to add up to the 18%??

Again, we're not on the dining plan but would be probably charging it all to our room key. But if it's better to just pay by credit card, we can do that too!

Thanks for the help/advice!

I'm sorry if this was already answered but I found it hard weeding through so many pages. We will NOT be on the dining plan when we go in December. There will be 4 of us (2 adults, 2yr old and 3 yr old) I know that the receipt will give a suggested amount of 18-20% for tip and I know I read somewhere that unless we have 6+ people, the tip is at our disgression. But I recall reading somewhere that they can actually charge your room key if they don't feel you tipped the right amount. Is this true or only if your party is a larger party?

I dont' want to stir up any problems just trying to get the facts incase we run into a rare situation where we are not thrilled with the service. In general we tend to tip at least 20% since we have 2 messy eaters and I know serving kids (lots of napkins, drinks, etc) is a hassle for any server. But if there is a problem and we don't feel that the server deserves 18-20%, will we be charged on our room key the additional amount to add up to the 18%??

Again, we're not on the dining plan but would be probably charging it all to our room key. But if it's better to just pay by credit card, we can do that too!

Thanks for the help/advice!

WDW will not charge your card if they feel you didn't tip well. Tipping is up to the diner unless otherwise noted (large parties, TIWC). And of course you can tip using your room key. Hope this helps :)

I throw down a benjamin and tell the bartender to keep em coming!

Not really, but it would be fun to do ;) :cool1:

But I recall reading somewhere that they can actually charge your room key if they don't feel you tipped the right amount. Is this true or only if your party is a larger party?

If you have a party of 6 (or more) or use the TIW card, an automatic gratuity of 18% will be on your bill before you sign it. I have never heard of Disney (or any restaurant) charging more for your tip than you authorized. I'm not a lawyer, but I would think there would be legal issues if they did that :scared:

I thought there was a designated tip thread, but I couldn't find it, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Is the 18% suggested tip (party of 5) based on pre-tax or with tax amount? I'm just trying to properly budget for tips. Thanks!

We are going to Disney with my sister in law, her dh, and 2 kids.... and it is my dh and I. Total of 6. We made a couple of adr's together and was wondering if they will allow us to get 2 checks instead of 1?

Since we are 2 families we are each on the ddp. so not sure how we would work out the tipping thing where we would be a party of 6 and gratuity already included...

Anyone able to get seperate checks?

We are going to Disney with my sister in law, her dh, and 2 kids.... and it is my dh and I. Total of 6. We made a couple of adr's together and was wondering if they will allow us to get 2 checks instead of 1?

Since we are 2 families we are each on the ddp. so not sure how we would work out the tipping thing where we would be a party of 6 and gratuity already included...

Anyone able to get seperate checks?

You can get seperate checks, but both will have the 18% gratuity on them.

I thought there was a designated tip thread, but I couldn't find it, so sorry if this is in the wrong place.

Is the 18% suggested tip (party of 5) based on pre-tax or with tax amount? I'm just trying to properly budget for tips. Thanks!

It's pre-tax :goodvibes

yes that is true. I asked a CM about it when I called reservations. :) (in response to the person who stated that you can use the 200 gift card for the final room bill in which you can charge tips to)

Do you always have to tip (10%, 15 % or 20%) at the CSR Pepper Market ?

If you do 'take-out', to your room. do you still tip ?

If you are on the DDP, is tip still required if you sit down to eat at a table ?

Please help us decide if we should do the PM and stay at CSR.

Do you always have to tip (10%, 15 % or 20%) at the CSR Pepper Market ?

Pepper Market is a Counter Service, so you don't have to tip there. However, if you are not on the DDP, you are charged a 10% service fee. We were on the DDP last year and I recall paying the 10%, but people have told me since that you don't have to pay it if you are using the DDP.

If you do 'take-out', to your room. do you still tip ?

I have never done this, but I think the room service menus state there is an automatic 18% gratuity for room service. At least the ones at CSR say that.

If you are on the DDP, is tip still required if you sit down to eat at a table ?

Tipping isn't "required", but it is also not included with the DDP, so if you would normally tip, you should tip.

Please help us decide if we should do the PM and stay at CSR.

PM is a great deal if you are on the DDP. And I have heard nothing but good things about CSR, which is why we are staying there in 10 days :cool1:

Am I able to pay for tips using the room charge? I don't like to carry cash on me while im in the parks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter